New Carlton models

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Mag, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I just saw a number of new Carlton models at a German web shop (www.badmintonladen.de). The new range is called "MegaFlex" ('duh' is my comment to that). And worh to note is that they have also revived the classic "PowerFlo" 1-piece concept and designed a bunch of new ones.

Pricing is really high though -- the MegaFlex F1 Ti is priced well above the MP100 for instance...

Does anyone know more about these new Carltons?

2. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Man the Powerflo's Look great! The one with 300Mm as balance point and 83G is def going to be a hot seller! I am waiting here eagerly for it! I guess in 3 months they will be here and they will be cheap too!

Let us see!

3. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    Ahhh..... i wanted new carlton's.....Carlton is great... freakin fantastic.

4. Mikie

Mikie Regular Member

banker
    We'll take a look at'em. In a month or so I guess...

5. Brett

Brett Regular Member

I can't wait until the new 2002 models hit Carlton's website - in 2006. :(

Those lazy jerks have even disconnected their "Contact Carlton" link now, instead of just automatically deleting all incoming messages.

6. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Looks like the Megaflex models have abandoned the CFS III flex cap. They look kind of ugly, like Carlton's cheap steel framed school racquets.

7. Dai10k3n

Dai10k3n Regular Member

Student
    yea...the powerflo look really nice! =)

so i guess they are out already, i was wondering if any body can get me one of these and ship it to Canada.

please drop a line here or email me at Dai10k3n@hotmail.com

8. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Yes, I guess the MegaFlex is the name of the new generation CFS cap. That flat thing I suppose...

Appearance-wise, Carlton has kept a clear line in their top models (apart from the signature models) during the last 5 years. Some say it's dull and boring, some say it's cool and sleek. Regardless of which, from a designer's point of view (yeah, that's me) they have been recommendably consequent.

Now they are obviously trying to change, and have adopted an entirely new look. Most brands today seem to converge towards graphics that are less colorful, more subtle, more grey and metallic colors, more restrained typography. Look at the Yonex MP series, look at the new Forza models, look at Victor.

It is interesting to note that Carlton has decided to head in the complete opposite direction with the MegaFlex series. It can mean either of two things:

1) Carlton are hopelessly lost in the mid-90's, and are oblivious to what's going on at the moment.

or

2) Carlton are very much in tune with what's going on, and have realized that to be different, you have to be different in all aspects, not just in new technology.

Personally, I'd vote for number 2. I think it's time for a serious comeback.

Another interesting thing is that while Yonex keep trying to reinvent the frame, Carlton keep trying to reinvent the handle. And isn't it also interesting that Yonexes always break in the frame, but Carlton always break in the handle? ;)

9. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Mag, what do you mean by "recommendably consequent?" Do you mean remarkably consistent?

10. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Sometimes I just write too fast... I slipped on the words there, yes: remarkably consistent makes more sense than recommendably consequent... :p

Thanks, and sorry for the confusion!

Anyway, I might add on that thread that Carlton's decline has gone pretty much hand in hand with the decline of British badminton... And, if one looks at international junior tournament results, for British badminton there is currently little light in sight...

The top names of the Carlton team were a bunch of Brits, a couple of Swedes and Yong Hock Kin. They must grab a new world class player like YHK if they mean business...