Badminton World Championships: Bin Shen-Soon Hock see early exit

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by ixory, Aug 13, 2007.

1. ixory

ixory Regular Member

Badminton World Championships: Bin Shen-Soon Hock see early exit

thestar online

PETALING JAYA: Doubles head coach Rexy Mainaky's dream of seeing an all-Malaysian semi-finals line-up in the World Championships evaporated when Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock were shown the exit on the very first day of competition at the Stadium Putra in Bukit Jalil today.
    Bin Shen-Soon Hock, who were the last of the Malaysian men's doubles pair to qualify for the world meet, were sent packing 14-21, 8-21 by Japan's Tadashi Ohtsuka-Keita Masuda in 32 minutes.
    It was the second time Tadashi-Keita had handled a Malaysian pair a humiliating defeat. Tadashi-Keita had also beaten Lee Wan Wah-Choong Tan Fook in a group tie in the Sudirman Cup (mixed team world championships) in Seville in 2001 and Malaysia eventually lost the tie, a defeat which saw them failing to earn promotion to Division One.
    15th seeded Bin Shen-Soon Hock were the only Malaysian men's doubles to see action today and hopes were high on them to win their opening match.
    However, it all went wrong from the start. The first game was littered with mistakes and the Japanese pair took just 15 minutes to win the first game.
    Soon Hock was the one committing more mistakes in the second game and the Japanese pair, sensing the oppportunity, was targeting him and it wasn't long before they clinched victory.
    Bin Shen-Soon Hock made their World Championships debut in Anaheim two years ago but lost to Alvent Yulianto-Luluk Hadiyanto of Indonesia in the second round.
    Although they were considered the weakest of the four Malaysian pairs competing in the world meet, their early defeat was still unexpected and left Rexy with the tougher task of keeping team spirit up.
    Rexy, who took some time to console the players who remained in the locker room after their painful exit, said the pair was not communicating on court today.
    "They were giving easy points to the Japanese and I do not know what was wrong with Soon Hock. He said he has recovered from the shoulder injury but he was not playing his usual aggressive game.
    "I am still waiting to talk to him about what went wrong. But this should not be the excuse. From what I've seen, both were thinking their partner would cover for them.
    "The Japanese pair were only playing a simple game - just lob and lift the returns from Bin Shen-Soon Hock," said Rexy.
    However, the Indonesian remained optimistic the remaining pairs would have a good run in the coming days.
    Second seed and main hope Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah and Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Mohd Zakry Latif, received first round byes and will only see action on Wednesday.
    "My hope to see all four pairs in the semi-finals is over but I do not want to be a pessimist. We still have three pairs in contention."
    KLRC's Joanne Quay and her New Zealand mixed doubles partner Daniel Shirley were also shown the exit in the first round yesterday. Daniel-Joanne were beaten 9-21, 14-21 by 13th seeds Hendri Kurniawan Saputra-Li Yujia of Singapore.

wow, it's sad to see this pair being kicking out by Japan MD.Sigh.Hope this won't happen again to other MAS MD.:(

2. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    A weird thing i noticed here is , many BCers here claims that OSH is still carrying out the injury. But How come RExy said OSH told Rexy that he have been recovered from the shoulder injury.. So wats actually the truth in there??
    Is there any miscommunication between coach & the players??
    Or we are just finding excuses here for covering their shameful exit in the first round & being the 1st Seeded MD pair to be bundled out from this WC..

3. gidong

gidong Regular Member

whatever it is ... the TRUTH is Tan Bin Shen - Ong Soon Hock is OUT !!!! huhu

4. Darien

Darien Regular Member

IT
    one out....3 more to go....
    hahaha....

5. jeremyjuve

jeremyjuve Regular Member

Its sad that they're out but i think we should give credit to the japanese pair, they were just quite sensational in defense,our pair have no answer and the shuttlecock keeps coming back after almost every smash...
    Lets hope that the other 3 pairs will go further..

6. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Tan Bin Sheng was clearly not communicating with Ong Soon Hock during the game, he was not encouraging in any manner. Soon Hock could not recover from his bad play --- Rexy was right in saying they were depending on each other to play the shuttle but not working as a pair. Shocking, pathetic and absolute novice play -- on that play, they can't beat the women.

I think to prepare so hard and come out playing like they did is a bad sign and wonders what preparation they had. Their smashes were flat and powerless, their net plays hopeless and their co-ordination lacking. Don't think they will go very far from here. If I were Rexy, I would feel like the roof has just crashed on me.

7. darenong

darenong Regular Member

i was there during the game ... sitting in around 300 meters away and i can feel they r very low on confidence during the game (at the beginning they were like champs) ... no smashes, drops, drive, or lob can hurt the japanese duo .... the japanese really just played a simple game ... making sure the shuttlecock is at the opposite end and they will eventually earn a point from the malaysian's mistake !!!!! there were 100% support from crowd to the malaysian and 0 % to the japs but .... the malaysian just couldn't perform, period!
    id say ..... they r totally clueless on how to beat the japs besides just attacking blindly at Keita .... the japs notice this very early in the round and Keita were just 100% prepared !!!! in fact both the japs were very comfortable and smiling at every point earn and making silly faces at every point lost !!!!! it was indeed very disappointing ! to some it was somewhat very humiliating !!! crowd behind me shouted angrily " go back home n sleep ! " in cantonese ....... sigh

8. Mat Jie

Mat Jie Regular Member

that pays enough
    well TBS got another game today in XD partnering Ooi Yu Hang and they are up againts USA XD......hope he will do better this time

9. jesminekia

jesminekia Regular Member

really dissapointed of their bad performance.....as i know that they are really unconsistent....just like HH.....is hard for us (malaysia fans) to have a big big hope on them.....hope they can improve in future....jia you!!!!

10. Terompah

Terompah Regular Member

Asst. Manager
    coach also got frustrated with this player...if he say he not well to play better replace or even better not play for this tournament. i can accept if they lose with fight. but if lose without fight, i cannot accept it. The player should prepare early for big tournament like this, dont simply send player like "janji siap" only.

11. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

How sad, these pair should at least hang in there for few more rounds to exhaust the opponents.

12. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

The last thing MAS should ape is the LYB style.MAS champions better off winning without spoiler dependency.

13. markchan

markchan Regular Member

I dun think it is like aping LYB. Eventho it is an individual tournanment, we shud make use of teammates to "clear" the way either by creating some upsets or taking the opponents to 3 games , for the main player/pair to clinch the championship. It happens in athletics and also cycling....
    ..but having said that, I totally agree that TBS/OSH's performance was pathetic. No way they can "clear" anything, instead they got totally "cleared" by the japanese veterans.:D
    Was there a hint of over-confidence on the MAS pair's part? Let's hope the remaining pairs learn a lesson from this defeat. Attack from the start !!! Take no prisoners !! KILL !!! ( I mean the shuttle ...:D )

14. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Apparently, TBS/OSH did not leverage so called "home court advantage" !

15. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    What a disappointing performance. It's not only a loss to the MAS duo but also a huge letdown for MAS MD squad. Let's pray that the other 3 pairs will not be emotionally affected by the defeat and will stay focused.

#15 robin7, Aug 13, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  16. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Never seen spoiler strategy in tennis, is there? If LCW were to depend on his teammates , he would not have won anything.
    MAS fans can be dangerous. Sometimes a player makes a poor shot;a fan makes a negative comment within earshot, it makes things worse.And they cheer when things go well and go silent when not. Not necessarily home court advantage with this type of fans.Important for fans to support evenly (no point silently) throughout a match , in between points ,regardless of play.

17. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

I think they are not really mentally ready ...to play in this big event ..WC..the presure is too huge for them...but when is the best time?...if not at home...???? SAD...to TBS/OSH performance ......

18. pauline

pauline Regular Member

students
    That's what I thought,it's their 1st appearance in WC,which they have targeted since last year...haizz,they must be much more dissapointed than us..
    closed themselves in the locker room?? :crying::crying::crying:
    and OSH's shoulder injury still a mystery....

19. haifeng4ever

haifeng4ever Regular Member

Don't cry......I need to get you some sweets to cheer you up. I don't want this world to be drowned by your tears. (I still want to stay alive):D:D:D
    Cute OSH, if someone lock you up, try to find a way out like "Prison Break".:D:D:D
    Oops...out of topic. I promise this is the last time.

20. ksooi

ksooi Regular Member

Entreprenuer
    i dont think they took wht they practice into the game against the japanese.....but credit to the japanese for playin a gd match....

as for the msian fans...i think they should learn abit from the european fans...win or lose they still support their countryman/woman......shouldnt only be supporting the players only when they are winning.....everyone loves a winner but nobody wins everytime.....

on their day,this pair can beat anyone.....futhermore i think OSH was carrying an injury....it was a pity to pick up an injury so close to the WC....