Women's Singles, Doubles & Mixed Doubles

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by abedeng, Jul 26, 2007.

1. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    OK, let's talk about the other 3 disciplines. Seems they are less glamourous than Men's Singles and Doubles.

Women's Singles:-
    Looks like a straight fight again between ZN and double X. However, we've seen it before, both crumbled in Asian Games 06 and Wang Chen/Yippie made the grade. The CHN 2nd tier brigade (Zhu Lin/Lu Lan) are just not consistent enough, losses to lower ranked opponents must have caused LYB headaches.

I hope to see another heartwarming performance from local players WMC, Julia and Lydia Cheah.

Women's Doubles:-
    Disappointed that Yang Wei/Zhang Jiewen are not playing. Even so, CHN WD possess sufficient strength in GL/HS and defending champs ZY/WY. At least there is not going to be 4 CHN pairs dominating this time, so at least 1 semis spot can be fought by some of the non-CHN pairs. But top TPE and THA pairs are not competing.

Mixed Doubles:-
    If any other pair can nick this other than Gao Ling/Zheng Bo, I would say it's a minor miracle. Having said that, 3 pairs have the best chance against the top form CHN duo, the 2 ENG pairs and Flandy/Vita. Not Widianto/Natsir, even though they were the only ones who had beaten Gao Ling/Zheng Bo, in S'pore Open Super Series (a match I missed seeing).

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I hope..

..there will be a few surprises, one of which i would like to see Zhou Mi entering the WS Final and who knows what'll happen...If she should meet one of LYB's top gals in the late rounds, hmm, things could get interesting..:rolleyes::p;):cool:

#2 ctjcad, Jul 26, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  3. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I wish it were so, but I think Zhou Mi's fitness is not up to mark, she was struggling in Philippine Open.

4. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yeah, i think zhou mi will have an impact on the order of badminton, but maybe not just yet, give her another 3-6 months and if she continues to progress at this rate, she'll be there amongst the top.

5. champion8

champion8 Regular Member

i wish the Malaysian women will make an impact. I am dreaming i guess. Go for it, Ladies...

6. thiery

thiery Regular Member

i dont think zhou mi is qualified for the WC. she is ranked below wang chen and YPY.

7. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

each country is allowed to send 4 representatives to the WC, no? of course, this is if their rankings are high enough.

8. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    In women's singles, Double X will be vulnerable if somehow ZN is beaten at any round earlier than semifinals. We know Wang Chen, Pi Hongyan, Xu Huaiwen, even Yippie are capable of that. This is what had happened in Doha Asian Games, when each country is restricted to 2 players.

It remains to be seen if Zhu Lin and Lu Lan can assist in "holding the fort", or better still, win the title outright.

But I suppose CHN will hold on to their WD title and wrest XD from England.

9. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    WS: China.
    WD: China

Lock thread.

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Does anyone know..

..what is XXF's and ZN's playing record in any M'sian-based tourneys??..I just want to see for reference..:)

11. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Both didn't play in recent M'sian Open Super Series, in the 2006 event Zhang Ning won the title, but Double X got beaten by Tracy Hallam in semis.

12. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Zhou Mi has not qualified for this year's WC.

#12 hcyong, Jul 28, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Thanks for confirming that..

..abedeng:cool:..Have ZN and XXF played in any other M'sian-based tourneys prior to 2006??..:confused:
    ..and thanks also, hcyong:cool:..Sorry, this could be a typo, but does that mean the qualification period is not over?? Is her playing status still pending??..Because if it's already closed, then shouldn't it be "Zhou Mi didn't qualify for this year's WC"..:confused:

#13 ctjcad, Jul 28, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  14. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    ZN and Double X, they have played but as I remember, never met in previous Malaysian Opens. It was always, ZN vs another player, or two different CHN players in finals.

2007 - ZN and Double X didn't play
    2006 - ZN won, Double X ko in semis
    2005 - ZN won, Double X ko in last 32
    2004 - ZN won, Double X ko in q-finals
    2003 - ZN ko in q-finals, Double X ko is semis

Up to 2004, Gong Ruina was still playing, and Zhou Mi played up to 2005.

15. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    I find it very confusing to call XXF "Double X" as I thought at first u r refering to XD (Mixed Double).:confused:

Do u call XXZ "Double X" as well?:cool:

Can we just stick to XXF instead of "Double X"?:)

16. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Double X denotes female gene, so I will only use it for Xie Xingfang. Sure, u can keep calling her XXF, no problem with that. Anyway, she doesn't have a good record in Malaysia.

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Gotcha..

..thanks for that, abedeng..With that said, i looking at Zhang Ning to reach at least the Semis, with a very highly Finals appearance..;):cool:

18. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

dont forget our MAS WS player especially wong mew choo... i tink she can go untill the quater... if she can create an upset, mayb semi?? who knows.. REMEMBER MAS OPEN SUPER SERIES 2007? SHE became d runner up...

19. champion8

champion8 Regular Member

I hope Mew Choo can do it. Bcoz i doubt Julia Wong and Lydia Cheah can go far. How about our double and mixed double. any chance

20. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    WPT/CEH are undergoing bad patch since after the All-England, and Chin has not recovered from her knee injury. Wong is a bit temperamental this days. Those cute Japs too are not in form.

In which case my WD support goes to Indonesia and Korea, but unfortunately Marissa/Natsir aren't playing.

XD, the young pair is only out for exposure, whereas Shirley/Joanne might be able to spring an upset, but not likely to clear beyond q-finals. Funny thing with this XD programme this year, only one consistent pair (GL/ZB), the rest can go all the way, or even be beaten in the early rounds. Robertson/Emms would do well to be alert, or they will suffer the same fate as Nova/Lilyana last year.