Ugly Side Of Polictics In Sports

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by PenangBoy, Jul 26, 2007.

1. PenangBoy

PenangBoy Regular Member

Manager
    Below is a news report in The New Straits Times dated 27 July 2007
    “SPORTS Commissioner Tan Sri Elyas Omar, in a bid to put the Selangor BA’s (SBA) internal feud to rest, has directed the association to hold a new Annual General Meeting (AGM) and fresh elections before the start of the fasting month in September.
    Elyas’ decision has been accepted by SBA president V. Subramaniam and current office bearers and the rival committee led by former president Datuk Zakaria Deros, elected in an earlier AGM and elections on April 21. Zakaria was absent from yesterday’s meeting chaired by Elyas with the two parties.

The Commissioner also confirmed that the March 31 committee led by Subramaniam is presently the legal representatives of SBA until the new AGM and elections are held, while the April 21 AGM and elections are illegal.

To avoid confusion of SBA’s affiliates, Elyas has ordered a total of 64 clubs, including the nine bone fide clubs, to re-register with the Sports Commissioner’s Office as soon as possible.

Elyas announced his decision after an appeal by the nine SBA clubs who were not allowed to attend the AGM and elections in March where incumbent deputy president V. Subramaniam was elected unopposed.

Subramaniam had said that based on their records, the nine clubs — Cemerlang Sports Club in Shah Alam, DIF and Logistics Sports and Welfare Club Shah Alam, Sri Pemajuru Construction Sports Club, Tanjung Sports Club, Wira Sports Club Petaling Jaya, Rose Sports and Recreational, Setia Sports and Recreational Club, Damansara Bersatu Sports Club and Masa Mulia Sports and the Recreation Club in Petaling Jaya — are not affiliated to SBA.

"The entire problem is based purely on lack of management knowledge and the fact that SBA did not have a system were affiliation is formalised. Thus, I have considered the appeal by the nine clubs, and the SBA must now hold a new AGM before the beginning of the fasting period in September," said Elyas at his office yesterday.

"It (yesterday’s) was a fact-finding meeting where several doubts regarding the affiliation were cleared. Subramaniam has said that the nine clubs were never accepted as affiliates and their new applications were not accepted.

"However, a 2002 council meeting’s minutes clarified that the nine clubs were approved as affiliates and they have been paying annual subscriptions.

"All the 64 clubs under SBA must now be re-registered with the Sports Commissioner’s Office as soon as possible. Failing this they will not be allowed to attend the new AGM.

"The entire process of checking the validity of the clubs will be done by my officers while a date will be set after announcing the outcome of the meeting to the Sports Minister."

Elyas also commended both parties, particularly Subramaniam, for agreeing to a new AGM which, hopefully, will end the internal problems plaguing SBA for almost two years. “

It is disheartening to see such fights in badminton association or in any other sports associations. The real victim of such fight is that players suffered. In the Selangor situation, I do not understand why a new election has to be called if the Sports Commissioner has confirmed the legal representative of Selangor Badminton Association (SBA). Also the fact that the President was elected unopposed, how would the 9 disputed associates make any difference to the proposed new election. It would be for the interest of all parties, of which I believe the most affected victim (the players), that the present council members continue with their role to contribute to the progress of badminton in Selangor. If there is any unhappy party wait for the tenure of the current council to be up and then make a challenge to the council in the AGM.

For the matter of fact, Datuk Zakaria, with his numerous personal problems with the contraventions of various laws of the country and other court cases pending, would not be in the best position to head SBA. Datuk Zakaria has been in the helm before the current president and during his term in office, there were hosts of problems including suspension of SBA. Datuk Zakaria, I plead with you to let the current council members run the show and see if the current council members can do a better job. You have been there and there is no spectacular achievement during your tenure. Be a good sport for the interest of badminton in the state. Do not ruin the potential talents available and to be discovered.

For the others who wish to challenge the current council members, please reconsider. Let the current council members prove their worth for the next 2 years and if they are not heading the sports anywhere, I am willingly in support of all of you to mount a challenge for the best interest of the badminton in the state. Be rational and do not let your heart rules over your rational heads. Let us not have politics to kill the beautiful game of badminton.

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^I hope..^^

:p..this is not related to the current 'typhoon' that is in BWF..:confused::rolleyes::(

3. kewsoo

kewsoo Regular Member

God forbid

badminton means politics is what is off late the coffee talk everywhere

Grassroot to apex ! god save badminton :crying:

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Politics not only hapen in Malaysia.. u have not seen the worse yet.

5. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

you mean you have some news of worse things yet to come?

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Yeah.. sorry cant mention it here. Sensitive issue.

7. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    mess.

Well, this mess happen to one of my friends son who happen to be a top junior player. Was in the paper too.

I suppose, leadership need to have a good vision and be able to work for the best interest of the state badminton or any sport. Again, transparency is important; the leaders should do a proper presentation as to what they propose to do for the state (from junior to senior level) and let the members vote for it. Just like any election system. If they fail as proposed, then change a new leader. Simple as that. Have the committee members track the milestone.:D

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Oh my..

:p..and i second kewsoo, "God save badminton"..:p:eek::(

9. kewsoo

kewsoo Regular Member

Can this forum build up the following to develop the badminton game in developing and underdeveloping countries [badminton developing and underdeveloped]

a. beach badminton [plastic feather]
    b. school level badminton [reduced netsize and racket size] to promote from the younger age
    c. academies which BC can support

Let us build and develop the badminton which can be played at grassroots be it mongolia, kenya, libya, etc etc

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member