mizuno wave gate II or an asics gel model?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by ayanpatwick, Aug 16, 2007.

1. ayanpatwick

ayanpatwick Regular Member

Im already planning buying mizuno wave gate 2, but still considering an asics gel. If it is for performance, durability, and comfortability, which is better among the two? By the way I'm not familiar with the asics gel model like the rocket, tactic, floater, etc... So I need help on which one would you guys recommend. tnx for the replies

2. roller

roller Regular Member

I used to own a pair of mizuno wave gate and asics rocket until they were worn out recently. Both models are definitely value for money imho!

3. ericbaquiran

ericbaquiran Regular Member

The Asics Gel Rocket has the gel system at the forefoot only while the Gel Tactic has gel at the heel *and* at the forefoot. The Tactic feels quicker/lighter in spite of this but I haven't done any objective measurement to verify (I own both the Rocket and Tactic, btw). Comfort/fit-wise, they're the same initially but the gel heel of the Tactic makes a noticeable difference after a couple of hours of play.

4. therock

therock Regular Member

asics gel

go for asics gel. I have the wave gate 1 and 2 but after buying a pair of asics, gave both pairs of mizuno to my son. Take advantage of the asics gel on sale right now:D

5. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    The Tactic is more expensive than the Rocket here in Singapore. How about the Philippines?

6. ericbaquiran

Sealman,

Yeah, it's the same case in the Philippines. Gel Rocket regular price is PhP3,400 while Gel Tactic new model regular price is PhP5,700(!).

There's an ongoing sale though so the Rocket can be found for as low as PhP1,700. Older Tactic model goes for PhP2,200 (50% off) while the new model is on sale at PhP3,700

7. Type 100

Type 100 Regular Member

Better for you to try out both models and do some footwork movements in the shop before buying. Shoe fit is subjective. No one model is universally better than another.

I will posit this: my red Wave Gate IIs are holding up very well to my abuse. I've abraded some of the leather upper on the left shoe's inner edge, as well as the sole's front edge, but it's nowhere as bad as what I used to get from Yonex. Durability is no problem at all.

8. awatz

awatz Regular Member

Where is this sale?

9. ericbaquiran

Toby's Park Square 1 is where I saw the Asics Gel Rocket/old Gel Tactic at up to 50% off. Other Toby's branches (Glorietta 2) also had different Asics shoes on sale but with different models available and different discounts (usually up to 30-40% only).

Badminton Hub Greenbelt 3 also has several Asics models on sale (up to 30-40% off). Planet Sports also has some Asics shoes on sale.

10. Barca

Barca Regular Member

I have both the Mizuno Wavegate and Asics Gel Rocket. They are good shoes. Comparing the both, the Asics does not have so much grip. But it is lighter than the Mizuno. Their upper are definitely more durable than Yonex for sure.

11. Lefty23

Lefty23 Regular Member

Professional
    I have a pair each of Mizuno Wave Angle and a Asics Gel Fibre models. I like the cushioning of the Asics, though the grip of the Mizuno can't be beat. Also, the Mizunos feel more sleek while the Asics are a little chunky.

12. therock

therock Regular Member

I have the asics gel fibre and really like the fit and comfort. Been using it for a year now and it is still in good condition. Bought recently a gel tactic at Olympic gold at galleria ortigas 50% off. Will have to break it in first to get the same comfort as my used Gel fibre.

13. Lefty23

Lefty23 Regular Member

Professional
    This thread helped convince me to pull out my dusty pair of Asics and clean the soles with a toothbrush and dish detergent.

I want to use it later! :)

14. therock

therock Regular Member

asics gel

use white toothpaste instead of detergent to maintain its whitish color. Using detergent will cause it to become yellowish in time:)

15. Lefty23

Lefty23 Regular Member

Professional
    Nah, I only used the detergent for the soles. Too lazy to clean the uppers.

16. awatz

awatz Regular Member

I went to Tobys Park Square and Gateway this morning to find a replacement for my Gel rocket. I tried out the Asics shoes (Fibre and Tactic). I didnt like the cushioning. I bought a Mizuno Wave Lightning 3 instead. They feel really good on my feet. I went with the Red model because it is P500 cheaper than the Blue one.

17. ayanpatwick

Guys thanks for replying in my thread! :)

I went to Olympic Gold Trinoma and the asics only have a 10% sale.

I didn't even know what kind of asics gel it is. Even the salesmen didn't know.

But I've tried it and it's fine with me. I'll be buying it this friday unless I can

find a better sale than this. The original price is around 3500 php and when

discounted around 3100 php.

Where can I find a much better sale than this?

18. ericbaquiran

Get the model # (should be on the box or under the tongue of the shoe, for example, Gel Rocket has model BN-604). Make a few calls to the Toby's branches around Metro Manila and hope they have the model/size in stock.

19. Lefty23

Lefty23 Regular Member

Professional
    Planet Sports everywhere

20. ayanpatwick

there are no asics indoor gel shoes on planet sports trinoma...

maybe i'll be going to mall of asia tomorrow and canvass for a better price on asics gel... maybe i'll try gel tactic.

@ericbaquiran

is there still a 50% sale at toby's park square?