2007 CPB Badminton Open

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by yymonkee, Jul 3, 2007.

1. yymonkee

yymonkee Regular Member

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you guys know that I am hosting the CPB Badminton Open this year at Humber College! It's an annual event that draws a good crowd and all of the tournament info can be found at:

www.cpbbadminton.com

We're doing all five events this year (Doubles and mixed on July 21, and singles on July 22) plus an additional mini-badminton camp on July 22 for beginners to have fun with. Unfortunately, I was a little late in this notice so the registration has already started and it will end on July 16! Sign up now and if we receive your payment before July 16, you get a $5 discount!

If you're not sure what kind of players come out to the event, we will have a link up tomorrow which will show you the tournament draw sheets from last year!

Hope to see some of you there this year!

Thanks

2. Keevin

Keevin Regular Member

CPB Badminton Open - min. age requirement

What is the min. age requirement to enter those events? Is 16 old enough?

3. staples

staples Regular Member

I don't think there's a min age requirement but I would say most of them are in their early-to-mid 20's. It is organized by Mississauga Board of Chinese Professionals & Businesses. :) I don't recall seeing a lot of youngsters last year but there were a few. You should be OK to enter.

4. yymonkee

yymonkee Regular Member

Yes, there is no age requirement and it is a fun, open tournament for all levels of play. Over the last little while, the levels have become quite large, spanning community to Ontario A players! Still, everyone who goes seems to have fun :p

5. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    It's a fun tournament and competitive too. I'll be there!! If you want to say "hello" Saturday just look for the chinese guy with the following:

-brown lululemon headband
    -oakley goggles
    -aqua blue lululemon shirt
    -black lululemon shorts
    -red mizuno wave smash s2 shoes
    -knee strap on the right leg
    -using YY Carbonex 30MS rackets.

Cheers!

6. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

"chinese guy at the badminton tournament..." haha, that's only about 90% of the people there!

You really plan out your outfit that far ahead of time? Hmm... does that mean I should find something to match?

7. DarthHowie

Only for tourneys lol :cool: and I'm superstitious! I'm saving the best combo for men's singles...a white nike dri-fit polo shirt that my mom bought. It has brought me good fortune so far (whether it's winning a good draw prize or actually making it to the semis/finals) :D

How will i find you? don't say "i'm wearing a yonex shirt" lol

8. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

okay, i'll be the guy not wearing a yonex shirt.

9. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

Doggie Style!

I'll be the guy playing doggie style badminton with my partner! HAHAHA :D

10. DarthHowie

Oh boy... dude... first 'spanking' and now doggie style...geez. Both your men's and mixed doubles partners won't be happy if they read this :p.

11. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

Oh trust me, they will like it! :D RUFF!!!

12. DarthHowie

Another successful tournament held by CPB! Had a ton of fun and my body is aching all over. Terrific job and see you next year!

13. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    I saw a bit of your match with Leo. You guys went to 24 - 22 in the third I think? Great stuff.

Yes, great tournament. The MSF match between Andrew and Chris was a terrific way to close the tournament.

14. DarthHowie

Leo could've won it earlier in the 2nd game...when he was leading 19-16...i hit a shot wide (at least 5 inches) that he hit...after that i got on a run and won the 2nd game 21-19...

in the 3rd game i had match point 22-21 and in the middle of the long rally leo hit a cross court smash landing midcourt and wide by about 4 inches and i instinctively dove for the bird...i realized it was going wide but it was too late and the tip of my oval touched the bird...I called "touch".. and that was the game right there. Leo commented that most players would've said nothing and called it out which i found kind of odd since badminton is a gentlemen's game.

Were you with Leo's crowd? why didn't you say Hi? I'm just glad i can keep up with the young guns...cause Leo was tired...and I love running ppl in singles cause i always believe i'm fitter then my opponents...and b/c the ppl in my club (Ernest - ontario singles masters champ) do that to me all the time...(to the point of collapsing)

I find a sick pleasure in trying to outrun or tire my opponents out...and i had no choice since my body was sore from doubles and mixed the previous day.

15. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Well the funny thing is, I was watching a game in the middle dividers of the court and I guess I was sitting next to your bag, and it was slightly opened and I thought, wow there's somebody in this tournament who uses CAB30MS, awesome! When I saw you coming back after a match later on I had a hunch it was you.

Leo and his coach have been training me for the last year. I'm most likely the weakest player in this tournament but it was mainly for experience. I appologize, I saw the beginning of your match with Jason Wan and soon I had a match of my own. Then I watched the beginning of your match with Leo when once again I had to play my own match. When I came back, you had your first 21-19 match point. (I agree with Leo though, it was definitely extremely sportsmanlike of you not to try to get away with that matchpoint.) After the match you guys had a little chat and my attention was diverted to the next court where another member of our club was playing. I think you left soon after so I had no chance.

Yeah I think everyone was pretty dead tired after day 1, singles was really survival of the fittest. I think it would've worked out better the other way around but that's alright.

Anyway, if I see you again in the near future I'll definitely say Hi. =]