crosses and mains

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by marivin, Feb 26, 2002.

1. marivin

marivin Guest

Is it necessary to have different tensions on your cross and main strings? I just got my mp77 strung with bg70 pro but I only specified one tension to the guy at the shop; I asked for 20lbs.
    Would having the racket strung at 20lbs, both on the crosses and mains result in my racket frame collapsing?

2. Johnson

Johnson Guest

Over a period of time the frame will collapse. Mainly at 12 o'clock. That is what happened to me. Could be anywhere else on the racquet. The ISO heads are prone to collapsing at 12 o'clock. 2 lbs. difference is the way to go.

3. clive

clive Guest

i'm not so sure. i had my mp 77 strung with bg 70pro at 21lbs for about 7 months. nothing happened. also, many many people i know have had their racquets strung with the same tension consistently for many years without the racquets breaking. but i think the different tension thing is necessary for the mp series or the iso series - i'm not too sure of the theory.

i dont think your racquet will snap tomorrow but next time you restring it you might want to go with different tensions.

clive

4. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    I think it depends on the stringer. Most stringers knows that the ISO head racquets requires a two lb difference between the main and cross and I believed (don't quote me here) when you ask for 20 lbs, they will string it so that the overall tension is 20 lbs but still with the main/cross having the two lbs difference.

The two lbs difference is required (as I've been told) to maintain the ISO head. I have always asked for x lbs tension without having to specify the main & cross.

5. wake

wake Guest

Professionals regularily string these racquets at 26-30 lbs, theres no way string it 20lbs cross and main is going to warp it.

6. Bob

Bob Guest

Would the 2 pounds difference be in the cross or main?
    What i mean is would the cross have 2 pounds less
    ie. 20 pounds cross, 22 pounds main
    or 22 pounds cross, 20 pounds main

For isomentric frames?
    And would normal frames be the same tension?