Traditional VS Isometric

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Byro-Nenium, Dec 5, 2000.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I tried to switch to many different Isometric or Titanium Isometrics several times and i've found it really hard to play with. I decided to stick to my older rackets with the Traditional Oval head shape.

I used a Yonex Titanium Pro 60 now. Its a Carbonex style Titanium reinforced racket.

Anyone else have any opinions on switching between Isometric and Traditional rackets?

2. Alvin

Alvin Guest

i agree that it's quite difficult to play with isometric racquets unless u've been using it for quite long.During training,i've tried using my ti-10 but it's just not powerful enough to do a deadly smash or produce enough repellent power.when i swithed back to my carbonex racquets,i'm just very confident.

3. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    I feel that way too. I see my friends using Ti-10s smash really hard but when i try it i don't even hit the sweet spot.

Oval heads are better for me. I switch to Isometrics when all rackets are made that way

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Has it occurred to anybody why in Men's singles they seem to stick to the traditional oval head for Yonex racquets? (Peter Gade and Hendrawen are exceptions). Yet women's singles and doubles players on the whole use isometric shape.

5. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    Ng Wai from HK team use Ti-10. I saw this from a video on Australia's tournament this year (he is the winner).

6. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Dunno, i would think that the men, besides Peter Gade and Hendrawan are too used to playing with oval heads like me. Maybe thats why they stick to it.... Not sure.

7. Thomas

Thomas Guest

I think this is a personal choice as there is no right and wrong or which one is better. Furthemore, every racket has its own unique characteristic. I have tried the the Yonex isometric and Ti isometric series and now decided to switched back to the traditional oval shape rackets. Currently I'm using Gosen SL & SR 3000. What is best for someone may not the good for others. Looking at Yonex's strategy, it seems to me that Yonex is pushing hard for the Ti Isometric series. But we need to stick to what we like and best for us, not what the advertisement tells us to or following the what some world champions are using!

My suggestion: try out first before commiting to some expensive rackets. Remember, the average players most likely can't afford a Ti-10 or MP100.

8. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    I agree, using the traditional oval shaped frame rackets has been so far the only frame head rackets i can use. I can't play with Isometrics and i can't play with those Pro Ace shaped frames.

I sure hope Yonex continues to make rackets that have oval frames and hopefully not as expensive as the Isometric Ti series right now. Here in Singapore the cheapest 1 is $145 for the Ti-3 exclusive of strings and grip.

How good is the MP 100? Anyone know?

Never tried or even seen it before.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yes and a very good observation cheung. To really form a theory on this, it would be nice to find out (spying?) what past legends (yang yang, han jian, zhao jianhua, erik poul larsen, susi santanti) are using to play or coach these days.
    Ardy wiranta is town for the year, i'll try to find out what racket he's using now. I dont think ardy is sponsor by anybody now.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I was told by a close contact that ardy wiranta is currently using yonex MP 100