Taufik confirms entry for world meet

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by ants, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar

PETALING JAYA: Malaysian badminton fans can look forward to the presence of Olympic champion Taufik Hidayat in the World Badminton Championships, which will be held at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil from Aug 13-19.

The poser over whether Taufik will be in or out of the championships has been laid to rest with the confirmation of his attendance in the final list of players released by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) two days ago.

Taufik indicated during the Asian Badminton Championships in Johor Baru in April that he might skip the event because his wife will be delivering their first child just days before the championships.

However, Taufik has changed his mind. And he has also expressed his intention to compete in an interview with Indonesian daily Jakarta Post.

He was quoted as saying that it would be his last shot at winning a second world title because he intends to retire after the Beijing Olympics next year.

The world championships, which stated as a biennial event, became a annual affair after 2005 but will not be held during the Olympic year.

“I want to play because there is no world championships next year. Another big aim is also to defend my Olympic title next year,” said Taufik.

His absence from the championships, which Malaysia will host for the first time, would have been a big letdown for the badminton fans, considering his appeal and his reputation as the most naturally talented player in the modern era.

Taufik, ranked 10th in the world, and former Asian champion Sony Dwi Kuncoro are the two Indonesian representatives in the men's singles event.

Malaysian coach Misbun Sidek has huge respect for Taufik even though the Indonesian star was beaten by unheralded Nguyen Thien Minh of Vietnam in the second round of the Philippines Open recently. He feels that it was just Taufik's way to psychologically trick his rivals ahead of a major event.

Taufik lifted his first world title by beating Lin Dan in Anaheim in 2005. It was Lin Dan's turn to be crowned world champion in Madrid last year.

“Regardless of where Taufik is going to be placed in the draw, he will be dangerous and I rate him as one of the strong contenders for the title,” said Misbun.

“He may say he is not fit but I think he is going to be very tough to beat if he is sets his mind on doing well in any particular event. It will be interesting to see whether Taufik drawn in the same half as Lin Dan or Chong Wei.”

Lin Dan is the current world number one ahead of Malaysian Lee Chong Wei. The seedings for the world meet will be released today and the draw will be made the following day.

2. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Congrats to BWF for TH presense!! Thanks Ants!! It really ease every one's doubt about his entry here :)

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Now we are ready for battle.

4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

That is indeed good news. Adds back a little bit of lustre this championship has been losing. Move aside Boonsak, here comes Taufik :cool:

5. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    "Move aside CH" as well :D:D

6. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Yes, yes, yes!!! Now Bukit Jalil will really be "cooking".

7. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

The awesome foursome for the WC consist of : 1. LCW 2. LD 3. Taufik 4. CY .............in that order !:D

8. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    I tot CJ far more superior than CY ?? :rolleyes:

9. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    welcome TH to WC at Malaysia!!
    with the participating of TH, WC will be more exciting.

10. Wildstone

Wildstone Regular Member

He could always opt for 'retired' from the match. Confirmed entry does not guarantee that we will see him playing. (But yeah better than confirmed non-entry)

11. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    CJ is superior to CY, as long as he doesn't play against CY ..... :p

12. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Wow he is also "competing" in an interview :p. Looks like he IS getting serious!

13. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    I knew it. It was just Taufik's way to psychologically trick his rivals ahead of a major event as stated by Misbun.

14. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

:D Totally agree!

Btw, just watched Chn masters TH - LCW, seems unless TH has been doing some serious stamina training since then, he may have difficulty playing against 2 or 3 tough opponents in a row. So I think TH does not have much chance winning the title; On the other hand, I think he has good chance eliminating either LD or LCW if they meet not too late, that is when TH still has the energy. So, LD or LCW should pray to get a favorable draw... :D

Taking Misbun's playing style into account, I think it is understandable that he favors TH... :D

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i'm sure LYB and likely all the pros know that too. It's isn't a new tactic from TH u know:cool:

16. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Actually, TH have interviewed by many local medias -- newspaper,tabloid, television due his participation for upcoming world meet. And his respond or statement described uncertainty.

I remembered All England story last March when TH finally withdrew from this tourney in last minute. Better for us to wait until next week...

17. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    i knew TH wont pull out... :D

18. badminto_expert

badminto_expert Regular Member

Consultant
    That one not his tactic. A lots peoples and alot of Coaches and head coaches very very worry to taufik included you.. he is the dengerous players.. He can beat any players if he want to do it.

So that's way: China coaches/head choaches and malaysia coaches put taufik name to the list of the dangerous player.

I like taufik play. Very good skills, backhand smash, Jump Smash, and net. I think nobody can do this 3 skills perfectly. Only Taufik Hidayat can do.

Therefore LYB and China Coach very headache if they players will meet taufik..Before they players meet taufik, so LYB and his team discuss very long to preparing the strategy. and Also LYB also ask his player to record video during taufik play...so they can predict and predict. But that one not fully successful.

And the other tactic: Ask the lineman to pro to malaysia players.. so malaysia players can win...that's way LD can beat LCW at home...hhaa LCW play at home better than outside

Remember that after Taufik Hidayat beat LD on the Asian Games 2006. Taufik handshake to LYB and I think he want to say..Your strategy not efective and your players not level with me. hhaaa and Taufik want to send message: Therefore later on you can't arrogant..

#18 badminto_expert, Aug 2, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  19. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Absolutely incorrect !
    1. LD is known for his high speed jumping smash.. TH is the most lethally player in backhand smash only..
    Defense is TH main weakness point compare v LCW/LD..
    2. LCW win IO & PO 07 proove & lost to defend his title in MO07 proove that his capability to win outside MAS !
    3. TH handshake with LYB is just a friendly gesture to shows to the CHN team that what is the meaning of "sportsmanship" !

20. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    Taufik is one of the most complete player, I think you should watch more of his games to appreciate his true skills.. his smashes are more powerful, faster & accurate compared to LD, however not as steep or unexpected as LD's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.