Hawk Eye system, anyone?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by markchan, Jul 14, 2007.

1. markchan

markchan Regular Member

Just watched the LD vs LCW match. Some of the calls were really close and it might have turned the match in one way or another. It is very strange that the chair umpire over-ruled a baseline call by the line judge as it would be hard to judge from where he is sitting. Normally they over-rule when it is a sideline shot (on his side).

Thus, would badminton follow some of the other sports, tennis , being the recent one, to use the Hawk eye system. They can follow like Wimbeldon where a player,say,is only allowed 3 chanllenges per set.

2. Slicedbanana07

Slicedbanana07 Regular Member

I'm not sure. The hawkeye isn't 100% anyway. It's just a simulation based on video footage and measurements during a period of time/ rally. For sports like tennis and cricket, it's easier to implement as the pace is slower than badminton. But it could be featured.

3. madbad

madbad Regular Member

How much does a Hawkeye machine cost? There'll need to be a minimum of 4 per court–2 on the baselines and 2 on the sidelines. On average there are 4 courts in play at the arena. So that makes 16 machines minimum. I guess the question is whether BWF considers getting these machines (x16) worthwhile

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

This topic has been discussed before and the prob is shuttle is not a ball, the speed is too fast and decelerate too fast. Also the player is in the court most of the time. Margin of error is higher than human eyes.

5. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    No way!!

A high-speed camera will be superior to the human eye.. No question about that!!!.. (there is a reason for having goal-photos in track&field, horse-races etc)..

120fps is much much more than what your eye can handle :)

Just the reruns from std. cameras at WC etc clearly showes that line-judges frequently make misstakes... I think strategically plased cameras running at high-speed could be beneficial..Especially with the 21 point systms where a few line-calls may make the difference between winning and loosing a tight match.

/Twobeer

6. markchan

markchan Regular Member

I agree with 2beer, maybe if hawkeye not feasible, then at least the use of high speed cameras wud be a cheaper alternative.
    And yes, in a tight 21 pt rally game, 2 wrong calls could mean winning and losing OR a player walking out ..... :D:D

7. Green72(CAN)

Green72(CAN) Regular Member

If anyone has watched hockey, you know that they don't rely on the referees' calls when the referees are unsure.

They use cameras from many different angles to confirm what actually happened rather than what referees or judges THINK has happened.

I think this is a very feasible thing to do. I've seen some bad line calls that could have easily been overruled if the umpire or someone just watched the slow motion. Instead of that, the rally is usually lost by the player who has won.

I don't know what's holding the badminton sport back from doing something that hockey does.

8. madbad

madbad Regular Member

......$$ MONEY! $$......

9. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    true also... money is the matter
    why not suggest to place 3 linesman per line? majority wins!! yeahhhh:rolleyes:
    sometimes are more fun to watch human touch in games, not relying on gadgets. badminton court is much smaller than tennis court, thus, the necessary of hawk eye is not appreciated. high camera might be more considerable......:D

10. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

the problem isn't the matter of technology. its the problem of PEOPLE.

we have tv-replays, we see it lots every game of every match, watching the shuttle dribble over the net and land slightly out, or have it land on the edge of baseline, etc...
    if the umpire had access to these replays, VOILA! the problem would be solved. and they wouldn't have to spend a single dime on extra cameras and sensor technologies.

11. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Agree.. But adding some high-speed cameras that BWF supplies and moves between the Super-series tournament, wouldn't be a staggering cost as I see it (and more accurate :) )..

If I where to dream on high-speed cameras could also be used for replays of netkills, defending and smashes (in conjunction with the smash-speed measurement, for som exiting slow motion reruns on TV, to make the game more presentable as well!!!

/Twobeer

12. Slicedbanana07

Slicedbanana07 Regular Member

How do you have 3 lines man per line!? :eek:

13. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    hm... use imagination, sit on staircase type of chair...:D
    mistake: high speed camera, not high camera...:eek:

14. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

This type of attitude could benefit SO many sports! Badminton is intrinsically stop/start and, unlike tennis, the player's don't hit the shuttle after a close line bounce, so studying slo-mo replays is much less disruptive.

This year's Wimbledon introduced a "challenge" system, whereby a player can argue a dodgy line call and Hawkeye will settle the matter. If their challenge is correct, they retain their remaining challenges and if not, they lose one (having started with 5 possible challenges).

This would be PERFECT for badminton AND Hawkeye wouldn't be needed, as the ultra slow replays always make it clear whether the shuttle was in or out. Equipping an umpire's chair with a little TV monitor would cost next to nothing, as well!

15. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    While HawkEye isn't 100%, it's pretty damn close. Just a few years ago, its accuracy for tennis was inadequate -- its calculated trajectories could be off by several cm or more. However, within the past year or 2 they've got it down to within 3mm. The improvements were due primarily to 2 factors. They increased the the number of (very) high-speed cameras from 6 up to 10. They also significantly improved the algorithms in the software used to track the ball & calculate its trajectory. There may have been some calibration improvements as well.

Roger Federer may well have been justified in his criticism of some of the HawkEye-based decisions made during the final at Wimbledon this year. A number of those questioned calls appeared to be within that 3mm margin of error. However, a vast majority of questioned calls for most monitored matches are not quite that close -- they often reveal that the ball was out by several cm -- well within HawkEye's capability for making a correct call.

Granted, badminton shuttle speeds coming off the racket on fast shots are often 30-40% faster than initial tennis ball speeds. However, shuttles decelerate much more quickly than tennis balls. The pre-bounce speed of a tennis serve if something on the order of 70-75% of its initial speed. On other tennis shots, the speed just prior to the bounce may be somewhat less than this percentage. I suspect that a badminton shuttle usually hits the floor at a speed that is considerably less than half of its initial speed -- due to the much greater drag (air resistance) for a shuttle than for a tennis ball.

The software algorithms for HawkEye would undoubtedly need to be modified to accurately calculate badminton trajectories. However, given the speed differences I've mentioned, I see no reason why this technology could not be adapted for badminton.

Yes, the HawkEye system is quite expensive. For a single tennis court, it requires 10 (expensive) high-speed cameras, sophisticated software, and a battery of high-speed computers (I believe that I saw at least 8 computers in the HawkEye booth for a professional tournament at Stanford).

I believe that you would still need a similar number of high-speed cameras for badminton to ensure that you have multiple unobstructed views in order to faithfully interpolate/calculate the trajectory of a badminton shuttle.

#15 SystemicAnomaly, Jul 18, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
    LazyBuddy likes this.
  16. markchan

markchan Regular Member

Thanks, SystemicAnomaly. That was an insightful post. Perhaps, with all things electronics, the cost will come down later and the BWF can start to introduce this, if not, then other electronic assistance to ensure accuracy of line calls in the future.

17. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

the thing is, the umpire at the big tourneys (OG, AE, WC, etc) all have computers to register every shot, lets, faults, errors, smash winners, net shot, the list goes on. now we see this even more prevelant with the super series!

its not very difficult to have his screen jacked into the live TV feed as well.

the biggest problem with bad calls is that frequency of the bad calls.
    in a game, if i feel theres bad calls 1/10 times, thats horrible, seeing how few rallies there are nowadays with the new scoring system.

if bad calls existed 1/50 times, maybe i wouldn't care so much, and neither would taufik or lin dan...

and if the live feed and tv replays were available, (umpire wouldn't even need to press a button, just an extra screen perhaps) we can significantly reduce the occurance of accepted bad calls.

LazyBuddy likes this.
  18. Green72(CAN)

Green72(CAN) Regular Member

I just find it a bit silly when there are dozens of cameras capable of showing accurately whether the shuttle has landed in or not around court and none of them are being used to review line calls.

19. Cloggerz

Cloggerz Regular Member

Student, A levels
    hawk eye is soooooooooooooooooooooooo expensive and a poor sport like badderz could never afford it without serious drops in the prise money and the players wouldnt like that would they, now rich games like tennis can have it lol

20. Cloggerz

Cloggerz Regular Member

Student, A levels
    it is a good thing tho and does help line judges make crucial decisions in crucial situations,,