Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All of Master DinkALot's reviews should be stickied

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ashaway shoes?

I've been using ashaway 5500 shoes for over a year now.

The other day I was at the local shop here in Montreal checking out shoes for sizing purposes to order some online and the guy there told me the ashaways are really robust and supportive shoes and that they mostly recommend them for heavier players. The only drawback is it's at the expense of added weight although the new amps model is lighter.

Just thought I'd throw that bit of information into the mix... some of the heavier *cough*(sirdinkalot)*cough* players might want to try them out

I also recently put in a pair of insoles... conform'able is the brand.. they cost $80 but i got them on clearance at $18 and they made a huge improvement... there is noticeably less shock on the knees...

They are really robust well made shoes.

On another note I ordered a pair of adidas stabil 7 (black) while the ashaways are still functinonal so I can compare the 2 ....and also a couple of pairs of superfeet blue...(thanks dink!)

Just my 2 cents....

bolts
    Last edited by bolts; 03-27-2008 at 03:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just bought a pair of Ashaway 5500 as well, for partly the same reason i.e. I easily fall into the "heavier players" category.

The other reason is that I have what is sometimes referred to as "flat feet", and Yonex shoes and most other badminton shoes have too narrow a fit around the arch area.

Dink, can you comment on the widths of the shoes that you've reviewed? Are there specific ones that would work better for players with wider feet?

I used to use Nike Multicourt IVs, but they've long since discontinued those.

These Ashaway 5500 that I found are the only ones so far that seem to have a very wide fit. I also bought a pair of Ashaway 3500s to try out (the difference between the two is the 5500 has more leather, while the 3500 is more of a mesh construction and therefore lighter).

I plan to try both shoes out over the next few weeks, and add Superfeet insoles depending on how they feel (to me).

I would welcome suggestions on any other current shoes that would be suitable for heavier badminton players with a wide feet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default adidas stabil 7

Wll I tried out the stabil 7s last night and I'm very happy with them. Very nice support and very sticky on wood floors.

The heel is very low with the stabil 7s and although the sole feels wider i think it's the fact that the feet are lower making the shoe feel more stable.

I'm very happy with them so far.... no breaking in period and they felt great all night long.

They also look great and I haven't seen anyone else wearing them.

Just waiting on the superfeet blue now...

bolts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bolts View Post
    Wll I tried out the stabil 7s last night and I'm very happy with them. Very nice support and very sticky on wood floors.

The heel is very low with the stabil 7s and although the sole feels wider i think it's the fact that the feet are lower making the shoe feel more stable.

I'm very happy with them so far.... no breaking in period and they felt great all night long.

bolts
    Hey, where did you manage to find them in Canada? I've been curious to try the the Stabil 7 for a while.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jhirata View Post
    All of Master DinkALot's reviews should be stickied
    Thanks, I just try my best to provide as much information as I can.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the shoe is that good already, Super Feet may not be needed.

I may have to try the Stabil 7.

Quote Originally Posted by bolts View Post

bolts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nummertwente View Post
    Hey, where did you manage to find them in Canada? I've been curious to try the the Stabil 7 for a while.

I got them here: http://www.courtsidesports.com/store...rt-Shoes-10--/

I usually get stuff shipped to a US address I have and drive down to pick it up but the prices are really good from these guys so I just got them from them.... I was going to wait but they were out of stock on so many site that I was looking at I bit the bullet and just got them .... and I just checked today and my size is out of stock now! ...woulda been banging my head so i made the right move after all...

For the record I have pretty average feet and I'm 5'11" and I weight around 180 lbs...

The stabil 7s feel great with the stock insole and the 5500 ashaways felt better with the conformable insoles I've tried in them. Although they did raise the heel somewhat the fit was better, at least for my feet.

bolts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ok...

...you tempted me with the Adidas Stabil 7 and I ordered a pair from Squash Gear. They have free shipping on orders over $50.00. I've ordered stuff from them in the past and they have always been great:

http://www.squashgear.com/adst7meshbl.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default adidas stabil 7

Great!.... now I won't have to get a pair of SHB-100s to see how the 2 compare!

Or maybe I'll get a pair after all depending on your review!

bolts

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot View Post
    ...you tempted me with the Adidas Stabil 7 and I ordered a pair from Squash Gear. They have free shipping on orders over $50.00. I've ordered stuff from them in the past and they have always been great:

http://www.squashgear.com/adst7meshbl.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default more views...

http://www.zappos.com/n/multi_view.c...&ref=multi-pic

I had also seen a site where you could turn the shoe around 360 degrees but I cant find it now...

I like the way the middle strip becomes part of the sole....

bolts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Adidas Stabil 7

So I found the Stabil 7's for an incredible price locally ($69.99 CDN, reg $119.99), but unfortunately, they didn't fit too well for me.

They seem to run big... I'm usually a 9.5 in most Adidas, but with the Stabil 7's there was considerable length in the toebox... the arch was a bit long, so it wasn't hitting me in the right place when I removed the insoles and stuck my SuperFeet Green. The curvature of the shoe itself made the SuperFeet feel off. I wish I could've tried a pair in 9 (could've made a big difference), but they didn't have them.

But they're its a very nice shoe nonetheless with good cushioning and lateral support. And they have microbial protection to prevent stink

FYI, I ended up picking up a pair of Adidas Big Roar 3 for $30 CDN (reg $79.99)... looked like a fairly basic shoe, but surprisingly supportive when combined with SFG and properly fitted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nummertwente View Post
    So I found the Stabil 7's for an incredible price locally ($69.99 CDN, reg $119.99), but unfortunately, they didn't fit too well for me.

They seem to run big... I'm usually a 9.5 in most Adidas, but with the Stabil 7's there was considerable length in the toebox... the arch was a bit long, so it wasn't hitting me in the right place when I removed the insoles and stuck my SuperFeet Green. The curvature of the shoe itself made the SuperFeet feel off. I wish I could've tried a pair in 9 (could've made a big difference), but they didn't have them.

But they're its a very nice shoe nonetheless with good cushioning and lateral support. And they have microbial protection to prevent stink

FYI, I ended up picking up a pair of Adidas Big Roar 3 for $30 CDN (reg $79.99)... looked like a fairly basic shoe, but surprisingly supportive when combined with SFG and properly fitted.
    Did you buy the right size for the SFG? You could get a bigger size then cut it down to make it fit well into the shoe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by azn_123 View Post
    Did you buy the right size for the SFG? You could get a bigger size then cut it down to make it fit well into the shoe.
    Yup, I've had these SFG for a year now, but as you probably know, the SFG has a lot of support via a plastic cup type of thing, so whenever I find shoes with a too narrow midfoot or an uneven footbed (ie. too much or a pre-formed arch) then they tend not to fit.

I always take out the original insole of the shoes before trying the SFG in.

The Stabil 7's were also interesting because they had a pre-curved type of shape which cant be seen in the online photos. What I mean is that the heel is normal, then the midfoot is narrow and then the forefoot curves inward, kinda like a 'C' shape. I've had shoes like this before, but the Stabil 7's were very noticable.

I was pretty gutted when they didn't fit because I really like the white/black/gold version. If only I could track down a 9 at that price...
    Last edited by nummertwente; 04-06-2008 at 09:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i could not find any superfeet here where i live but i found this. anybody have used this insoles? is it good? i will try them out today. i wish i could get superfeet here but if i can't i hope this one will work as good.

http://www.walkpainfree.com/australi...rtssports.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by azabaz_ipoh View Post
    i could not find any superfeet here where i live but i found this. anybody have used this insoles? is it good? i will try them out today. i wish i could get superfeet here but if i can't i hope this one will work as good.
    http://www.walkpainfree.com/australi...rtssports.html
    I have got a pair in my work shoes for every day use; as Superfeet was out of stock at that time, and also these were slightly cheaper. I have not used the Orthaheels (OH) for badminton though. One thing to note - the arch on the orthaheels are much higher than the Superfeet's, so you'll be in a bit of pain/discomfort for a few days at least due to that.

Built/material wise - the Superfeet are better in this respect, the construction on the whole more solid and durable. However, the OH are not far behind. The main difference is the top surface (where your foot is in contact with) of the OH is made of a more velvety material compared to SF, hence your feet might move around more on them compared to SF. The SF top surfacing has a more grippy material. So for badmintonwise, you might wish to consider that and the potential to cause blisters; although this can be easily countered using a few strip of shoe grips that the ladies use (don't laugh, they work and prevent blisters!) or even better, the Yonex socks with the rubber dots on them.

Comfort-wise - The SF's are very comfy the moment I put them on, while the OH's need a breaking in period; but once you've broken them in, the comfort is on-par with the SF (although the SF still has a slight edge).

Overall, I would say that the OH are good value for money; performance wise the SF would come out top, but the OH's are cheaper. I'd definitely recommend them as a good alternative to the SF's.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast