User Tag List

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread: Tan Chun Seang

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ban affects my livelihood, distraught shuttler says

About three years ago I was able to see TCS in action as a junior for the first time in Singapore. He was promising though a bit playful, thus he was given 'monkey' as his nickname though I think he was also a bit tricky with his shots as well.

But TCS has now given up top-notch badminton as it was reported he couldn't take the tough training anymore. It coincided with Hendrawan being the new coach for the backup squad. Whether this is the real reason is left to be seen.

TCS has regretted that after spending 7 years with BAM, he is now more or less banned from competitive badminton for prize monies for two years. In other words, he is jobless and can't even earn a living from competitive badminton. I suppose he can still coach. He is depressed, quite understandably. I hope he could find a way out of his impasse.

Here is the report:

Reuters India
    Sep 18, 2009

http://in.reuters.com/article/worldO...42547120090918

By Ossian Shine

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Malaysian badminton chiefs have stripped Tan Ching Seang of his livelihood by imposing a two-year ban on him for quitting the national squad, the player has claimed.

The 23-year-old wants to be able to compete and earn money in smaller international events at home, sanctioned by the Badminton Association of Malaysia.

The BAM imposed a ban earlier this week, however, after Tan ended his seven-year relationship with the national squad citing family problems.

A player cannot compete in international tournaments if they are not endorsed by their national body.

BAM say the move is in order to protect their squads and training programmes from players defecting to other clubs.

"The BAM have spent a lot of time, money and resources in grooming the players. It is time we review the premature exit of the players," BAM president Nadzmi Mohd Salleh told local media.

"We are giving him (Tan) time to sort out his personal problems. The door will be open to him after two years.

"Our reviews and actions will depend on a case-by-case basis. There can be cases when we will accept (players) decision without imposing any action on them."

In the mid-90s, BAM fined shuttlers who left the national body to join professional club Nusa Mahsuri.

Tan, however, said that he quit the national programme as he had tired of the rigorous training schedules but that he still wanted the chance to compete at lower-tier events.

"BAM's decision will affect my livelihood. I have sacrificed seven years with BAM and yet, when I leave, I am not assured of a job," he told Malaysia's Star newspaper.

"I was shocked with BAM's decision. I wanted to compete in smaller tournaments as well as the international meets held in Malaysia.

"I want to just enjoy the game and not go through the regimented training anymore."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    Tan, however, said that he quit the national programme as he had tired of the rigorous training schedules but that he still wanted the chance to compete at lower-tier events.
    If he couldn't stand tough training, then why did he choose to be an athlete from the very start?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ban affects him from playing for other countries?
    i.e. Europe, USA, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong .

He got paid peanuts now got no peanuts to eat. Sadlah.

I'm sure SBA can issue him an employment pass for a sparring job.
    Need high quality left handed sparring partner to simulate Super Dan.
    Last edited by Badmintan; 09-22-2009 at 03:17 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdpanther View Post
    If he couldn't stand tough training, then why did he choose to be an athlete from the very start?
    Cos also have to work part-time, if not, cannot survive. Reason not cos cannot stand tough training, one of it is cannot cari makan . Plus results not say good, all this we argue2 already in back-up thread.
    Last edited by eaglehelang; 09-22-2009 at 03:24 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Badmintan View Post
    The ban affects him from playing for other countries?
    i.e. Europe, USA, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong .

He got paid peanuts now got no peanuts to eat. Sadlah.

I'm sure SBA can issue him an employment pass for a sparring job.
    Need high quality left handed sparring partner to simulate Super Dan.
    I think if he is dedicated enough, he will earn good money as a coach to juniors in Singapore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BWF tournaments is more of a 'passion' than a job / earning good money for at least 95% of badminton players out there.

You can make a better living as a 'sparring partner', coach/assistant, and professional player for Club leagues in Europe. and even in Singapore like Loh suggest

Being banned from BWF tournaments does not directly effect a persons livelihood (if you are not a top player). It will more likely save you EXPENSES.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think if he is dedicated enough, he will earn good money as a coach to juniors in Singapore.
    Wah uncle, SBA will accept TCS as coach/assistant meh? I tot Spore standard for coaches very high one, must have this & that credential, win XXX no of titles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coaching? Himself is a (no offense) so-so player, training youths to be world beaters?
    He's at best become sparring partner...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdpanther View Post
    Coaching? Himself is a (no offense) so-so player, training youths to be world beaters?
    He's at best become sparring partner...
    Bro, not every good coach must be a good player!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Just my 2.25 ringgits input..

..after reading the above article, i just wonder:

- About the article part on "BAM say the move is in order to protect their squads and training programmes from players defecting to other clubs.", i just don't understand why BAM is so stringent on doing so? Like Jagdpanther mentioned, TCS is no LCW. So, would losing TCS to another club be considered a big loss to BAM?? In addition, by letting TCS decide his own future & fortune, BAM doesn't have to incur more expenses for TCS.
    - Unless BAM hasn't fulfilled their promises of sending and giving TCS enough chances to compete internationally, i'd understand TCS' complaints as legit.
    - Once accepted by BAM, what's the minimum number of yrs a player is required to stay under BAM? Anyone knows? I assume TCS had read the contract requirements/rules prior to him signing on with BAM 7 yrs ago.
    - This rule will make other prospective young/junior players think twice, if not thrice, in their aspiration of joining BAM.
    - If TCS is brave enough, come to U.S. lah. Join your other ex-compatriot, Lee Hock Lai, as one of the local coaches. Can compete in the local tourneys also lah, earn U.S. dollar...
    Last edited by ctjcad; 09-22-2009 at 03:42 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..after reading the above article, i just wonder:

- About the article part on "BAM say the move is in order to protect their squads and training programmes from players defecting to other clubs.", i just don't understand why BAM is so stringent on doing so? Like Jagdpanther mentioned, TCS is no LCW. So, would losing TCS to another club be considered a big loss to BAM?? In addition, by letting TCS decide his own future & fortune, BAM doesn't have to incur more expenses for TCS.
    - Unless BAM hasn't fulfilled their promises of sending and giving TCS enough chances to compete internationally, i'd understand TCS' complaints as legit.
    - Once accepted by BAM, what's the minimum number of yrs a player is required to stay under BAM? Anyone knows? I assume TCS had read the contract requirements/rules prior to him signing on with BAM 7 yrs ago.
    - This rule will make other prospective young/junior players think twice, if not thrice, in their aspiration of joining BAM.
    - If TCS is brave enough, come to U.S. lah. Join your other ex-compatriot, Lee Hock Lai, as one of the local coaches. Can compete in the local tourneys also lah, earn U.S. dollar...
    BAM is simply teaching TCS a lesson and heads-up warning to others who try the same stunt in future...what if the player is not a so-so player but a top player wanting to defect to another club and end up winning major honors for the other club and embarass BAM (you know cannot lose face-lah)...as for coming to US of A, good idea can get to earn US dollar and meet some 'old-fashioned American girls"....only if you can find any of them...hahaha!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ^^As far as i can see..^^

- There are no other "top MS player" in the MAS national squad other than Dato LCW. The other (younger players) are still up & comers and have yet to prove themselves on the big stage & against the big boyz. The "has been" players are probably hanging around other clubs (KLRC).
    Is BAM really afraid TCS will one day become like Dato LCW and conquer the MS world, thus they are not letting him go??..
    So, what is TCS' main excuse of wanting to bolt out of BAM? Not given enough playing time? Or simply he doesn't enjoy training very2 hard? Or other hidden reason(s)??
    - Yes, there are & you can still find "old fashion American gals". They just have to search them in the southern states, Texas, mid-U.S. states and some northwest states.
    Last edited by ctjcad; 09-22-2009 at 06:08 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by OneToughBirdie View Post
    BAM is simply teaching TCS a lesson and heads-up warning to others who try the same stunt in future...
    that's wat i think as well... BAM is scare that if TCS is given a free exit... more & more will follow...

TCS has become the SAMPLE ! ! ! so pity!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eaglehelang View Post
    Wah uncle, SBA will accept TCS as coach/assistant meh? I tot Spore standard for coaches very high one, must have this & that credential, win XXX no of titles.
    What I meant is coaching in schools, not the national level. But he has to compete with Chinese coaches as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LeeCW View Post
    Bro, not every good coach must be a good player!
    While you are not wrong, a player who wants to be a good coach should first go through a good coaching course and obtain certification. These days the paper is still important for employment purposes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While you are not wrong, a player who wants to be a good coach should first go through a good coaching course and obtain certification. These days the paper is still important for employment purposes.
    agreed with you coaching course is important! as i can see here in Msia most of the so called coach dont have certification. Dont even bother to ask the student to do warm up prior to thier training.

no problem for TCS to earn a good living as a coach cum sparing partner even without certification here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I meant is coaching in schools, not the national level. But he has to compete with Chinese coaches as well.
    It's not just skills, experience and certification to become coach / sparring partner overseas.

Any commited and professional person can 'do well' for themselves be it in a working class or sports career. EveryOne needs to prove their 'value' to their 'employer' and not just make noise but no action.

I'm sure many China / Indonesia 'coaches' & 'sparring partners' are doing well in Singapore because of these attributes which they possess and put in practice.

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast