So i choke like hell

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jchan23, Jul 21, 2007.

1. jchan23

jchan23 Regular Member

Title says it all, everytime I play a tournament, i completely choke..everything i've learned dissapears and go from a mid D player to a F- player

today i played at a tournament and I just completely spazzed or something because the game went by so fast I barely noticed we had lost

(yes were were playing 21)

is there any way to get rid of this (choking spazm)?

2. UncleFester

UncleFester Regular Member

For me it's all about focusing on my own game. Sometimes when i play people that are better than me it helps to consentrate on doing my own strokes correctly. If i'm able to do so it takes my attention away from the opponent(not litterarly, but in the sense that i "forget" the occation).

I've been skateboarding for the last decade, and when i'm trying a trick down a set of stairs or a big gap, or even just a flatgrond trick, I've learned that if I start focusing on the trick itself, alot of the preassure and fear just becomes secondary. The size of the gap is not as intimidating anymore.

For me it's the same with both, if I'm able to focus on what I'm doing, and not all the other ******** things around me, I'm able to play the game I want to. Just for an example: last time I played a superior opponent all of this just fell into place, I even forgot to follow the score. I was about to serve and he was like:"hey, you've won".

It might not work for you, but I'd give it a try.

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Play as if you have nothing to lose. That takes off pressure from you, and think about every shot carefully. It's important you do not let your opponents get the momentum, so if the game is going too fast, slow it down with some lifts or clears. Don't let them control the game!!!

4. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    it's all about experience i guess... ...join every competition you can find to gain experience! when i first started playing chess competitions my nervousness always get the better of me and my brain couldn't really function. but with more experience you can stay more cool under pressure

5. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yeah, you just have to keep playing competitions until it becomes second nature. your nerves will always be there but you'll find you're better able to control them.

6. JC Bonnin

JC Bonnin Regular Member

Graphics Designer
    Yeah, we have both experience. try to keep playing in any competitions until it becomes normal play with you.

7. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    nerves are there for a reason, it shows that you care which is a good thing now some folk can hold a view on this and say if I have nerves, i will do bad but other people say that if i have nerves, its a good thing, and i will play well. What you believe is what comes true. Just imagine urself winning and playing the best ever, this should help.
    I just focus on my game and a lot of the times i don't think about anything. A good tip is to focus all your energy on watching the shuttle, nothing else and everything else, hopefully will fall into place. Hope this helps :D

8. staples

staples Regular Member

Too much pressure huh? Or are you thinking of winning already before the match starts? :)

If you only rate yourself as a mid-D player then chances are that you are losing/choking due to playing stronger opponents in tournaments. Are the players at your club about the same level to those you faced in the tournament?

9. sala_ryan

sala_ryan New Member

Student
    thats not much of a choke really...
    Mid D to F...
    not much difference..
    its like someone from A going to B, the level just dropped

but a choked would be considered something like B going to
    D...

i remember my first tournament, where everything
    i thought that was long would go out
    and i wouldnt hit it...
    and the Umpire(my badminton buddy)
    would ask, whats wrong with me??!!!..
    heheh

10. JC Bonnin

JC Bonnin Regular Member

Graphics Designer
    To: SALA_RYAN,

Saan ba makakabili ng Original na Yonex racket dyan sa Pilipinas? I am planning for vacation this coming december. Napag-alaman ko na mas mura daw ang Yonex racket dyan sa atin. Takot lang ako na maging victim sa mga FAKE na Yonex sa atin kaya kailangan ko payo mo.

Thank you.

11. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

id say d -> f is a choke, one tip my friend suggests is go into (whatever, matches, interviews, social situation) like youre going to get into a fight. Get yourself pumped up! I mean ready to thrash who ever it is. This will get any uneasyness you might feel out of your system, cause when you're amped up you think you can take any one, despite how much greater than you they might be. Key point is that you THINK you can do so. After that skill and performance comes into play and the best person wins. gluck joe

12. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    It's different for everyone. I used to choke on match point. I'd totally dominate, get to match point and let the person catch up 7 points and win the game from me 17 - 14. That's bad! So for a while now, I just tell myself, it's just another point, not a match point and I'm doing alright.

Experience helps a lot too. I still remember how bad my first competitive match was. Play more of them, try to get more practise and perparation to build confidence.

13. UchihaIyer

UchihaIyer Regular Member

My first match I was soooo scared. But during the 3 minute break in between I listened to Fort Minor-Remember the name and got soo pumped up we schooled everyone in the tournament and me and my partner came 2nd!! XD

14. tansarbh

tansarbh Regular Member

Well, I choke infront oa A class players in my cliub, but not all of them. Just two of them, It feels like, what ever I am going to do will not do anything. So I just get depressed as well.

But i think I am over coming it by playing with them often.

15. hybridragon

hybridragon Regular Member

Student
    People have different ways of controlling their nervousness. Listening to music before the game, focusing only what's at hand (hitting the birdie and focusing on directing to the spot you want and getting ready for the next shot), or just using mind tactics such as thinking 'it's just practice' can calm you down. Most of all, like most have said, gaining experience from playing tournaments will also help you adapt to the situation. I've felt it before, and after much experience, I've learned to control most of it and even enhance my game while I'm still somewhat nervous.

But what do you mean by 'choking spazm'? Does something specifically happen?