Having problems with dropshots

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by merkki, Jul 6, 2007.

1. merkki

merkki Regular Member

Student
    Can someone offer advice?

My dropshots either land too short or then I miss the shuttle. They never go too long actually, but I dont want it to go too far as then it is no longer a dropshot, more like midshot. Also it seems my shots are sloww when I hit them. Maybe I'm just taking too much power out??

2. LuckyBoy

LuckyBoy Regular Member

Well....if you want to improve your non-missing...point at the birdie when it is coming towards you in the air...when you drop...make sure your arm is at full stretch then hit at the highest point and flick ur wrist.....works for me..=D

3. XKazeCloudX

XKazeCloudX Regular Member

Student
    try a sliced dropshot, going from outside of your body to in. that way you do not need to swing slower as much, because you will be slicing it, and it will make it go way faster than just tapping it. When you just flick with your wrist it will be more like a half smash since it wont land too close to the net if land at the forecourt at all.

4. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    First try to get the shuttle over the net with more power, then try using slice, etc, or just practise a lot to make them more tight.

5. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    Practice practice practice. Use the same arm movements for your other strokes, and then take all the pace out of it at the last second.

6. merkki

merkki Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for all the advice! I am amazed to how quickly I get this much avice:). I noticed that I jump also when doing dropshots, to contain the element of surprise as I also jump for clears and smashes. But this makes the timing reallly difficult and thats why I miss a third of the shots. I am considering leaving this jump part out, but then it would lose the deceptiveness....

7. XKazeCloudX

Student
    Do you jump really high when clearing and smashing? All my shots do leave the floor, but only barely. Unless I make an actual jumpshot, which I can't do yet. Lol

8. merkki

merkki Regular Member

Student
    On clears and smashes I jump as high as I can, but on dropshots its a smaller jump.

I dunno, maybe I use the same timing as for clears and smashes, but as the jump is not as big I miss...

#8 merkki, Jul 6, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  9. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Some very good advice earlier regarding slice. Try to work with a friend and ask them to feed say 20 shuttles consistantly to the same area, "closed practice" as opposed to game like situation. This is purely for you to gain the feel required on the shuttle to get it over consistantly and easily. "To groove the shot".

Learn how far the shuttle goes without using a wrist flicking action, ie just your arm, everything cocked ready in preparation as if you're going to hit any of the overhead forehand shots, keep preparation the same for all.

Now think of arming the shot over and at the same time think of a clock. TICK TOCK TICK TOCK.

TICK - racquet back in preparation
    TOCK- Swing through and hit on the tock

This will hopefully bring some rythym into your swing and not induce too much snatching of the shot. You will also learn to feel the top of the net from all areas.

In my opinion as we improve we tend to practice the power more than some of the subtle shots, net pushes, brushes, spinning nets, and various disguised dropshots. Some of these shots can take an enormous amount of time to learn. Due in part to - footwork, balance, speed of shuttle from opponent etc.

LazyBuddy likes this.
  10. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    hmm imagine this, dropshot is not a touch shot, more like slapping the shuttle, my coach told me that a touch drop is floating and is prone to netkills. using a faster drop although landing not as close to the net is better,

11. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    There are many different types of drop shots and it always depends on the situation what kind of drop shot is the best choice...

For example if you are under pressure in the back court, it's not sensefull to play a very short and "slow" drop, that lands very close to the net...

In that case a longer drop shot would be better, so your opponent is not able to play a good and thumbling net drop...

If you are in attacking position or "neutral" situation perhaps a fast sliced drop shot is the best option for you...

Remember:
    A short drop shot makes your court "bigger", the area you have to cover is bigger... So it's not always the best to make the drop shot as short as possible... Only use the short (and slower) drop shot if you are NOT under pressure...

EDIT:

Another thing you have to think about:
    Only play cross drop shot if you have time...
    After a cross drop the way you have to move/run ist bigger then after a straight drop!

EDIT2:

OK, I know this was a bit OFF TOPIC!

But now back to topic:

One "PICTURE IN YOUR MIND" could be this (for short drop shots, not for fast sliced drop shots):

Prepare like for Clear or Smash, then swing back, just like normal...
    But then, just before you hit the shuttle, try to SWITCH FROM NORMAL SPEED TO SLOW-MOTION! (only you swing of course...)

#11 xt6666, Jul 7, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  12. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    it's better to have an undeceptive drop go over than a drop that doesn't go over at all. also, jump drops and clears should only be done sparringly, to put doubt into the opponent. there's really no point in jumping for every shot.

13. XKazeCloudX

Student
    super agree. i dont think i have ever jumped that high for a clear...that looks very...wrong...

a reason for jumping is to generate power and most importantly steepness in smashes, maybe an occasional dropshot. jumping up for a clear is very pointless to me. plus you get more tired.

yes if you jump for everysingle shot. you will be deceptive since they all look the same. except dropshot. so then would you want to jump for dropshot too so it will all look the same? no, because that will make you very very tired.

instead try having the same strokes for all your shots but without "jumping as high as you can" now all your shots look alike. except jumpsmash. but the point for jumpsmashing is suppose to be your fastest shot, your finishing shot. so you shouldn't be executing it every single time anyways.

unless im wrong. but i don't think players jump when clearing.

14. smashin-jam

smashin-jam Regular Member

Production Manager
    badminton in Pert, WA

Hi guys! I'm a newbie here. May I know if there is badminton court in Perth, Western Australia, Australia?

I appreciate a reply.Thanks !:rolleyes:

15. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    there are some instances when we do jump clear and drop, but it should be used sparingly, and not be over done. the reason jump drops and clears lose deception if done too often is simple. for jump drops and clears, am i right to assume it's a small jump, like a hop? cos that looks nothing like an all out jump smash. so when the opponent sees a small jump, they know it's gonna be a drop and clear, and when you do jump smash, they know for sure, as you leap higher.

if you were to jump really high for all shots, you will most likely tire out very fast. if you are to jump, make sure it's of decent height, else there is no advantage. and when playing jump shots, make the clears really flat and drops really fast, as it is an attacking style of play.

16. XKazeCloudX

Student
    exactly. now that i think of it. if i do one day jump up very high. then only do a clear. that would be pretty deceptive. because it is so unorthodox. hahaha im gonna try that. jump really high and then clear or drop it.

because if it was me. if i see somebody jump very high. im automatically preparing to smash.

yeah a small hop or jump for shots is fine. most of my shots are like that when i turn my torso forward. a natural small barely off the ground hop.

17. merkki

merkki Regular Member

Student
    Man, I got much less tired when I left out al the jumping!! It also seemed to improve my accuracy too. gee, thanks guys

18. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    it's not that unorthodox. it's just unexpected. Wong Choong Hann has one of these best actions. he mixes half-smashes and fast slices in as well. it's very tricky, but he can jump high enough to make it count.

19. XKazeCloudX

Student

i have learned something then. heheh.

20. Type 100

Type 100 Regular Member

This makes sense.

I thought badminton was one of those sports where "spin" plays less of a factor compared to, say, ping-pong or tennis. As it turns out, inducing a spin on the shuttle (like what you mentioned here) is how you make an effective dropshot.

The spin is the key to making the drop shot slower. You're not totally taking away the force (like a half-smash does), but simply making it act in another direction. Thanks for the tip :)