Best Badminton shoe for budget

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by cd4se, Jul 5, 2007.

1. cd4se

cd4se Regular Member

I have used so many Yonex shoes and they are not durable at all. Then I switch to adidas..wow it's a good shoes...light and very good grip..then they ran out of stock..I was then recomended Mizuno...hmm...look..so so..but after using it for one year , I can say they are one of the better shoe around. Why ?
    I got the lowest range of Mizuno badminton shoe...wave gate II
    1) they are design for badminton.
    2) they are reasonably priced -about S$79 (before discount)
    3) they are very durable..I have used them more than a year and the condition is still tip top...
    4) my kneee pain go away.
    5) i can move faster on court and no more ankle twist..
    6) very good grip..
    7) I think the "Wave" technology is just superb...more stability and good cushioning..

Now I change to the newer model..Wave gate III...used once last week..very comfortable...I think more sponge with the Bio-Lock technology...

Anyway..this is my recomendation..dun buy Yonex ( of course for the one below S$100 )...all of them will be damage less than 6 months..one by one of my friends have moved away from Yonex shoes..quality just suck...

I think it's good to share ...

2. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    i have to disagree, it all depends on the person and the level at which they play. A pair of yonex shoes will last a beginner for a long long time but when you move up to a provincial/national player then yeah their shoes wont last to long maby around the 10month range or longer if taken care of. I have a pair of SHB 99Le's and well i have had them for about 7-8 months now all i replaced in them was the insoles with some superfeet orange and there great. the only damage i have is a bit of the lateral claws starting to come off and a hole forming on the side of my left shoe but considering that i was training for those 7ish months and playing alot of tournys meaning playing hard they have lasted me a long time and im happy with them i still liek them i probally wont buy a new pair of shoes till the end of summer if even that early. It all depends on the person using them, how/level of play as well but I find that yonex shoes have very good durability in my expirences and with friends shoes as well i have used both asics and mizuno and i did liek the asics but the gril was gone in notime like 4 months and the mizunos were gone is 3ish months. just my opinion on them though thats all.

3. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i think cd4se was talking about low end yonex shoes. am i right? because my low end yonex shoes are kinda not durable. it is now a little torn on both pair. but i have not tried other shoes yet, so it might be the same with other shoes. i think high end yonex shoes should be more durable and perform better. :)

4. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    what yonex shoes do you have just curious?

true if he was my bad i got my high end yonex shoes for pretty cheap but my bad, but the newer lower end shoes have some good stuff in them now and are still pretty durable i find. Victor has some nice shoes their higher end models are pretty cheap too so thats always good there in budget range i think my friend paid $80 for his but the thing he said is that the grip wears out faster. But then budget shoe and high end shoe if your at a higher level personally i wouldnt mind spending the extra money and get a higher end shoe doesnt have to be the top model of courese but then its also subjective cause as long as you have good footwork really anyshoe is adaqute its just all about persona preference.

5. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

in addition to what smash_master is saying, it also totally depends on the individual's footwork and play style.
    some people are just insanely rough on their shoes, they move fast, they scramble well, they pound and pound the shoes like theres no tomororw.
    some others are just a lot lighter and smoother perhaps on their feet, which leads to less stress and wear/tear on the shoes, and so they last a heck a lot longer.

6. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

My low end yonex shoes have been the most durable of the Yonex shoes I have had

Of my shoes, I would rate durability as

SHB-50 best
    SHB-99
    SHB-98
    SHB-58
    SHB-89 worst

but I have only had 1 pair of each, except SHB-89 (4 pairs)

7. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    mine are the really low end ones. the world championships 2 or something like that. i posted the pic of the shoes here somewhere. most probably on my introduction thread. they costs RM90.00 only. :D i want to try mizuno and asics. maybe later. the shoes still holding up. so, until it crumbles to pieces....:)

8. crashandburn

crashandburn Regular Member

badminton player
    i got 3 pairs and i tot that's something......Neill u got almost 10 pairs ???!!!:eek:

9. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

No, that includes pairs that have worn out.

I currently only have 1 pair SHB-50 and 2 pair SHB-89

10. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I have to say SHB-90 give best performance to price ratio. However, they are still cost a little more than most peoples shoe budget. Victor's high ends are also good options.

11. wirre

wirre Regular Member

Interesting......so far I've only had two pairs of Yonex shoes, SHB-58 and SHB-89 and this is exactlly my experience. And I must say that Yonex durability is non existent, probably the worst I've ever known. Non of the shoes have held up for more than 8 months.

Too bad Adidas doesn't makes any good indoor shoes anymore (well they still do have the Handball Spezial).

Oh well, will get a pair of SHB-100, let's see how they fare.

12. Type 100

Type 100 Regular Member

Hi guys. I'm not exactly rich so I buy shoes within the PhP2500-3000 range (roughly US$50-65).

In my short experience I will also agree Yonex's shoes have ridiculously low durability. Barely a week after I bought the World Championship 2s three years ago, they were wearing pretty badly. I was also disappointed with the arch support---it was almost nonexistent and I felt flat-footed all the time. I don't know how much they've improved over the years but I'm not willing to pay to find out.

I miss my Adidas Stratos...now those were great indoor shoes. I used them until the soles were so worn down they got slippery even with just damp pavement, and that was a pretty long time, almost three years. The rest of the shoe was still holding up pretty well, and the cushioning was perfect.

After the Stratos I dabbled with futsal shoes. Adidas' Samba Millennium and Mizuno's Incision IN are affordable and fine for badminton. However, they trap a lot of heat and don't "breathe" anywhere as well as dedicated badminton shoes, so they can get uncomfortable with extended play. Nevertheless these lasted me two years too, after which the Samba's sole sheared off the upper and the Incisions killed my toenails due to improper fit (my fault, not Mizuno's).

Last night I bought the Mizuno Wave Gate II, at PhP2750 (US$59). This thing is amazing. Fit is perfect (my left foot is almost half a size bigger than my right), cushioning is superb and "breathability" is excellent. I can't wait to try it out on the court tomorrow.

My two cents :)

13. Type 100

Type 100 Regular Member

I've owned a number of indoor court shoes which I used for badminton, although not all of them were specifically made for the purpose. All of them were inexpensive, from PhP2500-3000 (US$55-65)

Yonex World Champion 2 - poor durability, poor cushioning and poor arch support.

Adidas Stratos - perhaps the best shoes I've ever had, for the money. Lasted almost 3 years and ridiculously well-made. The worn gum sole was the only reason why I had to let it go.

Adidas Samba Millennium (futsal) - pretty good, but the heel gave me tendinitis for the first few days. Lasted 2 years. Tends to build up heat in the toe area.

Mizuno Incision IN (futsal) - also quite good, but I had a poorly fitting pair (my fault). Also retains a lot of heat.

Mizuno Wave Gate II - bought this just last night. Very promising. Fit is great, cushioning is excellent and it breathes well.

My two cents. :)

14. cd4se

cd4se Regular Member

Well..let's put in it this way...the Yonex shoes around Singapore and Malaysia are always have a discount of as high as 50% ....and you guys are right...anything that is below US$50 do not last for the Yonex shoes..that's the one available in both Singapore and Malaysia after the discount. I have tried Victor shoes before and yes..for the same price it's better than Yonex. But nothing can beat Mizuno...at at only about US$42..you can get the lowest end of Mizuno (specially for Badminton)...the Wave Gate III...and you will never regret it..especially the Wave technology...no more knee pain ..and stability is superb...I am those that tend to get my ankle twisted...after using Mizuno..no more of these nonsense...and I dont think any one will question the durability of Mizuno...just love this shoe...Durability with Yonex racquet is the same...yes..it's a fantastic racquet but it just dont last...I have a few broken Yonex racquet but after I switch to other brand...RSL, Apac, Proace,Wilson..never have this broken racquet issue......

15. xlasher

xlasher Regular Member

How bout Wilson EB-7 ?

It's quite cheap on badmintonalley.com

Do you guys have an experience with this shoe?

Thank you

16. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    can you tell me which stores in malaysia sells mizuno badminton shoes like the wave gate III? i am interested in trying this shoe. my heels are hurting from using my current one. what is the price in malaysian ringgit now?:)

17. cd4se

cd4se Regular Member

Yes, I am pretty confident that the shoe will help you with you heel problem. In Malaysia, I think you can only get Mizuno shoes in "World of Sport" and of course some badminton sport shop. Price will be about RM$150 to RM$200. Depending whether you get the discount or not. The basic Mizuno badminton shoes is called 'Wave Gate' , version 2 has just been replaced with version 3. Or the model number is 7KM-74014. For badminton, the number start with 7KM. The rest might be for volley ball or others. At least we know, Mizuno put in effort to understand the sport of badminton and not just categorized them under "Indoor Sport". I am sure you will love the shoes...and dont worry about the price..it will last you a very very long time before you decide for your next pair. My most durable badminton shoe so far.

18. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    thank you. i will go and survey this shoes. :D

19. chapree

chapree Regular Member

Student, writer, blogger & gamer
    Which WoS branch did you bought the Mizuno shoes from? Somehow, I only found those RM 250 and above shoes there...:eek:

20. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Asics Gel Rockets are the way to go on a budget