Bay Badminton Center rumors.

Discussion in 'Bay Badminton Center ( BBC )' started by samkool, Mar 14, 2007.

1. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    heard a new one will open in burlingame soon, too. 12(?) courts...

2. TLCal

TLCal Regular Member

:cool: I heard a lot of rumors about that, too.... the demand nowaday is sky high:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i guess the rumor is already out there. i have heard conflicting rumors, but they all says it will be in Burlingame, between 12 to 16 courts (16 courts!) and opening some time in April.

4. felisha

felisha Regular Member

student
    heard about one in ssf too

wow, demand in the bay area must really be high coz where i live in south san francisco, somebody is also planning to open one soon. at least that's what i heard from my parents. no idea how many courts though.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i found an address. :)

1611 Adrian Rd
    Burlingame, CA 94010

looking around the Burlingame Voice i found this Burlingame Planning Commission article:

http://burlingamevoice.com/blogs/index.php?title=planning_commission_monday_april_9&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

from the look of it, if they are only just on the planning stage, that means it will take quite a few more months before it opens.

6. monto

monto Regular Member

Interesting stuff, kwun.

Did some more googling and found these:
    1. The domain name baybadminton.com has been registered since Sept 2006, and shows the 1611 Adrian Rd address, so the eventual website of the facility will be baybadminton.com. Also, the registrar has used that address since October 2006, so it looks like there's been much planning in the works over the past 6 months for this location and this permit meeting is a mere formality
    2. Does the name Jeff Lea sound familiar? He appears to be the applicant seeking the commerical permit tomorrow night at the city council meeting

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Jeff Lea. not someone that i know.

from October till now isn't a very long time for planning a big gym i suppose. i remember Bintang took a good 4 or 5 months when they moved.

we will for sure get more and more information as time goes on.

8. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    I'm gonna take a guess and throw out a name of a possible owner.
    Harry.:D Lefty badminton player.
    Those who play at GGBC and smash city will know who I'm talking about.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    but the name of the permit applicant is clearly listed as Jeff Lea. what's the relationship between Jeff and Harry?

but whoever they are, we have gotten some important details. namely the location, in Burlingame, right off 101 and close to the airport; the size, 16 courts; and the facilities, lounge, playzone;

and most important of all, that this is not just a rumor but someone is actually actively realizing it.

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    That's nice! Next time in town I will not have to travel so far :p :D for baddie action.

Are the owners leasing or buying the land?

11. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    They are probably just good badminton friends.:)

Great for Badminton, brings competition among the clubs. Maybe they can have a inter-club tournament.:D

Any guess on the grand opening date?

12. monto

monto Regular Member

Did some more googling. After the applicants (Jeff Lea, etc) first applied to have a public "study" of the new Bay Badminton facility, they met at the Burlingame Planning Commission in April, the board had concerns about parking/handicapped spaces, weekend tournaments, traffic, etc. (See the meeting minutes here)

Anyhow, the agenda for the last meeting, June 11 (See agenda here) shows the applicants returned, this time to actually seek approval. I would imagine the applicants used the last two months wisely, from the proposal in April until now, to address the parking/etc concerns. If you look at some of the previous planning commission meetings, most applicants are approved after appropriately addressing the issues posed to them, so we should know if Bay Badminton did their homework in the next few days when the meeting minutes get published online.

16 courts, here we come! (I hope?)

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. it will be 16 courts. visit www.baybadminton.com and there are a lot of info including the architectural drawings.

i was told it is scheduled to open in September.

this is very good news for badminton players. as the other gyms are really starting to get crowded.

14. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Regular Member

Bay Badminton Center

Hello fellow badminton enthusiasts,

Yes, all the rumors you have heard are true. Bay Badminton Center (BBC) will soon be a reality. My partners and I have been working very hard to bring one of the most exciting badminton facilities in the United States right here in the San Francisco Bay Area. BBC will have 16 courts, locker/shower rooms for men and women, children's play area, lounge area, refreshment centers and a fully stocked pro-shop.

We are fortunate to have recently acquired Radu Milevschi as our head coach. We are all very excited to have Radu on board.

BBC wiil strive to fulfill every need of all badminton players no matter what level of play. With our world class coaching staff and faciltiy, we will be able to improve skill levels of all who strive to improve their game.

Mr. Harry Tan, Mr. Ronald Fong, Mr. Victor Lo and myself are all committed to bringing the very best badminton experience to all who visit BBC.
    So please keep your eyes and ears open....BBC IS COMING SOON!!!!!

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    here is an aerial photo of BBC. i think they occupy 1/2 of the building?

Attached Files:

16. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Regular Member

Bay Badminton Center

Very nice photo Kwun,

The building is about 60,000 square feet and we occupy about 2/3 of the building. That is why this is such an exciting project for us. The size and magnitude of this project has forced us to work hard and do extensive planning.

We have hit some obstacles along the way and will maintain our focus despite some negativity.

We are very excited to bring this club to the Bay Area and provide all players with the best in badminton services.

BBC Team

#16 Ben Lee, Jun 22, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  17. monto

monto Regular Member

Thanks for confirming these rumors, Ben. Many of us on the peninsula and beyond are looking forward to "the largest dedicated badminton facility in the United States"!

What is the current projected membership/drop in rate? Hopefully it will be competitive with that of the other bay area facilities.:)

18. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Regular Member

Hello Monto,
    sorry if my reply takes awhile. I don't get on the internet often enough. Yes, our drop in fees will be competitive ($8) for a regular drop in fee.....discounted for passes...please check the web site periodically for updated pricing on drop in and membership fees. Thanks for the inquiry.
    Ben

19. apacsports

apacsports Regular Member

I'm really impressed after viewing the project plan. To make it happen, it must take not only tremondous commitement, but also a great passion for badminton. My solute to all your team members and best wishes to your success! -APAC Badminton Club, Union City, CA

#19 apacsports, Jun 25, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  20. yba501

yba501 Regular Member

Did Monto manage to check the meeting minutes yet? Are they going to open soon? I hope they do so I can go check it out from Los Angeles!

Yaba