Need help for Badminton Movie

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by mattyg, Jul 4, 2007.

1. mattyg

mattyg Regular Member

Hey guys,

I've come looking for your help. Right now im planning on writing a screenplay comedy movie about badminton. I have some ideas but i need help with lingo, and maybe some footage so i can see how real top notch pros play the game. Also i need to see how these players dress, and how tournament scenes look. Any information you could give me would be awesome. I have been researching for a while but you really need input from the players to get a real feel for things. I'll keep you all updated and thanks in advance.

2. mattyg

mattyg Regular Member

things im looking for:

biggest badminton matches
    an overview of how the tournament scene runs and looks
    lingo for types of plays, equipment, types of players, etc.
    any other useful info you can give me.

3. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

For pro footage, there are so many tournaments to dl under
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=113
    and some are Youtube links so no dl is needed.
    If you don't know which to start from, either start with major tournaments (Olympic, World Championship, All England, Thomas/Uber Cup, etc.) or top players. BC home page has an somewhat old list of player world ranking.

There are also teaching videos (e.g. ZJW with English subtitle) what will use the lingo.

HTH

4. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

I missed Sudirman Cup and Asian Games. The various "Cup" are team events, while the others are individual events or hybrid.

5. mattyg

mattyg Regular Member

yea i think im going to focus on singles. youtube was a good call i dont know why i forgot about that.

what are big companies and are there alot of venues at these tournaments or what. id like to know some behind the scenes things as well but ill probably have to go to an event to get a feel for the atmosphere. i just want to get into the writing so i can make drafts.

6. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    good luck! i hope you will make an excellent representation of what badminton is all about. i believe you would have to go see a match live to know what that feels like. but i simply love it even when i am watching it live on tv. or even a replay. biggest market holder is probably yonex. there are others like victor, babolat, wilson...etc etc. :)

7. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

The tournaments are pretty good. Usually there are cheerleaders cheering on the sidelines, and bikini contests between sets are the best.

8. mattyg

mattyg Regular Member

nice nice. now are there like venues at tournaments with shops set up from the various companies that represent the sport? any tiny bit of feedback can really help. like where the top players come from and just explanations of various things about the sport so i get a lot of information even if its the same over and over it justs makes things more concrete in my mind.

9. mattyg

mattyg Regular Member

bump bump bump bump!

10. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Now you're talkin'.

11. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

Not looking forward to this........

guys this is just going to be another stupid sports-formula comedy making fun of a minority sport... as if there isn't enough already. God I hate hollywood thesedays. They have no originality.

They already made one about table tennis ... the next sport to make fun of is badminton, you just wait. Your basically going to have blades of glory, or Dodgeball - with a badminton theme.

Why can't they make a serious movie about an individual sport thats not boxing?

#11 wedgewenis, Jul 9, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  12. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

Hey does anyone here have a good idea for a badminton movie?

too bad there isn't a foreign film about a badminton player ...how bought the racket sport equivalent of Karate Kid ? ... lol

13. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Sure, almost all comanies involved in Tennis also makes badminton Gear (Babolat, Yonex, Prince, Head etc).. There are also many racket rpoducer that are not that well know outside the badminton-community, clothing etc (SOTX, Kason, Victor, Gosen, Forza, RSL, Karakal etc. )

Yonex is most probably the biggest world-wide sponsor of the sport (and also has the biggest market-share of equipment). Apart from that you usallyu se different brands like telcos (TDC in denmark etc) sponsoring national-teams and individual players and torunaments.. In Malaysia Proton is a Big Sponsor. In Japan I believe there are company sponsored teams (like JVC etc).

Also sport-drink makers etc. are common sponsors.. In Indonesia Djarum (cigarette maker is a huge sponsor etc..

Cheers & good luck with the effort,
    Twobeer

14. bigb824

bigb824 Regular Member

school
    i got a good name for this movie

"shuttlecocks of fury"

*added on to the first word.. dont want to get baned haha*

#14 bigb824, Jul 11, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  15. mattyg

mattyg Regular Member

been away for a while. still workign on this. twobeer im sorry you feel that way, but any publicity for a sport is usually good. balls of fury sucked, this one be outrageous like that. its supposed to follow the game pretty well, but it will be a comedy so you'll have to deal with that. i play a minority sport competitively (paintball - like what you've seen on espn2) and i'd love to see that get a movie that would depict it the correct way. thats why im doing research. feel what you will, but this is going to be a legit project that will take a while to make.

16. the_oro

the_oro Regular Member

pretty boring profile -_-
  17. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    I've got a treatment for a badminton movie and pitched it a few places within Hollywood with lukewarm interest when I was down there for meetings. I even queried Jet Li, but no respondse .

Mattyg, if you want to see the treatment, email me at vwolff@hatch.ca

I wrote the first ten pages at one point, but got sidetracked by a couple other screenplays. I even developed a role for Paul Newman, but he's pretty much retired now.

The script was thought as a sports drama, but the story features a lot of humor as the one player is prankster and I used a lot of the pranks and stories from canadian tournaments.

if you are serious, I'll certainly dust this off and give it another go.