Receive of Flick Serve (doubles) ibbs video

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by DivingBirdie, Jun 27, 2007.

1. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    During the free period, i have watched a number of Lee's videos from ibbs and i must say that they're very informative and helpful. However, in the receive of flick serve video, i have some doubts.

According to Lee, one should take a few small hops backwards before moving backwards(with a scissors step) and making the hit.

Personally i do not do this, but instead move backwards immediately with the scissor step, then using my racket foot (which is behind) to turn my body and make the hit. If i'm too slow, i'd jump with my racket foot immediately after moving backwards.

Lee has clearly stated that my method is not a good one, but i'm not exactly sure why. I kinda feel that Lee's method doesn't work as fast for me(i'm not questioning his professionalism of course, just wanting to hear some opinions:D). Maybe because i'm not quite used to it yet. But from what i've seen there are indeed varying views on this.
    i hope we can have a poll too:cool:

2. Natrificial

Natrificial Regular Member

Articling Student
    even the best coaches cant tell you a general theory for footwork because of people's different heights, speed and jumping ability.

if you can get it directly without a few adjustment shuffles means you are either or a combo of: super tall, have great anticipation, super quick or receiving bad serves (not to the back line). If you can cut it off because of these factors, then by all means do it!

I think hes talking about a more general situation where people are of average height and quickness and are generally looking to take the short serve and leaning forward. In this case you will be better if you adjust your balance first by making some small back shuffles.

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

well, are you really sure you instantly move?
    the "hop" Lee mentions is a very explicit way (did I use that correctly?) to explain a split step (probably know the term)
    He reckons when the average joe moves back 'normally' he doesn't start explosively enough to reach the shuttle in time, a small hop tensions the legs and ensures an explosive start.

Maybe you are split-stepping, just not that proclaimed as in lee's video...

4. DivingBirdie

student
    u guys have a good point. i guess it's the 'explosiveness' is the key point that Lee's method is trying to tell us.

For me, i feel that because our service-receiving poise is already in a knee-bent position, we will have sufficient 'explosiveness' to move back immediately. I kinda feel that the extra split step in the video seemed to significantly increase time taken, resulting in taking the shuttle lower, even for the case of short people.

I personally find that one scissors step is enough for most people to reach the doubles service line. Even if the shuttle is perfectly placed at the corner, a slight jump backwards(on the racket foot) should allow one to reach the shuttle in time. One scissor step still. In the case of pros who receive service with their faces almost kissing the net, they are also remarkably capable of jumping right to the back really fast(unless they get fooled). So perhaps i can conclude that a person's receiving position would depend on how fast one can move back and smash?

5. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

When you do the split step, the landing will cause your body to stiffen up, meaning whatever force you put out through your legs will work to move your body more directly. Also, right away you'll be outputting a large force rather than ramping it up.

If you're not getting much benefit from the split step, I would suggest taking a look at the reactive strength of your legs. For example, do a vertical jump test first from a pause in the squat position, then again with a hop before the jump. The jump with the hop should be much higher - if it isn't then that means you need more reactive work in your training.

silentheart likes this.
  6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I think Lee's video is spot on; I use his method of movement and also teach it.

From a static starting position, you need to generate some backwards movement quickly. I've never seen anyone cover the distance between front and back service lines in a single jump.

Note that these movements happen very quickly, and all seem to blend into one. They are short, fast movements.

7. jdcastro

jdcastro Regular Member

The two return of serve videos (for low serve and for flick seve) really helped me alot. One thing though, i have to be careful with my spit step not to lift, slide or drag my feet. Might be called for a reception fault. :D

8. gerry

gerry Regular Member

Shots and footwork are constantly being added to, if you have watched any international badminton recently, you will see that for the flick serve when receiving the receiver's footwork is simply a couple of steps and a short jump backwards to try and hit the shuttle down or at least flat and hard. Most of the time they were off balance when hitting and their recovery was minimal (poor).

Their priority was just to hit down even if the shuttle was slightly behind them, they had no time to do a few steps then a scissors jump. Watch the chinese especially in the Sudirman cup their only priority was to hit down from the flick, their footwork and recover was in a way secondary but obviously practiced.

9. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

10. DivingBirdie

student
    that's a good point gerry......the priority is to take early, and bring the shuttle downwards...so i suppose any method that allows you to do that better is a good method:) anyway thanks for all the input