User Tag List

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast
Results 290 to 306 of 480

Thread: Tan Chun Seang

  1. #290
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,892
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Ban affects my livelihood, distraught shuttler says

    About three years ago I was able to see TCS in action as a junior for the first time in Singapore. He was promising though a bit playful, thus he was given 'monkey' as his nickname though I think he was also a bit tricky with his shots as well.

    But TCS has now given up top-notch badminton as it was reported he couldn't take the tough training anymore. It coincided with Hendrawan being the new coach for the backup squad. Whether this is the real reason is left to be seen.

    TCS has regretted that after spending 7 years with BAM, he is now more or less banned from competitive badminton for prize monies for two years. In other words, he is jobless and can't even earn a living from competitive badminton. I suppose he can still coach. He is depressed, quite understandably. I hope he could find a way out of his impasse.

    Here is the report:

    Reuters India
    Sep 18, 2009

    http://in.reuters.com/article/worldO...42547120090918

    By Ossian Shine

    SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Malaysian badminton chiefs have stripped Tan Ching Seang of his livelihood by imposing a two-year ban on him for quitting the national squad, the player has claimed.

    The 23-year-old wants to be able to compete and earn money in smaller international events at home, sanctioned by the Badminton Association of Malaysia.

    The BAM imposed a ban earlier this week, however, after Tan ended his seven-year relationship with the national squad citing family problems.

    A player cannot compete in international tournaments if they are not endorsed by their national body.

    BAM say the move is in order to protect their squads and training programmes from players defecting to other clubs.

    "The BAM have spent a lot of time, money and resources in grooming the players. It is time we review the premature exit of the players," BAM president Nadzmi Mohd Salleh told local media.

    "We are giving him (Tan) time to sort out his personal problems. The door will be open to him after two years.

    "Our reviews and actions will depend on a case-by-case basis. There can be cases when we will accept (players) decision without imposing any action on them."

    In the mid-90s, BAM fined shuttlers who left the national body to join professional club Nusa Mahsuri.

    Tan, however, said that he quit the national programme as he had tired of the rigorous training schedules but that he still wanted the chance to compete at lower-tier events.

    "BAM's decision will affect my livelihood. I have sacrificed seven years with BAM and yet, when I leave, I am not assured of a job," he told Malaysia's Star newspaper.

    "I was shocked with BAM's decision. I wanted to compete in smaller tournaments as well as the international meets held in Malaysia.

    "I want to just enjoy the game and not go through the regimented training anymore."

  2. #291
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Area 51
    Posts
    2,656
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    Tan, however, said that he quit the national programme as he had tired of the rigorous training schedules but that he still wanted the chance to compete at lower-tier events.
    If he couldn't stand tough training, then why did he choose to be an athlete from the very start?

  3. #292
    Regular Member Badmintan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    AMK (Singapore)
    Posts
    1,008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The ban affects him from playing for other countries?
    i.e. Europe, USA, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong .

    He got paid peanuts now got no peanuts to eat. Sadlah.

    I'm sure SBA can issue him an employment pass for a sparring job.
    Need high quality left handed sparring partner to simulate Super Dan.
    Last edited by Badmintan; 09-22-2009 at 03:17 AM.

  4. #293
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    12,013
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jagdpanther View Post
    If he couldn't stand tough training, then why did he choose to be an athlete from the very start?
    Cos also have to work part-time, if not, cannot survive. Reason not cos cannot stand tough training, one of it is cannot cari makan . Plus results not say good, all this we argue2 already in back-up thread.
    Last edited by eaglehelang; 09-22-2009 at 03:24 AM.

  5. #294
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,892
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badmintan View Post
    The ban affects him from playing for other countries?
    i.e. Europe, USA, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong .

    He got paid peanuts now got no peanuts to eat. Sadlah.

    I'm sure SBA can issue him an employment pass for a sparring job.
    Need high quality left handed sparring partner to simulate Super Dan.
    I think if he is dedicated enough, he will earn good money as a coach to juniors in Singapore.

  6. #295
    Regular Member jug8man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,082
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    BWF tournaments is more of a 'passion' than a job / earning good money for at least 95% of badminton players out there.

    You can make a better living as a 'sparring partner', coach/assistant, and professional player for Club leagues in Europe. and even in Singapore like Loh suggest

    Being banned from BWF tournaments does not directly effect a persons livelihood (if you are not a top player). It will more likely save you EXPENSES.

  7. #296
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    12,013
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    I think if he is dedicated enough, he will earn good money as a coach to juniors in Singapore.
    Wah uncle, SBA will accept TCS as coach/assistant meh? I tot Spore standard for coaches very high one, must have this & that credential, win XXX no of titles.

  8. #297
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Area 51
    Posts
    2,656
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    I think if he is dedicated enough, he will earn good money as a coach to juniors in Singapore.
    Coaching? Himself is a (no offense) so-so player, training youths to be world beaters?
    He's at best become sparring partner...

  9. #298
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jagdpanther View Post
    Coaching? Himself is a (no offense) so-so player, training youths to be world beaters?
    He's at best become sparring partner...
    Bro, not every good coach must be a good player!

  10. #299
    Regular Member ctjcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    u.s.a.
    Posts
    19,157
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Just my 2.25 ringgits input..

    ..after reading the above article, i just wonder:

    - About the article part on "BAM say the move is in order to protect their squads and training programmes from players defecting to other clubs.", i just don't understand why BAM is so stringent on doing so? Like Jagdpanther mentioned, TCS is no LCW. So, would losing TCS to another club be considered a big loss to BAM?? In addition, by letting TCS decide his own future & fortune, BAM doesn't have to incur more expenses for TCS.
    - Unless BAM hasn't fulfilled their promises of sending and giving TCS enough chances to compete internationally, i'd understand TCS' complaints as legit.
    - Once accepted by BAM, what's the minimum number of yrs a player is required to stay under BAM? Anyone knows? I assume TCS had read the contract requirements/rules prior to him signing on with BAM 7 yrs ago.
    - This rule will make other prospective young/junior players think twice, if not thrice, in their aspiration of joining BAM.
    - If TCS is brave enough, come to U.S. lah. Join your other ex-compatriot, Lee Hock Lai, as one of the local coaches. Can compete in the local tourneys also lah, earn U.S. dollar...
    Last edited by ctjcad; 09-22-2009 at 03:42 PM.

  11. #300
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    icy cold place
    Posts
    3,778
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..after reading the above article, i just wonder:

    - About the article part on "BAM say the move is in order to protect their squads and training programmes from players defecting to other clubs.", i just don't understand why BAM is so stringent on doing so? Like Jagdpanther mentioned, TCS is no LCW. So, would losing TCS to another club be considered a big loss to BAM?? In addition, by letting TCS decide his own future & fortune, BAM doesn't have to incur more expenses for TCS.
    - Unless BAM hasn't fulfilled their promises of sending and giving TCS enough chances to compete internationally, i'd understand TCS' complaints as legit.
    - Once accepted by BAM, what's the minimum number of yrs a player is required to stay under BAM? Anyone knows? I assume TCS had read the contract requirements/rules prior to him signing on with BAM 7 yrs ago.
    - This rule will make other prospective young/junior players think twice, if not thrice, in their aspiration of joining BAM.
    - If TCS is brave enough, come to U.S. lah. Join your other ex-compatriot, Lee Hock Lai, as one of the local coaches. Can compete in the local tourneys also lah, earn U.S. dollar...
    BAM is simply teaching TCS a lesson and heads-up warning to others who try the same stunt in future...what if the player is not a so-so player but a top player wanting to defect to another club and end up winning major honors for the other club and embarass BAM (you know cannot lose face-lah)...as for coming to US of A, good idea can get to earn US dollar and meet some 'old-fashioned American girls"....only if you can find any of them...hahaha!!!

  12. #301
    Regular Member ctjcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    u.s.a.
    Posts
    19,157
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default ^^As far as i can see..^^

    - There are no other "top MS player" in the MAS national squad other than Dato LCW. The other (younger players) are still up & comers and have yet to prove themselves on the big stage & against the big boyz. The "has been" players are probably hanging around other clubs (KLRC).
    Is BAM really afraid TCS will one day become like Dato LCW and conquer the MS world, thus they are not letting him go??..
    So, what is TCS' main excuse of wanting to bolt out of BAM? Not given enough playing time? Or simply he doesn't enjoy training very2 hard? Or other hidden reason(s)??
    - Yes, there are & you can still find "old fashion American gals". They just have to search them in the southern states, Texas, mid-U.S. states and some northwest states.
    Last edited by ctjcad; 09-22-2009 at 06:08 PM.

  13. #302
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    3,905
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by OneToughBirdie View Post
    BAM is simply teaching TCS a lesson and heads-up warning to others who try the same stunt in future...
    that's wat i think as well... BAM is scare that if TCS is given a free exit... more & more will follow...

    TCS has become the SAMPLE ! ! ! so pity!!!

  14. #303
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,892
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglehelang View Post
    Wah uncle, SBA will accept TCS as coach/assistant meh? I tot Spore standard for coaches very high one, must have this & that credential, win XXX no of titles.
    What I meant is coaching in schools, not the national level. But he has to compete with Chinese coaches as well.

  15. #304
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,892
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeCW View Post
    Bro, not every good coach must be a good player!
    While you are not wrong, a player who wants to be a good coach should first go through a good coaching course and obtain certification. These days the paper is still important for employment purposes.

  16. #305
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    While you are not wrong, a player who wants to be a good coach should first go through a good coaching course and obtain certification. These days the paper is still important for employment purposes.
    agreed with you coaching course is important! as i can see here in Msia most of the so called coach dont have certification. Dont even bother to ask the student to do warm up prior to thier training.

    no problem for TCS to earn a good living as a coach cum sparing partner even without certification here!

  17. #306
    Regular Member jug8man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,082
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    What I meant is coaching in schools, not the national level. But he has to compete with Chinese coaches as well.
    It's not just skills, experience and certification to become coach / sparring partner overseas.

    Any commited and professional person can 'do well' for themselves be it in a working class or sports career. EveryOne needs to prove their 'value' to their 'employer' and not just make noise but no action.

    I'm sure many China / Indonesia 'coaches' & 'sparring partners' are doing well in Singapore because of these attributes which they possess and put in practice.

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Tan Chun Seang returns
    By krizlid98 in forum Malaysia Professional Players
    Replies: 2
    : 10-13-2009, 12:48 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    : 09-15-2009, 05:25 AM
  3. Can Chun Seang Do It??
    By danielwong in forum Malaysia GP Gold / Philippines Open 2009
    Replies: 29
    : 06-29-2009, 01:17 AM
  4. Now, singles shuttler Chun Seang is hurt!
    By ixory in forum South East Asian Games 2007 - Badminton
    Replies: 11
    : 12-08-2007, 08:33 PM
  5. bao chun lai
    By cyling in forum China Professional Players
    Replies: 8
    : 05-23-2004, 08:29 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •