Backhand clear from rear court to opponents rear court

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by michael_khong, Jul 7, 2007.

1. michael_khong

michael_khong Regular Member

I can only do this occasionally and most of the time it goes straight into the smashing line of the opponent. i have watched many badminton technique videos but havent really worked it out. how do u do it?

2. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    This question has reincarnated many times over. Please click on the "Search" button above and type in "backhand clear" for the fount of knowledge awaiting to be discovered.

-dave

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Practise a lot, look for the proper grips (there's a guide here on BC), and go on Youtube and search up the Zhao Jianhua's CCTV badminton episodes, as one of them covers the backhand clear.

4. michael_khong

michael_khong Regular Member

Thanks alot for the help

5. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    I had the same prob you had but i think i have figured it out. Positioning is important. The birdie needs to be infront of you first.

I do not change my grip. I keep my forehand grip. I feel i can put more power into it cause more movement is allowed with this grip. I have tried it with backhand grip, i cant get the power with it.

Twisting the body (middrift) as much as you can helps with the power. preparing for it, my upper back is slightly bent down with racket facing back of court and then i straighten the back and stretch out the chest with the arm coming up to hit the shuttle. Al this body rotation wil help with power

Smacking down the right foot (if right handed) at the same time you hit the shuttle.

I feel the main bit of power comes from pronation and supination of the forearm. Im not sure which is used here but it is just generally twisting the forearm while hitting the birdie.

and then PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. :D:D:D

(Mayb even try a squash racket doing the stokes while practicing as the extra weight will help to stregthen up the arm and therefore give more power etc.)

This is what i do, it mite be rite, it mite be wrong but i can hit it quite far to the back of the court when im at the back of the court. I havent perfected it just yet but im getting there. Going to get a squash racket today to use that for practice. Hope this helps :cool:

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

This is correct, and you've got the reason exactly right too. :) The "backhand grip" is misleadingly named.