Japanese vs American

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Cricket, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Cricket

Cricket Guest

Can someone tell me why the Japanese MP 50 is completely different than the American MP 55? And will the MP 50 be sold in the US?

2. Pete

Pete Guest

The quality is better on the Japanese model.

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    The models are the same you know..... The only difference is the model NAME thats all....

4. Pete

Pete Guest

Trust me, the quality is different.

5. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
  6. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    The japanese model was made with left hand players in mind and US model for right hand players. ;-)

In all seriousness though, I had heard that some of the models even within a specific line (ie MP series) are made in different plants. Although there is tight quality control methods, that would mean there will be differences since no matter how close the materials and production method may seem the two racquets from two different production lines will not be identical.

7. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Do you pay a premium?
    I just checked my Ti-10 and it has 'made in Japan' written on it. It cost the same as any other TI-10 I've seen.

8. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Forget that - it's a UK version.

9. Cricket

Cricket Guest

Yea, but I read at the Japanese website that the MP 50 is 3U and it is a longer version.

10. Cricket

Cricket Guest

If you guys don't believe me, here's proof:
    http://www.yonex.co.jp/badminton/products/racket/mp50.html

11. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    For most Yonex racquets, usually only the heavier model will be widely available in the Asia market (except Taiwan), e.g. only 2U MP55 SP can be found in Singapore or HK. On the other hand, wide variety of models are usually available in Japan, e.g. 2U/3U, G4/G5. For MP50 JP, I think the information in the Web site is incorrect, you can check the Yonex 2002 catalog at http://www.shuttle-house.com/Mail-Order/catalog/02-yonex/badminton/02yo-35.htm. There should have both 2U/3U version of MP50.

There is an ongoing debate whether JP version of Yonex racquets have better quality than other exported versions (except CN/CP). My opinion is "yes". Of course, different persons can have different opinion (but most of them may not even have a JP version Yonex racquet themselves, so you should treat this as a subjective opinion only).

12. Sony

Sony Guest

The debate will always go on whether CN/CP and JP versions are more durable then SP, TW, etc... If you are not a power player or baby your racquets, then no matter what version you own, the racquet will be very reliable. If you owned a CN/CP or JP version Yonex racquets then you will favour these versions or durability. Performance, you have to adjust to the extra weight the CN/CP versions. Some people can't adjust to the extra weight because they are use to the lighter racquets. Some people regret the purchase of CN/CP versions because they are not use to the extra weight and put down the racquets. Best choice is to by a SP and CN/CP JP versions for comparisons.

13. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Pete, why should we trust you?

Pete, statements like yours aren't helpful (in their present form at least) because you don't give us any explanations, facts, sources, authorities or any reason to make us believe you are correct. If you have any foundation for your opinion, please let us know rather than just posting a bald opinion that could be anything from the absolute truth to a complete fabrication.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Such a comparison can never be without bias, unfortunately.

15. Pete

Pete Guest

Re: Pete, why should we trust you?

Brett,

Maybe I have been too unlucky so far. Of all the SP versions I have been in contact so far, most of them are not as durable as JP versions, period. Well, this is my personal experience so far and 2 cents worth of comment.

16. Pete

Pete Guest

Re: Pete, why should we trust you?

Brett,

Maybe I have been too unlucky so far. Of all the SP versions I have been in contact so far, most of them are not as durable as JP versions, period. Well, this is my personal experience so far and 2 cents worth of comment.

17. Kazumi

Kazumi Guest

I checked the site and it indeed says that 3UG4¥5 and 10mm long.
    I bought MP55 here in Holland and I am satisfied with its performance. I only wonder how the performance would be if this racket is 10mm longer...