Smelly Grip(New)

Discussion in 'Grip' started by 2007fp, Jul 10, 2007.

1. 2007fp

2007fp Regular Member

Student
    I receive my racquet from overseas, the racquet looks good, but than the grip smell really bad from some old post people say is cause of bacteria or what ever(which make sense, i have other brand racquet having the exactly same smell) just what to post it to see if Im just unlucky or it happens often?

Now I remove that grip, rubbed the wood with hand senizatizer, spray with 99% gem killing things, than wrap the whole wood with electric tape.... put another replacement grip on.......

2. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    Yes, you may also want to spray some men's deodorant on that as well, that helps. If the rackets come from SE Asia, the cork that make up the inner grip may have moulds in there due to the high humidity, and here comes the smell!

3. 2NDround

2NDround Regular Member

Use Babolat Symbio overgrips. They are impregnated with anti bacterial agent and will keep the grip free of smell far longer than normal grips.

4. 2007fp

2007fp Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for your reply.

But did Yonex did some special treatment to the grip? The Yonex I got is free from this bad oder.

5. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    Probably Yonex use a better grade of wood/cork inside their grips.

6. 2NDround

2NDround Regular Member

I don't think Yonex special treat their grip. I use Yonex racquets and the grips stink to high heaven within 2 weeks:eek: However, I sweat a lot and the grips were always soak with sweat after the game. Bacteria love sweat, if you can keep your grip dry, it will remains free of smell longer. Alternately, spray biocide on the grip or use a biocide treated overgrip.