smash return

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jchan23, Jul 2, 2007.

1. jchan23

jchan23 Regular Member

so i'm starting to notice that one of my flaws in the game is my smash return, after they smash me, i usually return a short lift (drop sometimes), but usually a midcourt lift. I can survive maybe another smash but then I'll eventually get owned

Is there any specific way to improve this? Aside from wrist power

Whenever I see better people play I see them swing and it seems like they're putting in alot of unesecarry effort and i keep wondering if there's a better way to do it

Also, what is a good tension for a offensive smasher (me), i tried stringing my racquets with 23/24 but the strings often get moved around after one smash and i have to move them back after the point is over (very annoying)

Also, another problem I have, I can do flick serves relatively nicely, but I have a really really hard time doing the high flick serves
    I can see the opponent leaning for the attack on the serve but I can't flick it high enough to go over him and near the back (which is really damn sad)

#1 jchan23, Jul 2, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  2. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    Hmm...actually...i also was thinking of what u said before...if they lift until half court...i will jump another time...that definitely worth a try...
    according to what my fren says(dam pro)...he says that the higher the tension is, the stronger ur smash, but then u will need more power for ur strokes...maybe like lobbing or dropshots...

Im currently using tension 25...not bad either...and then when do u use ur flick serve?? In doubles or singles??? If flick serve in doubles...its a challenging task but it sometimes decepts ur opponent's thinking...as for singles...dun try flick serve, its pointless(sometimes) because u can get attacked easily...try sticking to the high serve or the net serve...its ok to use both sometimes....give a mix...to check out ur opponent....(to read his mind)

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

the problem isn't your tension, it really isn't.

It's hard to give general pointers, but taking the shuttle in front of you aids in wristpower (it's hard to lift a shuttle form behind your body) making it easier to flick a smash back (which will never become effortless)

in singles it's a good tactic to vary your short smash returns in depth. if your opponent runs up to the net quickly you sometimes can gain the initiative just by returning the smash out of his walking-path (not necessarily crosscourt, just a bit)
    or even better, return it very short over the net (doesn't have the be tight over the net, just as long as it lands very short) to make this shot don't make a big motion. Just a short, slightly sliced, simple movement in front of you.

also note: I say you hit the shuttle in front of you, but that doesn't mean you háve to step forward into the smash (which is sometimes suicide). It's ok to step sideways, or sometimes even back...as long as you hit the shot in front of you, or minimally level to your body.

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Just want to add to what Jerby said.
    Return a smash with racquet head in front of your body. Use backhand return even if the shot is on forehand side clost to your body. Also, I assume you plays single. So you might want to practice your block return as a additional shot.

5. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I'd say to do a lot of drives. What you need is to get your hand to react to contact with the shuttle, react faster than you can think about reacting to the shuttle.

6. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    Wow...i learn plenty of stuff here dudes !!!
    Thanks !!!
    btw...i wanna improve my game more...

7. Daylightkiller

Daylightkiller Regular Member

Student
    i agree with stumblingfeet, driving is a good way to break ur opponent's attack, but it is also important to vary ur returns.

8. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

take it not too late and not to early.

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

If I know my opp. is going to smash, I always try and decide where I want to put my return BEFORE he hits the smash. In this way, my returns (when I manage them!) aren't half-court lifts, which are just Christmas presents for an attacker. You'd be surprised how much simply having a plan improves your shot, even for a knee-jerk smash return.

I'd say the most important goal should be to play to the SIDES rather than up the middle, as this is usually where shots end up going when you are under pressure. As to the length, this is much harder to control and depends greatly on your reflexes. Try moving progressively backward each time you sense a smash coming to find the point where you are able to gain some measure of authority on your shot length - but be increasingly ready for a sneaky drop shot, as well:D.

10. stumblingfeet

I don't suggest the drive for tactical reasons (though it is an effective shot when the opening is there). Instead, I suggest it because it develops the quickness in your hands, that will allow you to hit whichever shot you want to hit more effectively.

11. mistahpho

mistahpho Regular Member

Yeah, definitely do drives and vary your returns

12. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    I am not sure why there are suggestion that you should "drive" to return a smash, you can do that if the smash is weak and floating mid-court or your reaction is extremely fast.

A basic good return should be a combination of good lift and a good soft block, practice these 2 variations and mix them well in actual game will give you a good enough defence.

As Jerby and Silentheart have pointed out, focus on backhand-style return and meet the shuttle in front of you.

Once you are familiar with the timing of the lift and soft block, you can then try the same but with cross court by moving the racket face with wrist movement when returning the smash.

Do these basic ones and be familiar with the timing, angle and wrist movement would be the key for solid smash return. They may sound stright forward but as with any badminton strokes, it takes times and practices to make them work for you.

If you can win point directly off a return is a bonus, you should aim the return so that it stops the opponent attack and force them to lift or clear so that ot becomes your turn to attack.

Hope this helps.

#12 Linus, Jul 4, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  13. jchan23

jchan23 Regular Member

all these tips have been very helpful thanks

14. stumblingfeet

The drive can be a good choice of return, if the opportunity to hit one does come up. However, that's not my point.

When you receive a shot, contact with the shuttle will create impact forces at your hand. The faster the shuttle is moving, the greater these impact forces. If you can't absorb this impact force quickly and correctly, you won't have good control over the shuttle, no matter whether you're hitting a soft block, a high lift or a flat drive.

However, it just happens that doing drives, particularly hard, fast drives, is an excellent method of developing this ability to absorb force quickly. Once you have that skill down, all types of returns become much easier.

15. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Drives are good for smashes that are done from the back, which have a relatively flat angle. Otherwise, lifts, and blocks to the net are the best choice.

16. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Donot disagree with you that drive is effective when the opportunity arises.
    Just that this opportunity does not come often, and to do an effective drive, you even have to hit the shuttle further in front of you compare to a block or lift. The skill, technic and reaction time are not quite the same.

I just thought that in the context of the original poster, the basic lift and block would be a good starting point.

17. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    strings 'moving around'

what is the cause of strings being displaced?(as in becoming too close of far apart after hitting) i'm guessing it has little to do with the tension, so maybe it's stringing technique??
    any stringing experts can clarify?

18. jchan23

jchan23 Regular Member

alright so what im getting so far is that if their smashes arn't too good, then i should attempt to drive it back, however the traditional soft block or the lift is preferred

also always hit in front of me and use the backhand, also thinking about where to hit helps/helped tons

now i have another question, since im primarily using backhand to reflect, i keep losing points when they hit to my forehand..is this a reaction problem or should i still be using my backhand for defence like this?

19. stumblingfeet

Yes, that's true, but again, that's not the point I'm trying to make.

What I'm saying is that for most people, to improve their ability to block and lift, they should practise hitting drives. The drives teach them to control the impact of the shot at high speeds.

cappy75 likes this.
  20. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

A very subtle question, this: should you commit to the backhand side, or the forehand - if you decide one way and your opponent notices, he'll just go the other way:confused:.

I always take a square-on stance that shows my opponent the top edge of my racket, so I'm exactly half way between forehand and backhand. This gives me the best chance to deal with wide smashes to either side (same reaction time), but it does leave the inside hip vulnerable. However, since it takes a lot of accuracy to hit the top edge of a racket (or, indeed, my hip), I assume they won't get it exactly right and the smash will go to one side or the other.

It's a bit of swings and roundabouts: if you have a brick wall of a BH defence and commit to it every time and a dreadful FH defence that you never use, you will return 50% of the smashes until your opponent spots the pattern and hit starts to hit them ALL at your FH (when you won't be able to return ANY). Using a "halfway between" position needs better reflexes, but your return chances remain 50% no matter which side your opponent chooses.

Something else you could try is a trick I found on Lee Jae Bok's videos: if you favour a BH defence, have your BODY ready for a BH block but your MIND expecting a FH (say to yourself: "this is coming at my forehand"). This way, if the BH is needed it's already there, and if the FH is needed you are LOOKING to use it. This really helped me when having to cover straight and cross court shots (my body is ready for the straight shot and my mind is looking for the cross).