Koo and Tan has opportunity to become world No. 1

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by ixory, Aug 12, 2007.

1. ixory

ixory Regular Member

Koo and Tan has opportunity to become world No. 1
    thestar online

PETALING JAYA: National number one Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong have an extra drive to win the men's doubles world title.
    Success will see them claiming the status as the world number one for the first time. If they do so, the pair forged in October last year, will become the first men's pair to be ranked at number one in less than a year as partners.
    The 20-year-old Boon Heong said that they were determined to dislodge China's Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng as number one.
    “It will be great if we can achieve it by winning the world title for the first time. It will give us a place in the history books. We now have an extra motivation to go all out,” he said.
    The Malaysians, who are now ranked at number two, have certainly taken the world of badminton by storm.
    They are the first Malaysian pair to win gold in the Asian Games in 36 years in Doha last December and the first pair in 25 years to win claim the prestigious All-England title.
    They were the first qualifiers to go all the way to win an Open title at the Malaysian Open in January. The other titles they have bagged are the Swiss Open and Philippines Open titles.

GO KOO and TAN..plus LCW,:p..MALAYSIA BOLEH!!!!

2. ixory

ixory Regular Member

Best chance for Malaysian shuttlers to end 30-year drought

By RAJES PAUL
    the staronline

PETALING JAYA: A historic home glory beckons for Malaysia in the World Championships, which begin today at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil.
    Having had the best preparation ever and enjoying home ground advantage, hopes are high national number one Lee Chong Wei and the top men' pair of Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong to end Malaysia's 30-year wait for success in the series inaugurated in 1977.
    Malaysia have four men's singles players, the others are KLRC Bhd's Lee Tsuen Seng and Nusa Mahsuri's Hashim brothers Mohd Roslin and Mohd Hafiz.
    And three-time Malaysian Open champion Chong Wei will spearhead the Malaysian charge to come good on home soil – as he had done several times before.
    “This is the most important 'home' tournament for me. I am all ready – mentally and physically to go all the way to challenge for the title. The home support will drive us on to give our best,” said the second seed confidently.
    “I am ready to face the top players. As I have said before, I want to give Malaysia a perfect gift for the 50th year of Merdeka.”
    In Chong Wei's half of the draw are Dane Peter Gade-Christensen; Indonesians Sony Dwi Kuncoro and Simon Santoso; and China's Chen Jin and Chen Yu.
    In the top half are top seed Lin Dan of China, Indonesian Taufik Hidayat, Chinese Bao Chunlai, Dane Kenneth Jonassen and Hafiz. And all eyes will be on a mouth-watering quarter-final match between defending champion Lin Dan and Olympic champion Taufik, the winner in 2005.
    The chances of Malaysia seeing champions are brighter in the men's doubles.
    National coach Rexy Mainaky hopes to see all four pairs –Kien Keat-Boon Heong, Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah, Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif and Ong Soon Hock-Tan Bin Shen - in the semi-finals. But realistically, Kien Keat-Boon Heong are the ones with the best shots to win the title.
    The duo proved to be reliable when they ended long title droughts for the country in the Doha Asian Games (36 years) and in the All-England (25 years in men's doubles).
    Kien Keat-Boon Heong, who came out of a brief rut by winning the Philippines Open last month, are now back as one of the genuine title contenders together with top seeds Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng of China, Indonesians Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan, South Koreans Jung Jae-sung-Lee Yong-dae and the Indonesian-American combination of Candra Wijaya-Tony Gunawan.
    Said Rexy yesterday: “I gave a day off to the doubles players today. They deserved it as they had worked hard.
    “Some say that Malaysian players are not strong in the head to win a major tournament. But Koo and Tan have proven that wrong. I have faith on my players and now is their time to show that they can do it.”
    National chief coach Yap Kim Hock hoped that there would be personal breakthroughs for the Malaysians in the championships.
    “We want to see breakthroughs in all the departments. Although our hope is to see world champions, we will be happy if players in the team achieve their personal bests,” said Kim Hock.
    The best Malaysian efforts in the series were four runner-ups finishes. Three of them are in the men's doubles through Razif Sidek-Jalani Sidek (1987, Beijing), Cheah Soon Kit-Soo Beng Kiang (1993, Birmingham) and Soon Kit-Kim Hock (1997, Glasgow). Wong Choong Hann was the men's singles runner-up in 2003 in Birmingham.

3. kungfukid

kungfukid Regular Member

there is a chinese proverb saying "When hope is big, disappointment is even bigger". hope this proverb is wrong this time.

4. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

well, TBS/OSH have already lost tamely to the japanese pair, rexy can't be too happy about that ....

5. pisanggoreng

pisanggoreng Regular Member

dun worry.....KKK TBH is in their own league......players like TBS OSH cant be compared to them..........

M'laysia BuUUUUUUUhleh

6. kungfukid

kungfukid Regular Member

ya. he's sure mad bout it.
    no more all malaysians semi.

7. Felicia_txh

Felicia_txh Regular Member

Student
    Juz wait n c..but I noe they will do their best...GAMBATE!!

8. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Hopess TBS/OSH lost is a timely warning to all the MAS pair.. Especially KKK/TBH.. Over Confidence may be harm for them !

9. Felicia_txh

Felicia_txh Regular Member

Student
    I think they become more mature now n noe how to handle their emotion n confidence well..;)

10. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    After what happened to TBS/OSH, I would be so cocky to praise KKK/TBH...being humble is a virtue.;)

11. gidong

gidong Regular Member

i'll pray for KKK TBH .... amen ....

12. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Remmember their painful loss to the ENG pair in SC07. When everybody, includes the coach & themselves was so confidence for them to claim the point for MAS. They failed to deliver !
    They will be facing the same opponents on Wednesday. While many MAS fans keeps their faith on them, let's see how they prove us right this time..

13. darenong

darenong Regular Member

yay!

i think its gonna be ALL MALAYSIAN FINAL ! hhhehee :)

14. Terompah

Terompah Regular Member

Asst. Manager
    i dont want to put any target for malaysian player ...but i hope all player can reach their own target in this championship.

Malaysia Boleh...! :D

15. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Correction: After what happened to TBS/OSH, I would NOT be so cocky to praise KKK/TBH...being humble is a virtue

16. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

With CY/FYF being ousted by CTF/LWW, KKK/TBH will be world No.1 in the next Thursday as long as they win tonight's match.

17. TKG2609

TKG2609 Regular Member

dont forget indonesia pairs...

18. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    It wont do them any good to comes up on top in the WR..
    Looks at LCW, Roslin. MAS players certainly din have the mental strength to sustain when they reach at the peak.

19. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    At this moment, winning majors is definitely more important than being number one in the world. As I mentioned before, being world number one is meaningless without wining majors such as WC & OG.