User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pro's Pro Pilot: A Review (Part 2)

I attempted my first job just now - you'll see what I mean by "attempted" soon enough.

Firstly, the machine was slightly out of true and needed calibrating, which I did with a 6 fishing scale (analog). While the calibration holds for badminton tensions, at tennis and squash tennis the output tension is increasingly less than what is shown on the scale, so you'll either have to recalibrate between the different sports or make your own scale.

After prestringing my AT800 with BG-80 (big mistake...), I mounted the frame with no problems. Upon tensioning the first main, I noticed that the swivel clamps tend to flex a little even under a mere 23lb tension, so you'll have very slight losses when you release the crank. Adding half a pound or so should counter this.

Not being used to swivel clamps, I got to the fifth main and forgot to lock the base of one of them, meaning I had to start again. Unfortunately, when I tensioned the first main this time, the clamp head's ball bearing slipped, causing a loss of grip which stripped the BG-80 coating and snapped the string. Apparently, the bearing has eaten away some of the metal at the top of the clamp and has lost its seating - I've contacted W&D for a replacement.

I decided to carry on, so I strung the mains only, using the piece I had cut for the crosses. Once I remembered to lock the clamps after each pull, the process was very smooth. Of course, I had to cut the mains immediately.

All in all, I'd still consider the machine a bargain - just be aware of the slight swivel clamp play and the misleading scale.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    and a nice, sharp awl.
    A sharp awl is not what u really want when come to "expand" the shared gromment. A round tiped one is a better and safer choice.

Also, consider puchase 2-3 flying clamps. With moderate tension (25lb or below), flying clamps can hold the tension well enough, well speed up your process.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I plan to get a set of HiQua fly clamps with the first earnings from my machine, since nobody I know would want more than 24lb of tension anyway.

It took my about 7 mins to tension the mains of my 800 (including knotting up), and that was with swivel clamps only, so I think some fly clamps will greatly speed the process up.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    I plan to get a set of HiQua fly clamps with the first earnings from my machine, since nobody I know would want more than 24lb of tension anyway.

It took my about 7 mins to tension the mains of my 800 (including knotting up), and that was with swivel clamps only, so I think some fly clamps will greatly speed the process up.
    HQ clamps are good for main, but Yonex is a better choice for cross. If you totally give up on the fixed clamps, then, 2 HQ and 1 Yonex should be a better choice.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pro's Pro Pilot: A Review (Part 3)

Since my replacement clamp arrived this morning, along with some new string, I decided to do my AT800.

String - Toalson Premium 65 @ 23 x 25 (w/ 10% overpull for knotting)

Daftly, I decided NOT to prestring, and just whacked the empty frame into the machine (I last strung 6 years ago, so I'm REALLY rusty), so any problems in the job must be attributed to me, rather than the machine.

Support is excellent - after comparing my job to my factory-strung 900P, there was absolutely no frame distortion. Pulls with the crank are nice and consistent, and the turntable is lovely and smooth (with a very handy brake).

Thanks to my lack of prestringing, I spent about 75% of the process trying to thread string through shared grommets that were already occupied by tight mains. Also, the phone rang and caused me to weave two crosses in the same over-under pattern. Other than that, though, the process was a joy: to my surprise, knotting up was the easy part!

Machine: 8/10 - some swivel clamp play, and the K-supports could do with being deeper, as they sometimes interfere with grommets, but otherwise punches way above its weight class.

W & D Strings - 9/10 - replacement part came within 48hrs, along with some replacement string. Email about the problem was responded to almost immediately, and orders always arrive promptly.

(Had I prestrung I would only have been at the machine for 20 mins or so. I have some gear coming in from HK very soon, so I'll know for next time!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is the total weight of this machine?Cheers.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would hazard a guess at no more than 30kg - the shipping box said 27.5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ordered a pro's pro pilot last Thursday afternoon and it arrived Friday morning! Amazing fast delivery!It comes a stringing instruction but no manual for the machine...anyway, I managed to put the two big piceces together and then put the 4 supporters on.

I've successfully strung 20X22 on an old racket, with a 2-piece method, preweaving the whole frame. Feeling good...I will practice more with other old cheap racket and then go to my AT700.

As no manual for the machine, there are still some details in stringing not sure yet, i.e. the standard way to push the tensioned hand crank back for a next tensioning...

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aye, my machine was basically already built - only the K brackets needed putting on.

The manual is the one fly in the otherwise perfect ointment of this machine - it's badly photocopied and barely legible. I have it in PDF as well for safety, but it's really an easy machine to use; problems only come up when calibrating/adjusting.

The first racket I did was an AT800 but it went smooth as unrolled silk. Your 700 will really benefit from some decent rope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cliffhu View Post
    I ordered a pro's pro pilot last Thursday afternoon and it arrived Friday morning! Amazing fast delivery!It comes a stringing instruction but no manual for the machine...anyway, I managed to put the two big piceces together and then put the 4 supporters on.

I've successfully strung 20X22 on an old racket, with a 2-piece method, preweaving the whole frame. Feeling good...I will practice more with other old cheap racket and then go to my AT700.

As no manual for the machine, there are still some details in stringing not sure yet, i.e. the standard way to push the tensioned hand crank back for a next tensioning...
    Hi cliffhu, do you have the Stringing Instruction in a PDF Doc? I bought a Pro's Pro Pilot also, but i didnt get a Stringing Instruction. If you have the Instruction can you please send it to my email add: winzz@hotmail.com. Thanks a million.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi guys!
    im also gettn one of these pros pro pilot stringing machines from watdon after xmas. indeed francias is a delight!very helpful. im a first time stringer altho i understand all the what to do now. i just want to ask so basically the only thing i will need to think about this machine is to get it calibrated before i start using it?im also gettn 3 yonex flying clamps, .....francais seemd surprised when i sed that as obviously we cud just use the 2 spring loaded clamps instead....but as il be doing on average 26 to 27 tensions on my rackets il wud need the extra clamps, and also b much quicker than using the spring clamps underneath on each pull.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It'll probably need calibrating before you use it. Get a 6 fishing scale from Argos - it goes up to 50lbs, which is more than enough for badminton. The manual will tell you how to calibrate, and it isn't difficult at all.

I have done all of my rackets so far without any flying clamps - the swivel clamps are very good indeed. Since I go up to 30lbs+ on my own rackets anyway, I play it safe and rely on my fixed clamps. Fly clamps are good for convenience only.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does the Pilot need maintaining apart from calibrating?

Also i am thinking of getting this or the Challenger 1. Any users who have opinions on both?

Thankyou very much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey guys!got the machine lik day after ordering great service from w&d cant praise them enuf and francais is a delight to speak to.

only problem im finding is the clamps get loose after about 10 string jobs and i find i have to tighten the clamps agen using spanner and allen key...is this normal?and i find sumtimes after clamping after tensioning, wen i release the tension ther is a slight moment(very small but noticable). is that common?

cheers!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yippo888 View Post
    hey guys!got the machine lik day after ordering great service from w&d cant praise them enuf and francais is a delight to speak to.

only problem im finding is the clamps get loose after about 10 string jobs and i find i have to tighten the clamps agen using spanner and allen key...is this normal?and i find sumtimes after clamping after tensioning, wen i release the tension ther is a slight moment(very small but noticable). is that common?

cheers!
    Yes, both of these phenomena occur with mine as well.

I adjust the clamp bases after every 10 jobs or so - I think the setting will hold better if you put some thread locking fluid on the stub bolts (if you're brave enough to pull them all the way out to do it, that is).

The clamps do tend to lean slightly when they take up the tension, but I have never considered this an issue - I just make sure I get as close to the frame as possible when clamping up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alrite guys!ok now im starting to string for people in my badminton club....charging lik 10quid each restring using top forza strings.....takes about 20mins to prestring and between 45 mins and an hour to tension....u rekon thats about alrite for a new stringer?im doing tensions ranging from 18 to 26. aint broken ne rackets yet....shudnt really tho quite a good machine and unless i really set the supports up wrong shud b ok!great lil machine!glad iv got a big amp tho to put it on,just saves me havn to pay for the stand!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone know Eagnas PN-1013 Badminton Swivel Clamp fit to A03 Pro's Pro XP-Plus or A04 Pro's Pro Pilot?

PN-1013 Badminton Swivel Clamp

A03 Pro's Pro XP-Plus

A04
    Pro's Pro Pilot

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast