Badminton: Unfinished business for Koo-Tan

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by ixory, Jul 24, 2007.

1. ixory

ixory Regular Member

Badminton: Unfinished business for Koo-Tan

By : K.M. Boopathy
    NST Online

REJUVENATED Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, following their Philippines Open title, are not jumping for joy as yet as they still have some unfinished business — the World Championships at the Putra Stadium on Aug 13-19.
    Last Sunday’s triumph was the pair’s first title in four months following a drastic loss of form.

[​IMG] Wisely, Boon Heong (picture) does not want to be deceived by a false dawn and intends to remain focused on ending Malaysia’s long wait for its first world crown since the inception of the tournament in 1977.

In Manila, Kien Keat and Boon Heong showed glimpses of the brilliance which won them the All England crown in March, and the latter promised an even better performance in the World Championships.

Boon Heong acknowledged the importance of the Philippines Open title in terms of regaining their winning touch but said that it will be foolhardy to think that the world crown is firmly in their grip.
    "We needed to start winning again and that was achieved in the Philippines. The World Championships is a different story altogether and we must remain focused," said the 20-year-old Boon Heong yesterday.

"My fitness level has improved over the last four weeks and my attack is much sharper. This was lacking previously and I believe I can improve further on my overall game before the major event.

"The competition is going to very tough we cannot afford to slack anymore as the opposition in the World Championships is going to be very strong.

"Keeping away from the limelight has also helped as we managed to regroup after playing so badly in the Sudirman Cup (last month) and I can only say that the best still is still yet to come." :cool:

That will definitely serve as a warning to their main rivals Fu Haifeng-Cai Yun of China, the World No 1, and Indonesia’s World No 2 Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan, as the Malaysian pair looked solid throughout the Philippines Open last week.

The win will also move Kien Keat-Boon Heong, currently ranked World No 3, above Markis-Hendra when the new rankings are released tomorrow. Their new ranking will ensure they avoid a meeting with Haifeng-Cai Yun until the final by virtue of being second seeds.

Defending champions Haifeng-Cai Yun, who have won three straight titles, are the only pair capable of matching Kien Keat-Boon Heong who will also enjoy home advantage.

However, national doubles coach Rexy Mainaky had said that it is never easy going into the World Championships as the defending champions and as the top seeds and this could probably give the Malaysian pair an edge.

Malaysia’s other pairs in the World Championships — Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah, Fairuzizuan Tazari-Zakry Latif and Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock — have been struggling with their form, so much so that Rexy has put his money on Kien Keat-Boon Heong to triumph in the World Championships.

That, coming from Rexy, is a strong indication and Kien Keat-Boon Heong’s win in the Philippines Open could not have come at a better time.

2. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    iT WILL BE THEIR 1ST ever WC experince as pairs.. Hopes MAS media doesnt put too mch pressure on them.. They seems to be enjoy the pressure frm the crowds rather than frm press:D:D

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Koo/Tan have the perfect timing, location, and local support. if they are to win the WC, the best opportunity will be this August. good luck to them!

4. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    The roar of the home crowd will also drive them to win the title even more so than just their own desires, KKK/TBH are my favourites to win it.

5. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i hope the home crowd will drive them to victory too. just worried it will put too much pressure on them to win. nonetheless, i want them to win it. :D

6. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    haha. i want them to win too!! :D

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Yeah..

...their biggest advantage is the homeground advantage..;)

8. gidong

gidong Regular Member

no MATTER WHAT .. KKK TBH will win this WC ... Believe it or not :p

9. thiery

thiery Regular Member

in my entire life, i had only watched one live badminton match that is during All England this year at NIA birmigham and KKK/TBH won it.

i gonna watch my 2nd live one in KL. if KKK/TBH wins it again, which i have faith in it, i would be a very lucky person.

10. Felicia_txh

Felicia_txh Regular Member

Student
    I read an interview on Boon heong/Kient Kiet in the newspaper today..
    Boon Heong said he n kkk will not give themselve much pressure..they need to defeat all the opponents to become the champion..
    After 3 months of intensive training,they are better now..So,GAMBATE!!I noe u can do it!!:););)