Karakal SL 70 Vs Ashaway Superlight

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by sohel, Jul 31, 2007.

1. sohel

sohel New Member

Sales Manager
    Hi there,

I'm planning to buy a ultra light badminton racket but can't decide between the Karakal SL 70 (70g) and the Ashaway Superlight range (75g).

Does anyone have any experience/opinion on which one I should buy? :confused:

2. Ken168

Ken168 Regular Member

Student
    i would go for karakal:D

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I would really try to play-test both of them first - my friend from the club played with the SL70 and told me that my AT800 Off "felt" lighter. In quoting the weight, the manufacturers can be a bit clever and not include the handle.

The Ashaways have what's quoted as "medium stiff" shafts, and the 79SQ has (I think) more head weight than the 78, making it better for attacking. The Karakal is definitely head-light (at least compared to the sledgehammers I normally use:D) and has probably the best manoeuvrability of any racket I've ever tried.

To be honest, though, I would also look at some Yonex rackets in the 4U weight class - they are deceptively light.

4. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    why not try out the RSL X2-FP. the lightest in diamond series.

5. asgonzales

asgonzales Regular Member

Salesman
    I've been using an SL70 for more than a year now. I have another racket, a much heavier Wilson EXO which I use for strengthening. This gives me the advantage of training/ doing drills using a heavy racket then switching to the SL70 when competing. The racket-head speed you can generate with this method is mind-boggling. Be careful when you overdo this technique. You might break the sound barrier when you smash!! Karakal's lightest is the the best of the light rackets, not necessarily the best of all.

6. michael071091

michael071091 Regular Member

student
    i would go for the karakal too, a lot of people i know play with it and they all like it.

7. Temasek Green

Temasek Green Regular Member

Previously I own 2 Karakal SL-70 ,Prince triple threat and play with my friend Woven-6. For superlight racket in my " personal opinion" I prefered Woven 6.

8. Temasek Green

Temasek Green Regular Member

9. SpinAxel

SpinAxel Regular Member

The SL-70 is one of my very first rackets. It is fun to play with and very good in defense. The combination of being lightweight and head heavy makes it easy to smash with. It's a good racket but it lacks a little in power.

10. asgonzales

Salesman
    SpinAxel,

How can you say that the SL70 is ur first racket?? It was only released quite recently (less than 2 years ago, i think)? Maybe you have played other rackets before owning the SL70.

11. SpinAxel

SpinAxel Regular Member

I said,"it's one of my very first rackets". But to make it better understood,I should have said" it's among one of my very first rackets" :).
    Anyway as far I know the SL-70 was introduced more than 2 years ago. The one I had before was colored blue. The one my friend had was colored silver and he bought it way before mine. I bought my racket August 2005 together with two other rackets. I was just starting to play back then. I was using a borrowed yonex clone before. :)

#11 SpinAxel, Oct 3, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  12. asgonzales

Salesman
    SpinAxel,
    Ok , I understand. I assumed you've been playing for 20 years or more basing on your age, most of us start playing seriously in our early twenties.

Anyways, I have seen the 2007 version of SL70 and it appears that the max. tension is now lower than 30lbs. I hope they can make the head profile more aerodynamic so it can slice the air better.