Howard Bach is first American to make impact in badminton

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by jbchiong, Jul 15, 2007.

1. jbchiong

jbchiong Regular Member

2. IndoAmerican

IndoAmerican Regular Member

Great write up.
    We need more articles like this to further promote badminton, especially in the United States.

Speaking of Olympics, had anyone heard a rumor that badminton might be eliminated in the olympics in the future due to lack of the number of countries participating?

#2 IndoAmerican, Jul 15, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  3. staples

staples Regular Member

4. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

5. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    That would suck if they eliminate badminton from the Olympic Games. But I don't really blame them. Top badminton country are just China, Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia and Denmark. There's a lot of other countries that participates, but the top guns are just those 5 countries.

But come to think of it, other sports are like that too. Like womens Gymnastic. USA, China, Russia and Italy are the top dogs that always gets medals. But I guess they're talking about the numbers of countries.

If that's the case, maybe they should allow more entries to compete. I think it's like only 50 contestant per category or something like that.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    how many countries compete in snowboarding? It is an olympic sport as wel

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    the combined population of china, MAL, INA, DEN and KOR represents 25% of world population. IOC would be crazy to eliminate badminton from the OG. Given that badminton is rising in emerging playing countries like India, Vietnam, thailand, phillipine, japan, this would add up to 45% of world population. IOC would be stupid to ignore 45% of population.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    did i read this correctly?

"And a million dollar tournament in Dubai is in the planning."

:eek:

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm, i wonder..

...if that proposed million dollar tournament actually comes to fruition, i wonder if it'll become the main staple tournament for BWF in the future...No longer will the players be oggling at the WC or Olympics or the team events...And if that were the case, i wonder if Taufik is going to announce that he will postpone his supposed retirement after the 2008 Olympics...hmmm..:confused::rolleyes::p:D;)
    *boy, i've gotta do some catch up reading in here..been missing out on a lot of good & fun stuff here..:(:p

#9 ctjcad, Jul 17, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  10. bad_fanatic

ARE YOU SERIOUS:eek: Million dollar tournament!!!

I better start training:D

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    It's about time and hopefully it turns out to be true :). Badminton needs that kind of tournament.

12. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Forget about reading....start practising...even when you are sleeping so you don't miss a second of precious time! Hahaha!!!!LOL!:p:p:D:D

13. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    One word of advice...if you are entering retirement age and no hope of beating LD and the top guns, change *** and try XD, better your chances!!!Hahaha!!!LOL!!:p

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-Actually..

..i meant reading, following and posting in BC;)..I've been pretty pre-occupied with other priorities this past month or so..So much to catch up-hope to catch up:p:(

15. bad_fanatic

At my current skill level, the only way I'm going to win this million dollar tournament is by busting a Tonya Harding move on all of the other players.:D

16. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Unfortunately the IOC charter in deciding which sports is accepted into Olympic does not go by the size of population playing it.

Check my post #82 in this thread: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=581641#post581641

By definition, I think badminton is actually near the boarder line under the definition of article 1.1, which says as a sport, it must be "widely practiced by men in at least 75 countries and on 4 continents, and by women in at least 40 countries and on 3 continents."

Badminton is also to "young" in Olympic to be given special consideration "for the sake of Olympic tradition" under article 4.4.

It is the host country who will propose the number of sports to be held and IOC will endorse (or reject) base on the charter. The charter only govern the minimum sports that has to be included, but not the maximum.

So it is not a given thing that because of the huge number of people play badminton, it will be a guaranteed sport in Olympic.

I know this is off topic, but thought would be better to clarify badminton position in relation to the IOC charter.

17. IndoAmerican

IndoAmerican Regular Member

Badminton consolidates its Olympic status

Just came across this article that Badminton is still an Olympic event at least until 2012...

http://www.internationalbadminton.org/olympicsnewscontent.asp?pageid={CED751CE-9382-4D50-87F5-C5BC0829E089}

http://www.internationalbadminton.org/olympicsnewscontent.asp?pageid={CED751CE-9382-4D50-87F5-C5BC0829E089}