BAM say ‘no’ to Sairul’s participation

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by ixory, Aug 3, 2007.

1. ixory

ixory Regular Member

BAM say ‘no’ to Sairul’s participation
    the star online

SUBANG: The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) have decided not to endorse the participation of KLRC Bhd’s Sairul Amar Ayob in the men’s singles event of the World Championships.
    Yesterday, BAM president Datuk Nadzmi Mohd Salleh said they did not want to set a precedent by accepting a wild card entry from the Badminton World Federation (BWF) for Sairul.
    The BWF rule clearly states that a country can have a maximum of four players. And Malaysia already have four players in the meet – Lee Chong Wei, Lee Tsuen Seng (of KLRC Bhd) and the Hashim brothers from Nusa Mahsuri – Hafiz and Roslin.
    “We want to abide by the rule. I have received a request from the BWF to accept Sairul as a wild card entry for the world meet. But, by doing so, we are opening ourselves to new battlefronts,” said Nadzmi.
    “We do not want to be blamed by others for it. Some other countries may complain and some may even question why pick Sairul and not other higher ranked players.”
    There are two Malaysian players ranked higher than Sairul, the world number 28. They are Wong Choong Hann (15th) and Yeoh Kay Bin (24th). “It is best that we do not change the existing rule. If not, the whole system will be broken and there will only be more problems.”

2. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    hm...why not choose WCH then?o one will blame Malaysia, right? as WCH is highest player left....

3. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    I believe BAM do it right coz it will be fair to other countries also

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I pity Sairul, but BAM did the right thing.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    it's an invitation from bwf, what so unfair about that?

6. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    BAM should ask BWF to invite WCH...:cool::cool:

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

maybe the bwf is scare of an upset at the WC:D

8. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    For God's sake...WCH has shorter life.....:D:D BAM should give him a break...I think WCH may be too old for next WC ( 2009):(:(..trust me..there will be some withdrawals too.....see who is lucky to get those BYEs

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

u got me wrong, i would support WCH as a wild card. Maybe bwf has their reason to pick sairul and not wch;) actually, wch should be 1 of the 4 MAL MS roster, better hope than H. Hafiz.

10. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Yeah.....hm.....cant wait to be there for qtr finals....hopefully my favorites are still alive by then...;);)

11. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Mayb BWF want to payback Sairul due to wrong judgementon him of the doping charges against him last year I fink...:rolleyes:

12. huangkwokhau

sales & design

oh,,is that the reason??? wrong judgement from BWF? Sairul should have sued BWF for monetary....since no prize money in WC...

13. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    I fink Sairul just a bad luck last year as the 1st doping results on him shows positive while the 2nd shows negative..
    The different between those 2 results is take a couple of months.. So BWF banned him from any competitions during those periods..
    Sairul cant sued BWF coz it is the rules

14. hsengsping

hsengsping Regular Member

But what on earth is BWF up to? And why Sairul??

The principle (I don't have knowldge of minutiae of the rules) is that each country is allowed a max of 4 entrants per event. BWF should not have used wildcard system to upset this as this is an accepted way of "maximising the sharing of honours" and maintaining wider international interest in events (Baddie Olympics allow a max of 3 entrants if all 3 in top 4 ranking - much more onerous still, partly because field is smaller and partly I guess to widen participation). One can debate whether individuals' rights are trampled by this kind of restriction but this is an uncontroversial mechanism.

If they want to have a means of bypassing national associations (unfairly) victimising their own (deserving by ranking) players or to allow a major player newly returned from injury with no ranking or allow a player with country representation dispute to participate, then the rule should be changed to state that BWF wildcards if they accept invitation ranks first amongst the countries entitlements.

I suppose if the principle is that BWF w'card becomes BWF representative and supranational and that principle was applied in this invitation allowing 5th participant. Bit iffy rationale and begs the question why Sairul?

I remember that a Msian player was caught up in a performance drug dispute and was eventually exonerated. Was this "compensation"? If so, this is even worse rationale. No sports body should be soft on performance drugs and must set up a robust testing system. If the system is scrupulously applied, that's it; no hint of apology even if player was later exonerated. If any deficiency in the system is identified, the system must be fixed pronto and if a player is clearly prejudiced by the defective system this must be openly acknowledged and the remedy publicised (for system and player). TRANSPARENCY RULES.

15. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    That's all because this ridiculous rule on quotas. Even some ranked 80th in the world still can play, why not Sairul who's 28th in the world?

Even World number 2 cannot qualified for the so called "World Championship", I have never heard any world championship disallow the second best (by its own official ranking) in the world to compete! What a joke!!!

Some sports, like chess or heavy weight boxing, let only the top 2 fight to determine who's the best in the world. While badminton kicks out one of the top 2, and then determine who's the best, What a joke!!!

Never apply quotas to the seeds! Even they want more under developed counties in the game, please don't kick out the seeds. At least Chen Hong and Wong CH should be given wild cards to play.

16. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    CHN did has been given a chance to pick the top 4 players inside the Top 8 in WR for competing in this WC. Its CHN choice for omitting CH & I fink BWF can do nothing about it...

17. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Is there any expert or insider who knows why BWF gave Sairul Amar Ayob a wild card?

It is particular ridiculous.

3) It's ridiculous because Malaysia already has 4 players

2) It's more ridiculous because, Sairul's ranked just 7th within the Malaysia players, Wong CH ranked the 2nd in Malaysia and Yeoh KB the 5th haven't received any consideration for wild card yet. How come BWF picked Sairul?

1) It's the most ridiculous thing that Sairul was doping last year. So BWF decided to give Sairul wild card to promote doping?

18. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Sairul has been cleared from doping charges by BWF itself.. Mayb there is the reason behind for BWF to include him as a wild card entry for WC

19. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Thanks for the info. Maybe that's the reason. BWF messed up the sample? How to clear the positive doping test results?

If Sairul is clear, I guess since BWF has no money to compensate Sairul for his loss in reputation. A wild card at WC is a cheap solution at the cost of other players.

20. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

sorry for not reading the whole thread.

If Sairul passed the 2nd testing but failed the 1st, then it just means that he stopped doping during the interval, BWF owes him nothing. If BWF messed up the sample, then Sairul should get compensation from BWF.