User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That's really wierd to have a membership fee less than the price of a tube of shuttles. However, that might be inline with membership fees that other sports clubs in University charge. If so, I think raising the fees may be a little difficult.

As for collecting fees during the session, I think you really have to have a core set of persons who know a lot of the people with one person being the coordinator for fee collection. The rules is to be not to be embarassed in going up to people and asking if they've paid. Take their name down and if they are asked again by a different person if they've been paid, giving their name again should be OK. Tell the person they may be asked again as part of the checking procedure and state it's nothing personal if it happens!

You must do something like this otherwise you will lose a lot of money and your club will get weaker.

As for hiring extra courts, why not do it at the beginning of the semester when initial recruitment is high. Say 4 courts at the beginning of the Uni year. I can imagine that is going to be the busiest time. Keep an option to reduce to 3 courts later in the semester when people start going to other social activities or get buried in coursework.

Make it open knowledge that shuttle prices have got higher and that is why the walk in fees have gone up. Also make it known you represent good value for money compared to other badminton places in town. This price cannot be compared to back at home unfortunately. It's the 'market' rate

Also try to have some system to make matches fair and enjoyable for everybody. This way you keep people coming. I went to one University (once off visitor) in Brisbane where the club seemed to segregate into 2 groups - one for more social players, the other side for more competitive types. That day, I paid my guest fees and ended up with the social players being friendly, taking things relaxed and chatting to people that I was visiting from HK. One of the guys I played with was really nice, saw that I could play at a higher level, and arranged for me to play with the competitive players. I think that was a really nice gesture and showed class. Similarly, it goes the other way. Try to get your good players to play with the social players for a game or two a night. It will strengthen the ties in the club which means revenue for the club. Make sure that this explained to potential members - the good players know what is expected, the social players feel attracted to the club. But do also ensure that similar standard players get a chance to get evenly balanced games during the night as well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many good suggestions already.

Overall, I think being a good leader is not a short term effort, but a long term one. You can't expect to figure out several smart ideas in 2 days, and ride it for the next year or two. Everyday, you need to think, to work, and to get others to involve and help. It requires a lot dedication to run a group. Learn and experiement, try to improve in a regular base, and your club will be heading to the positive direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get shuttlecocks in bulk! Saves cost and u only need to ship once. www.badmintonshoponline.us and www.mybadmintonstore.com offers good prices including shipping.

Next, would be to ensure you do not lose any money and get more people to join. The more the people means the costs contributed individually is lesser. One way is to do a monthly payment. This way, regular players try their best to turn up. But, calculate well cos if they use too many shuttles, someone else might need to cover up the cost. Set a maximum number of shuttles (a nice number like 2 shuttles per game, each game taking 10 mins).

i'm not too sure at this. but, from experience, groups and clubs disband cos of pricing of policies or simply too little players to survive. avoid these probs and u'll do fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm...monthly payment...interesting. I never thought of that...Will have a think about that. It might work...Oh btw, while I'm here..I'm on holiday in Beijing...CBD area...any badminton spots? ...or Pro shops?, hehe...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

y'all think to hard. it's easy. start ruling with iron fist. re-educated those who opposed you.

no, I don't know how. good luck on running the club. while you're in china buy a bunch of decent feather shuttles, coz we know the decent one here is expensive the cheaper one sucks balls big time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In response to hyperactive:

We are thinking of charging roughly $40 for membership next year (to cover the low membership - roughly 40 or so.. ), and to make the prices per session $2 or $3 (depending on how shuttle prices are next year).

We are also fortunate that the university offered $400 per semester for costs, which was a decrease (prior to VSU) of $2,000 per year.. grrrr!

Also plans of buying shuttles from overseas was thought of, but so far, to no avail. Must be more proactive in my approach to trying new shuttles and seeking new sources

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Cheung, I agree with everything u said...will look into those suggestions.

Yeah, I plan to increase it to at least AUD40 per year...

BTW, I'm pretty sure there are fake shuttles here in Beijing. I was looking through the shops and saw plenty of tubes of AS20. Didn't buy any though, looking for ones that I've tried so I can compare.

I DID however buy a fake Nanospeed 9000 Type X though!!! It's exactly the same as the ones that go on eBay for about 50 bucks. My friend bought one off eBay a couple of days ago and started defending it after people like me started criticizing it. His final argument? This: "Haiya, 50 dollars I can buy 4 of this than to get 1 original lar...(singaporean uncle)" I bought this to show off to him!!!

How much did I get it for? AUD16! Will post a thread on it after I take some photos...I tried bending the shaft as far as it will go until I heard a slight *crack* sound...*gulp*...anyone want one? lol...

I'll be goin to another place on Monday...a wholesale kinda place...wanna look for a fake AT800DE to compare to mine...hehe...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2