Badminton: Rexy to put in extra effort

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by ixory, Jun 24, 2007.

1. ixory

ixory Regular Member

Badminton: Rexy to put in extra effort

NST Online

NATIONAL doubles coach Rexy Mainaky has sacrificed going to Thailand Open and China Masters just to be with Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong to help them revive their inconsistent form.
    Rexy had earlier withdrawn Kien Keat-Boon Heong from the Thailand Open, to be held on July 3-9, so that the pair can focus on their preparations for the World Championships on Aug 13-19. He felt that it is only fair he remains in Kuala Lumpur to guide the struggling pair.

Rexy had initially planned to make the trip to the Thailand Open and China Masters (July 10-15) where five pairs — Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah, Fairuzizuan Tazari-Zakry Latif, Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock, Chan Chong Ming-Hoon Thien How and Gan Teik Chai-Lin Woon Fui — will be competing but the responsibility has been left to his assistants Pang Cheh Chang and Chang Kim Wai.

"The most important thing for Kien Keat-Boon Heong is for them to regain their form before the World Championships, which means the preparations in the next several weeks will be very important," said Rexy.

"This is why I am staying back to help them get back to where they were before. I’ve decided to withdraw them from the Thailand Open and it is my responsibility guide in training.

"At the moment, Kien Keat is recovering quite well as he is has the maturity but Boon Heong needs more help. He is inexperienced and when the pressure gets to him, he starts cracking.

"Both players agreed they shouldn’t be playing in Thailand and I’m glad to see that they are reacting positively in training and the team building camp which was held during the weekend in Malacca.

"I’m very optimistic that they can make a strong comeback in the World Championships and give our title chase a big boost."

Rexy had also planned the team building camp in Malacca which was held Thursday through Saturday where players were put through mental training and team activities to regain their energy and focus in a totally different environment.

The coach said the camp was held to break monotony in training but was geared at the players’ focusing on teamwork, the most important aspect in doubles, and overcoming fear through several physical activities conducted by a retired army officer.

"The camp was refreshing experience for the players and as it took them away from their regular training sessions," said Rexy.

"Most activities focused on team effort but the players also put through several activities to overcome their fear. This is important as players at times fail not because their opponents are formidable but their own fear which limits their ability.

"There was very good response. Kien Keat and Boon Heong also looked encouraged and I am optimistic they will keep digging deep to rediscover their form again."

Kien Keat-Boon Heong will begin their tough route to the top again today while the rest of the players will be hoping that their new experience in the three-day camp will be helpful when they compete in the Thailand Open and China Masters.

2. Nephrus

Nephrus Regular Member

What dedication, I wish he was my coach

3. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Rexy is really a very good coach and we Malaysian are really lucky to have him. KKK/TBH and the other player should treasure Rexy as he is really put in a lot of effort to the national team.Hope that all his hard work pay off.

4. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    dedicated coach award winner goes to:

REXY MAINAKY!!!! :D