Why use feathers?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by CoolMonster1, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoolMonster1

CoolMonster1 Regular Member

Student
    This may anger a few people, but seriously why do people want there feather shuttles so much. It is awful wasteful dont you think. Think of all that wasted material(people might argue that its not "wasted" but well people do go through an awful lot of them). What if the game were played with plastic there would be a lot less waste, people would save money, and the plastic ones would probably eventually be designed to fly as good as the feathered ones. Also I bet the makers of the shuttles love how people have to keep buying them. Dont me to anger anyone just presenting another opinion and topic of conversation.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if there is a plastic that flies just like feather and it is cost effective, i will switch over, no question asked.

meanwhile, i will keep using feather.

3. dunker

dunker Regular Member

Veterinarian
    I think feather shuttles are biodegradable, not so with plastics.

4. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    what about the oil problem in the world? if we use plastics, we'll eventually run out. mean while, keep growing the geese

5. K-MusclePower

K-MusclePower Regular Member

feather feels better, flies better, sounds better and looks better. paying a little bit more for better quality is worth it.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Ask why the NBA players using the real leather ball, but really hate the microfiber balls? Because the leather ball simply feels better.

7. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    Forget about flight and feel for a minute...

I think the world is using less and less plastic bags, so I don't understand why we want to start promoting the use of plastic shuttles.

Geese aren't killed just for the feathers. Unless human-beings don't kill geese anymore, it would be a bigger waste if the feathers aren't used to make shuttles.

May be we all should start finding a material that flies and feels similar to goose feather shuttles, and yet more environmentally and no need to kill lives. We are yet to find one...

#7 winstonchan, Aug 17, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  8. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Durability is the only issue for feather. It is a big issue for beginner only. They do not hit the shuttle right and kill the bird. Give a plastic shuttle to Sir DinkALot and see where it lands. He will just dink it and it will fly out of back court every time. LB said it the best.

9. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    well..
    I prefer leather sofa instead of plastic sofa :)
    I prefer a sleeping bag stuffed with goose feather, istead of plastic feathers..

Hopefully scienitific progress will make it possible to artificially make a shuttle as good as a feather one (flight-wise).. But It hasn't been made yet.. And the plastic shuttles you can buy today are a piece of .....
    they get to "back-"heavy and their trajectory is way to flat, so they either need to be ridicilously slow (not to go out) or to fast (making smashes way to speedy, as the plastics folds due to the air-resistance)..

I would like nothing more than a durable, inexpensive, good, syntetic shuttle... But there have been none produced yet..

The only thing we have is Nylons that are 10+ years old design from Yonex (and I don't think they are putting alot of resource into creating a less expensive alternative, no business insentive, really).

Cheers,
    Twobeer

silentheart likes this.
  10. BornReady

BornReady Regular Member

Feather shuttles make good business for Yonex and all the rest of shuttles makers. So, they may not be looking for alternatives - someone else should though!

There is no doubt that they are expensive and seem wasteful; if I play 3 times a week, average 3 games each day, I am looking at 3 x 3 x 52 weeks = 468 shuttles, At avg $1.5 = US$702 per year. That's not a small chunk of change.

On the other hand, the alternative is the nylon shuttles which is not really usable for most players except the beginners = so yes, until someone invent a synthetic shuttles that fly like the real thing, people will still use the feather.

btw, nylon shuttles also breaks - albeit not as bad as the real one.

#10 BornReady, Aug 17, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Durability is an issue for plastic shuttles as well. You can badly damage a plastic shuttle after 2-3 comeptitive smashing games as well. The cork will falling off, or mostly the skirt will be teared. Of course, with a broken skirt, the shuttle is still "playable", if more like recreational level, but it will fly like a cannon ball (well, the brand new ones like a bullet anyway).

For feather, the time period between "barely playable" to "not playable" is much shorter, theremore, it looks like plastics last longer. However, the best "playable period" is actually not much difference, but the performance (feeling) has a big gap.

So, if you want to have the fun, feather is the way to go.

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    No doubt shuttles are expensive, however, there are other factors in the formula can make you save a bit.

1. Steaming the shuttles, and extend the life span.

2. Share the shuttles cost among the group, as it's not right a particular individual is the only one to supply shuttles.

3. Group ordering shuttles, which usually qualify for big discount and save shipping and transaction fees.

4. Take care of your rackets, shoes and other gears. If you buy 1 less expensive racket per years, you save at least $150-200. ;)

13. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    But the player you play against would probably owe you 351 USD :p , If you only play singles that is...

/Twobeer

14. silentheart

You really think so? FYI, Shuttle is a charity business for Yonex. Yonex can not compete with other shuttle manufactures on the price. The cost/shuttle for Yonex is too high. Also Yonex is not selling enough shuttle also. When is the last time you see local club use AS40 or AS50 during regular play? For the price of AS10 + $1USD, you can buy RSL torney #1 on sale. All YY care is to make sure they have the best shuttle for the sponsered events.

15. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Last time I checked Yonex had a list-price of 68 USD / tube !!! for AS-50 on the Swedish market.. Guess how many tubes they sell, at that pricepoint?? And if that is charity.. I'm Donald duck ;)

/Twobeer

16. fivestars

fivestars Regular Member

The areodynamic nature of feather is superior to plastic. This difference can be mostly seen in the clockwise and anti-clockwise spin in the in air and net tumbles. The control and consistency of feather are also better with feather. Unless nano-technology or something similar is used, it would be difficult to mimic the areodynamics of a feather shuttle in flight.

17. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

play more badminton and you'll feel the difference. although plastic has some advantage espc when you're tired. u use less power.

lots of ppl are stingy when it come to feather ( I know A LOT of ppl in my club). they use feather but reluctant to provide/share the cost. and to be polite I just pluck out one and use mine ( ok, they're level is above me, so the feather is kinda a bribe so they will play with me). but look around and u'll find a deal.

18. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    interestingly, when i went to China, i played at a local club. one of the guys i saw was taking old shuttles, taking them apart and getting all the good feathers. then, he'd find enough to put together for a almost brand new shuttle. for example, i know that many shuttles are not used if one feather is snapped off completely, but the others are still fine. he'd pull that one out, and find another to put back in. bingo. great recycling.

he made prob 1 shuttle every 45 seconds. i've tried. and average one every 10 minutes :D the shuttles actually fly fine, and are great for club play.

19. silentheart

0 tube. They are making $0 because they are selling 0 tube. The truth is, shuttle profit is very small portion of Yonex badminton business. That is what I mean. Yonex really does not sell enough shuttles to make a difference.It also pay extra for the feathers too because Yonex does not buy enough.

20. Demonicfreak

Demonicfreak Regular Member

Student
    i love the sound produced when i smash a feather shuttle..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.