Badminton/World Championships: Misbun warns Chong Wei against complacency

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by ixory, Aug 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ixory

ixory Regular Member

Badminton/World Championships: Misbun warns Chong Wei against complacency

By : K.M. Boopathy
    NST online

[​IMG]
    Chong Wei (left) has been warned by coach Misbun not to get complacent despite the seemingly easy draw.

NATIONAL singles coach Misbun Sidek has warned Lee Chong Wei not to take the World Championships draw for granted, although it looks.
    It could turn into a disaster if Chong Wei loses focus in his preparation.

Misbun said that players normally start spending too much time analysing the draw and thinking too far too soon and become complacent.

Chong Wei, the second seed, avoided playing top seed Lin Dan of China, dangerman Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia and China’s 2006 runner-up Bao Chunlai until the final, and this has increased his chances of securing at least a silver medal in the tournament at Putra Stadium on Aug 13-19.

However, Misbun was quick to point out that there are quality rivals such as Chong Wei’s second round opponent Sony Dwi Kuncoro of Indonesia and likely quarter-final rival Peter Gade Christensen of Denmark to worry about.
    "An easier draw has its disadvantages. Certain players tend to become complacent while some will think too much about the draw and this adds unnecessary pressure.

"Chong Wei must avoid both situations," said Misbun.

"The draw is just a guide on what we should expect but if a player fails to prepare well, then it becomes pointless.

"Players like Sony and Peter Gade can be dangerous and Chong Wei must prepare himself to play them first.

"Chong Wei has shown much improvement and he can do well. However, I don’t want him to think too early about the final."

Chong Wei himself is wary of the situation as things did not go his way in last year’s World Championships in Madrid.

Chong Wei, being the top seed, targeted a place in the final but was sent packing in the quarter-finals by Chunlai and this is probably the reason why Misbun is also treading with caution.

The record against Sony favours Chong Wei where he has won their last two meetings while he has beaten Christensen twice in three meetings.

However, Christensen has often played well here, winning the Malaysia Open in January for the second time, and Chong Wei certainly does not want to be stung in the quarter-finals again.

If Chong Wei survives, his probable semi-final opponent could either be China’s third seed Chen Jin or compatriot Chen Yu.

Chen Yu has beaten Chong Wei in their last three meetings and Misbun will also be preparing the player for that challenge but for now, he wants the Malaysian to focus on the preliminary hurdles.

2. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    Sony said he could probably withdraw this WC at the last minute because of his unfit condition and unrecovered injuries.

It is also possible that Sony is now playing Taufik-style game to perplex his opponents.

3. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    I personally hopes that Sony will compete in this WC.. He will one of the test for LCW in 3rd round. If he were to withdraw.. LCW doesn't have many competitive match ahead of the expecting QF showdown with PG

4. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Why couldn't they say Misbun 'advise' rather than 'warn'. It sounds so condescending.

5. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    Media hype i suppose . I WARN !!!!!! hahah

6. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Journalist's perception. Using 'warn' makes Misbun come across as an energetic coach. 'Advise' conjures up an image of old man with long beard. For qigong coach, ok. For badminton coach, better energetic.
    But you're not wrong. However, sometimes, LCW can be naughty and haughty so only a warning can be effective.

7. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    "Remind" sounds much better.

8. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    eh, remind, warn, advise, whatever words misbun use will not matter. what matters is that LCW get the message. :D

9. me-ow

me-ow Regular Member

sony still sure he show up in WC but his coach Hendrawan hasn't made up his mind. he'll decide whether sony will play or not in couple of day (start sunday). so it will be uncertain. but well soon know tomorow. That's the deadline for Sony. Coz Sony still feel pain when he bend his waist.

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Hope that sony can play well. He just injured his back recently.

11. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Not likely if he is still in pain unless he has a cortisone jab. I would ask him to rest --- life is cruel when you are affected as such.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Same situation happened to Roslin when he was world no.1 in the 2001 World Champs. It was big news when Roslin was sent packing in the 2nd round by a HK player.

Before that tournament, Misbun again had identified a few players capable of upsets. One of those was the HK player who beat Roslin.

13. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    LCW must face the tough hurdle only to win the World Champions.. Then Ppls will said he deserved to be.. Not by his opponents give away the match to him...

14. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    No way Hong Kong player will repeat the upset on Malaysia player, no way and over my dead body :mad:
    Cheung, wishful thinking :D

15. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    This time I give credit to Misbun, for everything he says here makes sense unlike the other time though.:cool:

Only unfortunately thing for him is that no matter how hard LCW plays, and how hard every Malaysia fan cheers... the MS final of this WC will be none other than:

WACHA VS PETER GADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

16. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Recent articles about Misbun-LCW reveal a great deal of fear at LD and lack of confidence to beat PG and TH. Are Misbun-LCW giving LD too much credit and indirectly giving up the fight too early ?

17. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    To publicly praised the strong opponents of LCW in the media is a psychology's war deploy by Misbun. He knows how to increased the weight on pressure for LCW's opponent & at the same time reduce LCW burden ..

18. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

And Roslin is no LCW either. Very yoyoish during his playing days, but better than his younger bro though.........

19. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

HK will not get an early Christmas. Ng Wei will retire soon if he does not win anything.

20. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I don't think it is fear...it is respect and rightly so for LD has been the #1 for such a long time and having won more tourneys than anyone in history (I hope I am correct in this)...TH same respect too for even if LCW won, the match is not easy, close and could easily swing in TH favour. PG, for being the top 3 or 4 players in the world for so long, must be playing for 8-10 years todate....all top players have no fear of any one, otherwise might as well pack up and retire. The way LCW plays recently shows his confidence, calm, focus, speed, fitness, etc... and not only did he mount a comeback after the Miao guy bugger off to Korea but I have not seen LCW play much better than now (give credit to Misbun)...nothing shows that LCW lacks confidence. The one element I would be concerned is whether LCW can handle the pressure if everyone peg him as the one to win, as the past shows he cannot deliver whether he put pressure on himself and he perform far better as underdog. Someone said it quite correctly, when fans predict MAS players will win, the result is quite the opposite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.