Need some recommendations

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Demonicfreak, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Demonicfreak

Demonicfreak Regular Member

Student
    Hi guys, i'm new to this forum and i nid some recommendations for a new racquet since i know NUTS about badminton racquets...

I've been using my yonex B660DF+ (probably so old no one will ever remember it) since 2003 and i certainly feel that it's not going together with my style of playing. I did not consider changing the racquet in the past since i was only playing some casual mathches with my friends once every week and occasionally participating in a regional kind of junior competition.

My friend told me that my racquet was relli heavy and not suitable for me so i've decided to change it so that i can play better...

I usually defend more than i smash and i love to do drop shots.. i hope u guys can recommend a cheap and reliable racquet but i'll probably play more often at the end of the year since my exams are coming already (awww!)

p.s My budget is arnd S$70-85(55.7925 USD),would be better if cheaper,and i wouldn't mind a second-hand racquet since im still a student and dont have much cash with me... :(

2. wocdam

wocdam Regular Member

Professional
    get something from Pro Ace. with your budget, should be able to get something good.

3. Demonicfreak

Student
    is pro ace good? i have the weird mentality that yonex owns all other brands.. but i tink i probably cant afford anything good from yonex with my small budget :(

4. Demonicfreak

Student
    would it be better if i get a yonex racquet? i've been using yonex racquets when i started the game till now and i trust them more but they ARE really overpriced.

5. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    For the price you mentioned... you can probably get a Yonex Carbonex racket.

6. Demonicfreak

Student
    do u know any carbonex models which fit my playing style? i know the carbonex series but i dont know anything about the models... anyways is it cheaper to get racquets in hong kong?

7. Demonicfreak

Student
    since most of carbonex models are really old, are they still good compared to all other yonex series?

8. Midget_Boy

Midget_Boy Regular Member

Student
    Only a few CAB models are old, I'd say over half of the racquets in the CAB line are new models, constantly going through new revisions like the other new racquets.

And yes, they're still good, some would say that a few particular models are even better than the new ones from the other lines (depending on player and play style).

If you think of it this way, Yonex wouldn't keep pumping out old models year after year if they didn't have a strong sales going on; it's because players like these old racquets and buy them that Yonex keeps producing them.

That being said, a lot of players buy CAB series racquets because of their traditional oval head (smaller sweetspot, but easier to generate power, and slightly more durable around the frame).
    Other than the CAB-20, the most popular CAB out there today is the CAB-30MS, it's extremely well-rounded and has great power, most will say it competes with the other YY giants out there today (MP-99, MP-100, AT-700/800/900, NS-8k/9k etc.).
    Introduced in 2004, the CAB-30MS is somewhat cheaper than its YY competitors, but many find it is very similar to an MP-99, only that it's slightly more headheavy and has an oval head.

That being said, CAB-30MS will probably still cost you double your price range if not more and is more of an intermediate-professional racquet, so go for the cheaper CAB alternatives if you want an oval headed racquet. Just pick a light one (all-graphite construction, frame and shaft), and go play on a court. I'd recommend CAB-8200, CAB-8400, or any other new light CAB models that you may find. CABs are great models, they're quite easy to adjust to, beginner or pro, they make great racquets.

9. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I think the Yonex MP88/80 would be a good start.

10. Omegamiko

Omegamiko Regular Member

I'm a student, doing webdesign and a badminton equ
    You can't get an MP88 for $55...

For that price range I think you can get a high quality Victor or Kason racket, like an X-Carbon 1.0 or an Artery Tec CLS 8800.

If Yonex is a must, any Cab or Iso is really quite good, and definitely accessible in that price range.