Help to string a tennis racquet

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by coachgary, Jul 31, 2007.

1. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

A friend of mine would like me to re-string his tennis racquet!! Yikes!! I've been doing his badminton racquets for a couple of years now. Hopefully with a bit of advice from you all here regarding type of string and stringing tips, things to be carefull of, etc he will still be a friend after this nightmare!!

Cheers

Gary

PS. I have an electronic constant pull machine, 6 point clamp down.

2. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    It isn't difficult at all. At the very least you don't have to deal with shared holes. Just make sure you find the proper string pattern either on the manufacturer's website or the klippermate website.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think you need tennis clamps? I don't think the badminton ones fit. :rolleyes:

4. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

I have tennis clamps also thankfully. The Klipper site seems to be down at the moment.

The racket is a Prince thunder ultralite titanium Oversize! 16m x 19C. 50-55lb.
    This is the info printed on the racket. I've tried checking which string to use although I'm probably more confused than ever. Will buy something mid range and give it a go. Won't be charging labour cost this time anyhow, just the string price.

Found a site earlier toady with the pattern on it, two piece stringing rec'd.

Will let you know how I got on with the job later.

5. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

The pattern is same for all the prince thunder oversize. 16Mx19C Skip 7, 9 top and 7,9 throat. Main tie off on 8 throat. Cross start tie on top 5 start on top 7. cross tie off on 6 throat. If you use 2 piece method, I will recommend you to tension the main at his requested tension and drop 2.5 or 3 lb on the main. It’s a tennis thing.

6. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    If you don't know what string to buy, meaning he didn't specify, just get him Prince Synthetic Gut Duraflex. Can't go wrong.

silentheart likes this.
  7. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

silentheart - The pattern is same for all the prince thunder oversize. 16Mx19C Skip 7, 9 top and 7,9 throat. Main tie off on 8 throat. Cross start tie on top 5 start on top 7. cross tie off on 6 throat. If you use 2 piece method, I will recommend you to tension the main at his requested tension and drop 2.5 or 3 lb on the main. It’s a tennis thing.

Please clarify? Drop tension on crosses or main?

8. silentheart

Sorry, I missed it. Drop 2.5lb on the cross...

9. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Ahh I see. This sounds interesting. Is there a reason for this. Looking at how shots are made in tennis, the crosses are facing up and down at contact point mostly as the ball tends top be struck below shoulder height.

10. silentheart

OK, here is the theory. In Tennis, the frame is thicker, stunger and can take higher tension without changing shape. The main is longer than cross by about 5~10% depend on the racquet. So if you string the main and cross at the same tension and hit the ball at the center of the racquet. It will take much more force to move the cross than main for the same distnance at same tension. Cross will take most of the force and main does les work. Since main is longer than cross, you want to have main take eaqual or more force than cross. so you drop tension on the cross to comp that. Ususally, I drop 2 lb for flat shot player and 3 lb for top spin player. Also the main do not get out of position because it can move freely.
    Hope this help.

11. silentheart

In Badminton, you increase 2lb or 10% on the cross to keep the fram shape and tension even. This is due to the thinner frame and the frame, string and shaft work together more vs string and shaft do most of the work for tennis.

12. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

thanks for your help

13. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Strung the tennis racquet last night. Went really very well and was surprised at how straight forward it was. No shared grommets apart from tie off points although these were easily negotiated.
    Strung mains to 25kg and dropped 1kg for the crosses.

My machine coped easily with higher tension for tennis. Really pleased.

Man ythanks for your help