Killer crosscourt net shots

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Badmintan, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Has anyone played with an opponent who is very good in crosscourt net shots?

I happen to play a friendly game with a guy from the other court...was caught offguard by the 'fake' hairpin net shot which he turn at the last moment into a crosscourt net shot....:crying:aka Peter Gade's shot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOQDPQw-AFo

I am playing doubles mostly and have great difficulty countering the crosscourt at the net....I always try to smash if I happen to be at the right place to catch it....but mostly got caught flatfooted.....what's the best counter possble?

Or more importantly how do consistently do a crosscourt using backhand?
    Do you use a 'forehand' grip so that the racquet head is angled at 45oC?

2. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Sort out the footwork.

3. morewood

morewood Regular Member

If hes doing that to you then your in trouble. Neat little deception though I may try that myself.

4. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

You have to change your mindset from going for the shuttle where he aims it, and instead go for it where it crosses over the net.

If he's in good position for the crosscourt, you'll still be in trouble, but if he's in poor position and still going for the crosscourt, it is can be an easy point if you act immediately to intercept.

As for how to hit the crosscourt yourself, the thing to remember is to adjust your grip to get whichever angle is appropriate for the shot you want to make. That angle depends on the shuttle's location with respect to the net, and also where you intend for the bird to cross the net. It's probably not quite the answer you're looking, but just go out and hit a bunch of crosscourts from various positions. Don't worry about your technique, just emphasize getting the bird over tight, low and crossing the net far from your location.

cheongsa likes this.
  5. Javalina

Javalina Regular Member

student
    Did you make your move first before he played the shot? In most cases, a decent player can spot your inclination to where to move then surprise you with a opposite direction shot. Just hold still in the middle of the court and watch what he is going to play. I always do that.

6. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    In doubles, if you can get in position before your opponent does, it is not necessary to position yourself at the T. There is no danger positioning yourself closer to the straight reply, because there is enough time to catch the cross court reply.

But if the opponent gets into position before you do, you should stop immediately, and wait for the stroke to be completed. Your options are then limited to defensive shots, but it is generally possible to stay alive in the rally.

7. Phuong

Phuong Regular Member

normally when I play double and stand up front, I alway stand next to the side of vertical line from where the bird is. Ex. if my partner hit the bird to teh right i will stand on teh right side next to vertical line so i can cover both left and right.

8. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    i think you might have concentrated too much on the easy corner ( the corner he's at). In LJB's ibbs video i remember him mentioning about the body being at the easiest corner, but the mind concentrating on the other corners. that might help you against hairpin net shots

9. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

you should basically keep your mindset similar to that of taking serves at the line... you're all ready to dive forward to attack the serve, but all the while, you're thinking backwards to take the flick. in this case, you are probably already in position and ready to take the direct net reply, but always be thinking that the you'll need to be able to cut off, block, push any reachable cross court shots.

just remember not to commit yourself to a shot or position too early. you know how fast you are, and you probably are faster than you think you are too, especially when you need to get somewhere in a hurry. so don't rush it.

10. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

countering the crosscourt 'deke'

Yes. I forgot to mention that I almost twisted my ankle trying to change direction abruptly....when my racquet 'leg' is already planted near the net with my forehand to intercept....and twisted my body around for the 'round the head' shot and whiffed the shot. I felt very embarassed to fell for the same 'old' dirty trick. This time...I tried to stand a foot from the 'T' for tap in and not too near the net.

Yeah...the crosscourt is a bit tricky to do in doubles....as I cannot hit it with power consistently...only a slow 'telegraphed' drop shot.

anyway....thanks for the feedback.....