User Tag List

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Results 69 to 85 of 223
  1. #69
    Regular Member wilfredlgf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    How could the generation gap influence your preferred string tension?

    How could a player of different weight influence what sort of shuttle you prefer?

    How could the language tendencies of the other person determine your view of Lin Dan?

    ...

    Of course I'm just taking the piss but as you can that see most bigotry are simply that, unreasonable.

  2. #70
    Regular Member wilfredlgf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If you get banned for daring to form an opinion or being different than the lemmings on here then they don't deserve you at all.
    Last edited by wilfredlgf; 07-29-2007 at 08:47 PM.

  3. #71
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    London & Penang
    Posts
    6,628
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wilfredlgf View Post
    How could the generation gap influence your preferred string tension?

    How could a player of different weight influence what sort of shuttle you prefer?

    How could the language tendencies of the other person determine your view of Lin Dan?

    ...

    Of course I'm just taking the piss but as you can that see most bigotry are simply that, unreasonable.
    1) playing against older folk who are more experienced, i need to be quicker and faster so generally a higher string tension.

    2) playing against heavier folk, i prefer a faster shuttle so i can win points by forcing them to run around more.

    3) i understand english a lot more than, say, russian so predominantly english speakers (or writers as the case may be) will get through to me more effectively and hence potentially influence my views more.

    of course bigotry is unreasonable, otherwise we wouldn't be having so many problems in the world today ....

  4. #72
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    London & Penang
    Posts
    6,628
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wilfredlgf View Post
    If you get banned for daring to form an opinion or being different than the lemmings on here then they don't deserve you at all.
    great though, i haven't been flamed yet, so i'm guess we're alright. though we are going way off topic now ....

  5. #73
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamzz View Post
    however, i think that once you've visited the site longer enough, ie perhaps have read about 100 posts or so, you'd have formed your own opinions about the posters here, especially the regular ones.

    for me, i have a list in my head of members whose opinions i hold in higher regard than the general population. some based on what they've contributed in the past, some simply based on the fact that their tastes/preferences are similar to mine, hence if they like something, chances are i will too.
    I can't agree more than these above. Reference is reference, the confort level, only yourself know.

  6. #74
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,847
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up It is not best that we should all think alike

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post

    some member express concerns that we need a system to tell if a member's comment is trustworthy or not.

    to that end, BC is going to experiment with a karma system.

    if we find out ppl abusing the karma system, we will turn it off.

    Quote Originally Posted by ants View Post

    Whats the point of doing this?

    Quote Originally Posted by wilfredlgf View Post

    If you get banned for daring to form an opinion or being different than the lemmings on here then they don't deserve you at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy View Post

    Karma is another reference, just as post count, ...

    Quote Originally Posted by twobeer View Post

    Darn.. Now I am getting afraid of being sarcastic to stupid or incorrect posts...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamzz View Post

    ok, i can understand that if i'm new, and am in desperate need for advice, the karma system might be a quick and straightforward indicator of whose opinion is more likely to be trustworthy. however, i think that once you've visited the site longer enough, ie perhaps have read about 100 posts or so, you'd have formed your own opinions about the posters here, especially the regular ones.

    Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post

    I thought Sir Dink is a gentle panda? Looks like he turns into a very emotional panda now! Need more karma to calm him down!

    Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy View Post

    I can't agree more than these above. Reference is reference, the confort level, only yourself know.

    Quote Originally Posted by jerby View Post

    Though it's certainly a better standard than just postcount

    Greetings folks,

    For me, to look at a member's postcount, we have to get into more details.

    For a member's postcount, we need to find out more about what category/section of our forums that that member is most emotional/passionate and/or have most knowledge in.

    Some of our members are found to have great knowledge and to be very emotional/passionate in Tournaments, some in Techniques & Training, some in Equipments, some in Market Place, etc...

    But a member with better knowledge in Equipments & Market Place might not know what is good for Techniques & Training, etc...

    And so, if we are to assume that this member(with high postcount), when commenting on Technique & Training, should be reliable when he/she is commenting on it... we might be misled.

    Anyway, you might all know that I am most emotional/passionate about promoting the NSS, and to move away from the OSS. And guess what, I was given negative karma because I defended the NSS.

    But then again... It is not best that we should all think alike.


    Cheers... chris@ccc

  7. #75
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ipoh, Malaysia
    Posts
    1,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    yeah, i guess that is the weakness of this karma thingy. people who gives out bad karma simply because they dont agree with the other person's argument. we should only give out bad karma for posts that are in bad taste and maybe have personal attack or lots of swearing. but that is just my opinion.

  8. #76
    Regular Member wilfredlgf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by azabaz_ipoh View Post
    yeah, i guess that is the weakness of this karma thingy. people who gives out bad karma simply because they dont agree with the other person's argument. we should only give out bad karma for posts that are in bad taste and maybe have personal attack or lots of swearing. but that is just my opinion.
    What she said.

    (+) karma for good arguments on subject matter - nothing on behaviour, otherwise we'll see lots ... *trying to find a polite word for shoe shining* going on to become popular

    (-) karma for contentious posts ie. character attack, personal abuse, racist, sexist, ageist, weightist...

    (0) karma for neutral and speculative posts that don't warrant (-) or (+) karma points

    Karma points is good to establish the 'knowledge aura' of the person rather than how nicely they behave or how many expensive racquets are in their possession.

    (-) karma points can serve to warn others about this person's credibility whilst chronic cases would've been dealt with by the mods themselves already.

    Still, mods can change karma points to reduce or balance the (-) if it is done as abuse, especially if one person's view is not necessarily contentious but controversial enough to get some (-) points from certain members of the forum. One person might mean well but others who don't share his ideas may be (-)ved for being different.

  9. #77
    Regular Member wilfredlgf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just noticed that I got just about all karma points from the karma thread.

    I'll probably be reborn as a byte-size positive charge.

  10. #78
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris@ccc View Post
    Anyway, you might all know that I am most emotional/passionate about promoting the NSS, and to move away from the OSS. And guess what, I was given negative karma because I defended the NSS.
    Every system can be abused by certain individuals, as they don't understand the system themselves. Feel sorry for you, but myself more than willing to see your posts, even though, I am a die-hard supporter for OSS (especially for lower level tournaments).

  11. #79
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,847
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Smile chris@ccc is still playing the OSS

    Quote Originally Posted by wilfredlgf View Post

    (+) karma for good arguments on subject matter

    Hi wilfredlgf,

    Disagree.

    Even foolish arguments are right sometimes.

    Mixing a little foolishness with some seriousness, at the right time, can be wonderful.

    Quote Originally Posted by wilfredlgf View Post

    (-) karma for contentious posts ie. character attack, personal abuse, racist, sexist, ageist, weightist...

    Agree.

    Badminton Central is not a place for character attack, personal abuse, racist, sexist, ageist, weightist...


    Quote Originally Posted by wilfredlgf View Post

    Karma points is good to establish the 'knowledge aura' of the person...

    But let us be grateful for any point raised by a poster with little knowledge of a subject matter.

    Any point raised by a poster may trigger off interesting debates for the rest of our BC'ers later.


    [/quote]

    Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy View Post

    Every system can be abused by certain individuals, as they don't understand the system themselves. Feel sorry for you, but myself more than willing to see your posts, even though, I am a die-hard supporter for OSS (especially for lower level tournaments).

    Hi LazyBuddy,

    Based on the latest poll today, 4-Aug-2007, NSS(43%) is still behind your OSS(57%).

    However, if I am possessed of the idea that NSS is better for Badminton in the long run, I can't help but to express myself what is so good about the NSS.

    In Melbourne, Australia, I would say that 99% of our players are still continuing playing the OSS. So... you could guess it, that I am still playing the OSS.

    Anyway, the OSS is the system that I played with when I was first introduced to Badminton. And I know how to use the OSS, and enjoy it to the fullest.

    Cheers... chris@ccc
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 08-03-2007 at 09:28 PM.

  12. #80
    Regular Member wilfredlgf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris@ccc View Post
    Hi wilfredlgf,

    Disagree.

    Even foolish arguments are right sometimes.

    Mixing a little foolishness with some seriousness, at the right time, can be wonderful.
    Why would an argument be foolish if it is good? Perhaps you were looking at the appearance of the argument, whilst I am more towards the gist of message itself.

  13. #81
    Regular Member george@chongwei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MIA
    Posts
    29,966
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i had click the User CP bar there, after i click 1 thing about karma also i dindnt get.. there put new subscribed thread... so how can i check my karma and comment... may b kwun u can help? or other member...?

  14. #82
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,847
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Exclamation Checking karma of our Badminton Central posters

    Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post

    how can i check my karma ...



    Hi george@chongwei,

    If you direct your pointer(controlled by your mouse) to the Green Square under the Posts Count of any New/Regular Member or Registered User, you will get a message of how our posters are categorised, such as;

    (1) Member/User is heading the right direction
    (2) Member/User is on a distinguished road
    (3) Member/User is an unknown quantity at this point

    Perhaps, there are more categories... ones that I have not come across yet.

    And, I have noticed that you are on a distinguished road.

    Cheers... chris@ccc
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 08-04-2007 at 10:06 AM.

  15. #83
    Regular Member george@chongwei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MIA
    Posts
    29,966
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    chris,how can i know my comment?

  16. #84
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    36,149
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    chris,how can i know my comment?
    if you click "User CP" near the top left of the screen, you should see a list of comments. if there are none, that means none have been given to you.

  17. #85
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,847
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Smile So far, as at 7-Aug-2007, we've found 4 categories of karma

    Quote Originally Posted by chris@ccc View Post

    If you direct your pointer(controlled by your mouse) to the Green Square under the Posts Count of any New/Regular Member or Registered User, you will get a message of how our posters are categorised, such as;

    (1) Member/User is heading the right direction
    (2) Member/User is on a distinguished road
    (3) Member/User is an unknown quantity at this point

    Perhaps, there are more categories... ones that I have not come across yet.

    Hi kwun,

    I've just checked your Green Square, and found another category not listed in my previous post.

    (4) Member/User/Administrator will become famous soon enough

    Cheers... chris@ccc

    Last edited by chris-ccc; 08-07-2007 at 02:09 AM.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Karma points
    By bigredlemon in forum Forum Feedback
    Replies: 10
    : 10-14-2007, 03:29 AM
  2. Replies: 38
    : 09-16-2007, 02:21 PM
  3. New Scoring System (21-Rally point system)
    By MikeJ in forum Jonas Rasmussen Forum
    Replies: 21
    : 06-05-2006, 07:03 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    : 05-12-2006, 09:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •