Choose Between Eagnas Challenger I, Alphas Pioneer DC Plus and Revo 4000

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by badminteniss, Jun 24, 2007.

1. badminteniss

badminteniss Regular Member

I play both tennis and badminton and string only like 1 to 2 rackets/month. I have narrowed down to Alpha Revo 4000, Alpha Pioneer DC Plus and Eagnas Challenger I. Really need some expert advice to finalize the decision.

1. How much does Pinoneer DC Plus and Eagnas Challenger I weight in lb or kilo?

2. Revo 4000 is said to be 70lbs, a bit too heavy to move from garage to sitting room (I don't have enough space in garage to provide 360 degree clearance around Revo 4000). Can I move Revo 4000 in 2 or 3 seperate pieces without having to use screw drivers to take apart the machine?

3. Does Pioneer DC Plus' turntable base has a ball bearing device or not? Challenger I has ball bearing device, and Eagnas.com says Pioneer DC Plus is without ball bearing device.

4. Does crank machine grip the string as hard as drop weight machine, or crank grips less hard? I have a Clippermate drop weight today and it flatterns tennis string pretty badly. Will a crank machine be better for the life of the string?

5. How good is the quality of Eagnas flying clamp vs. Alpha's? Which brand has high quality badminton flying clamp?

Thanks.

2. KingO

KingO Regular Member

RN
    I play both badminton and tennis myself. I own an Alpha Revo, and very satisfied with it. I'm not an expert but I can give you some advice from my experience.

I chose the Revo because I plan on upgrading to the Wise 2086 tension head later (much, much later). I originally was looking to get the LaserFibre TT Eco but got tired of waiting after 4 months. I also looked at comparable Eagnas machines (Combo 810/910), but didn't think the $90 savings is worth the potential headaches. Alpha machines are top notch, and their customer service is even better.

The badminton flying clamps that come with Alpha machines are similar to HiQua, but IMO the HiQua flying clamps are better. I don't have any experience with Eagnas flying clamps. I did get badminton fixed clamps from Eagnas though and the one I got flattens the strings when you clamp them. If you adjust it so it doesn't flatten the strings, the string slips. With careful adjustment I was able to make it work.

Hope this helps. Good luck:).

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Which part flattern the string? The tension gripper or the clamps? If you are using screw adjusted flying clamps, I won't be surprised, as they are not very good to use. :cool:

4. henryix

henryix Regular Member

So, you really have Eagnas' fixed clamps you on the Revo 4000. Do they fit into the bases perfectly? Are they the 3-tooth clamps? Alpha has nice badminton fixed clamps though (like $69/each I think).

5. badminteniss

What about the weight of Revo 4000?

How heavy is Revo 4000? Can you pick it up and move around houses? I like to store the stringing machine in garage and use it in sitting room, so I will have to move it by myself every time I string. I hesitate to buy Revo 4000 only because it might prove to be too heavy to move.

6. KingO

KingO Regular Member

RN
    Yes the Eagnas fixed clamps fits the base of the Revo perfectly. You can even borrow the springs from the Revo tennis fixed clamps to make the Eagnas badminton clamps sit about 1/4 inch below the string bed. I got the Eagnas fixed clamps to save money... my bad (chalk that one up to experience:)).

7. badminteniss

How about the weight of Revo 4000?

I still want to get all my questions answered.... In particular, I am interested in how much does the Revo 4000 weigh vs. Pioneer DC? Any owners of Revo 4000 - how tough is it to carry Revo 4000 and move around the house by yourself? Can I take it apart and move by 2 to 3 pieces and reassumble back without using any tools?
    Thanks.

8. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    DC Plus is around 55 lbs.

None of them are meant to carry around house :D.

Minimum assembly is required: http://www.photostringer.com/alpha_pioneer_dc_plus_01.htm

9. badminteniss

To Pete

1. Does the Pioneer DC Plus have a ball bearing connecting its turn table and its base? Eagnas.com says Pioneer DC Plus only has a metal column without ball bearing.

2. It is interesting to see you put your machine on a trolley with rollers. How sturdy is the trolley? Where did you buy it? Is the machine stable on the trolley? Did you make the wood base by yourself?

Thanks.