Badminton: Kien Keat is his own man

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by ixory, Jul 26, 2007.

1. ixory

ixory Regular Member

Badminton: Kien Keat is his own man

By : K.M. Boopathy
    NST Online

KOO Kien Keat is his own man and feels that people should judge him on what he delivers and not how he delivers.
    Kien Keat has been criticised, sometimes unfairly, for his overzealous and flamboyant play on court but the shuttler feels that changing things at this stage of his playing career, could be a huge mistake.

So he has no intention of curbing his style of play. In fact, the 22-year-old Kien Keat was quick to point out that he has been playing like this — overzealous and flamboyant — since his junior days and still did well with partner Tan Boon Heong on the on the world stage.

Kien Keat and Boon Heong clinched the Doha Asian Games gold last December and earlier this year, won the Malaysia Open, the All England and the Swiss Open where the former was cited more for his lively style on court rather than his exceptional talent.

The pair suffered a drastic loss of form after the Swiss Open in March and having endured a tough four months, Kien Keat is looking forward to World Championships at Putra Stadium on Aug 13-19 where he intends to continue being himself. "I don’t mind being criticised but I’ll utilise every method that helps me to perform well," said Kien Keat yesterday.
    "My lively nature on court is spontaneous and has always helped uplift my performance. I will continue to be aggressive but not cocky. "I do not force myself to do something if I’m not comfortable and neither is anything planned. Being cheerful and aggressive at the same time has been my key to performing well. Take that away and my performance will be affected."

Kien Keat continued: "Psychological battles are equally important and this is employed by most top players. We need to match our opponents in every aspect to win and I’ll continue performing at the top without curbing my natural habits."

"The World Championships is the most crucial event for us and we will have to battle the hard way to be successful and I have full faith in my style," he added.

Kien Keat also stated that there are many players who are well mannered on court but are extremely rude and arrogant off the court and he doesn’t want to become like that.

In fact, Kien Keat’s role as the aggressor is also due to the reserved and calm nature of his partner Boon Heong and he has perfected his role as in almost the identical manner of his coach Rexy Mainaky.

The deeply religious and disciplined Rexy, in his heyday as a player, becomes a tyrant on court and torments his opponents with his psychological battles. He won every major title at stake with partner Ricky Subagja in the 90s, and Kien Keat’s expects to do the same in his career.

2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I kinda agree with what KKK says about himself. When he tried to curb is flamboyant approach, the pair's fortunes went down. People don't normally work well when they are not allowed to be themselves. While allowing him to play his normal game, there must be better ways to harness/amplify his talent and infectious attitude.

BTW, I wonder who he meant when he said there were players who well mannered on the court but rude and arrogant off it...?

3. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Well,i really admirer KKK attitude no matter on court or off court,i guess this is the reason why so many person like him and also so many dislike him.Well, i agree that nobody know him better than himself.Just believe in his own.Sometimes we can't change other people view about us,what we can do is just do our best.All the best to him in the coming World Championship.

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Don't judge a book by its Cover.

#4 ants, Jul 27, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  5. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Ask him what is so different when he become nobody then suddenly became a star.his answer will be the reason for his bad performance lately.

6. thiery

thiery Regular Member

all good players should possess a little element of ego on the court because that's what makes a good player. i'm okay with KKK's attitude on court. it lifts the spirit and excitement of the game.

7. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Message to KKK, just be yourself !!! You don't have to care how others are judging you. If you continue to deliver results, the world will enjoy your acts on the court.

8. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    hope he hears u.i have the same message like u .But do u really think he has time to visit this forum???

9. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    just... leave him alone la.. he noes wads best for himself more than any of us here although we so expert in "literal" section of the game...... and practical much more important in sports aint it.. :D

10. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    If WE - the supporters leave him alone,then OTHERS - with their criticises will bring him more depression.Got it?? Leave us-the supporters of kkk ALONE.

11. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I don't get it, when KKK is being flamboyant or overzealous then he's just badge as being himself. Where as when Lin Dan does the same then he's badge as being cocky and arrogant.

Anyway I think that the players should control themself. He might think that he's being himself, but other player can take it as though he's being disrespectful to them. There's matches that I've seen where his opponent does the same and he wasn't so happy. There's the golden rule, do to other as you want others to do to you. But I guess he likes it when his oppenent act the way he does.

12. Dimplex

Dimplex Regular Member

student
    the way kkk just makes it all the more exciting to watch imo

13. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

The problem with some of us is that we have 2 set of rules; one for our idol and another for those we don't like. And that's where we go wrong.

IMO, it's okay to be 'expressive' on court. Like Thiery says, it does add excitement & spirit to the game. Otherwise, the sports journalist will have nothing much to write other than the score, right?

14. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Well, to me there is the following difference. In KKK's case, my impression is that he just can't help it. He kind of forget about courtesy and stuff. While in LD's case, I always feel his "flamboyancy" is directed at his opponents and he is doing that deliberately to make opponents angry (most obvious when he played PG in 04, when PG is still very strong). These are my impressions from the first day I watched LD (in 2003) and KKK (in 2005) play. I was not a fan of either at that time.

Put it simply, I always judge this kind of things by assuming: what if I am their opponents? I find that I can tolerate KKK more.

Anyway, it's all subjective. There can be no proof. It may turn out that KKK is a natural born actor, who knows.

#14 ye333, Jul 31, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  15. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Totally agree with your 'compare and contrast' analysis of KKK and LD. LD, in one match, was mockingly rude to PG. It was disgusting to inadvertently be a witness.

16. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    what did LD do? i must have missed that match. but i do know that when LD refuse to wear the traditional hat in sarawak, i think it was the malaysian open against LCW, now that was rude. even if you dont like the hat or something, you should wear it just so as not to offend the hosts. that incident was the start of my dislike of LD, good player though he is.

17. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Thats the way Azabah ipoh .I know theres someone will understand feel what i feel

18. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

When you see the match, you will understand.I don't store these things cos they don't deserve to be archived but impressions are hard to bin ; the matches are probably 2 or 3 years ago and PG just came back from injury.LD's body language is very easy to read;he's a bad actor. But in verbal language, he is well trained,so in this he can be a good actor.
    Anyway he has been paying dearly for his MO07 mistake, there's nothing he can do about that now.He used to be quite popular here before but a lot of his former fans have turned against him.They show it by cheering for his opponents without jeering him.

19. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I on the other hand think that Peter wasn't that great either. I have the video of the 2004 AE MSF. During that game Peter would often pump is fist directly at LD and often time get into position wait until LD serve and then raise his hand as ask for a let. LD raised his racket to apologized, but PG continuously to do it through out the match. At the end of the match, PG patted LD on the head, and LD took it offensively. To me PG isn't so great himself.

For KKK, there's matches that I saw (2005 Sudirman Cup against the Japanese), he knew the shuttle was out, but he intentionally swing and miss on purpose. I don't think that's very curtious to your opponent.

20. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Its all about Mental battle on court. Sometimes you need to do what you need to do to motivate yourself and show your opponent that you are still steady. All these happens on court. After the match, everything will be back to normal.