Does the Vintage of the String Make a Difference?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by iMakk, Jul 20, 2007.

1. iMakk

iMakk Regular Member

Hi, just wanted to check if the vintage of string makes any difference. I recently had BG65Ti strung into my MP28 at 22x24. The packet of the string said imported in October 2005, which is nearly 2 years back. Will a string lose any of its properties if it has been kept packed for this long?

Thanks!

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

doubt it, the sealed pack should really stop the string from losing any of its quality for a few years at least. i wouldn't worry too much about it.

have you found it to be lacking in any way compared to say a newer pack?

3. iMakk

iMakk Regular Member

Well - my earlier string in the same racket was a Carlton Aerogut 66, which was a 0.66 mm powerful string. I also use BG65 in another racket at 21X23 and had this BG65Ti strung at 22X24. I do know that BG65Ti is a hard string anyways but I am finding it a bit extraordinarily hard. Thot may be vintage has something to do with flexibility and asked the question on the forum. This one is definitely much harder than the other BG65 that I am using.

4. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

what do you mean by hard, as in the string is brittle?

was the string you're comparing against strung at the same tension by the same stringer?

it's difficult to compare these things unless both sets of strings are strung similarly and are both relatively new, because the strings properties do tend to change depending on how much you've used it.

5. iMakk

iMakk Regular Member

Hard meaning it feels hard on hitting the shuttle. The jerk to the hand is much more, as if you were hitting the shuttle on a wooden surface.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Even left out in the air, it takes a few months (2-3, I think) to make the string feel more like "dead". Therefore, if properly sealed and stored, the string should be perfect usable shape for years. ;)

7. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    nah, 2 years is fine. I recently found some strings that are more than twelve years old and they are indeed brittle.