World Championships 2007 - Aug 18 - Semifinals

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by badMania, Aug 17, 2007.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

MEN'S SINGLES
    Lin Dan vs Bao Chunlai -- team order or not...Lin Dan will take it.

Chen Yu vs Sony Dwi Kuncoro -- once again, if Sony are to play like the previous 2 matches, he will beat Chen Yu in straight sets.

MEN'S DOUBLES
    Choong Tan Fook/Lee Wan Wah vs Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan -- the MAS pair is both physically and emotionally drained after today's match, while the INA pair is fresh and full of confidence. Home support will further add pressure to the veteran MAS pair. The INA pair to take it in 3 sets.

Jung Jae Sung/Lee Yong Dae vs Shuichi Sakamoto/Shintaro Ikeda -- the Japanese pair has become a revelation in this tournament, beating the higher seeds like Luluk/Alvent and Koo/Tan. However, I think Jung/Lee will learn the lesson and attack from the beginning.

WOMEN'S SINGLES
    Zhang Ning vs Wang Chen -- Zhang to win!

Lu Lan vs Zhu Lin -- battle of the youngsters....and the more consistent Zhu to win!

WOMEN'S DOUBLES
    Wei Yili/Zhang Yawen vs Yang Wei/Zhang Jiewen -- the veteran is reformed after a brief split and they have a chance of winning more honors here.

Kumiko Ogura/Reiko Shiota vs Gao Ling/Huang Sui -- the Chinese pair to prevail over the cuties!

MIXED DOUBLES
    Zheng Bo/Gao Ling vs Flandy Limpele/Vita Marissa -- it's high time Zheng/Gao get beaten again and after today's impressive performance against Robertson/Emms, Flandy/Vita certainly stands a chance. They were just a whisker away from victory in the Sudirman Cup Final.

Xie Zhongbo/Zhang Yawen vs Nova Widianto/Lilyana Natsir -- no tough opponents yet for Nova/Butet so far, while Xie/Zhang have beaten Clark/Kellogg comfortably today. I hope the INA pair can win this one.

2. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    really want this wonderwoman/supergirl to win these matches...:D:D:D

3. Darth Andrianus

Darth Andrianus Regular Member

Student
    Oh my Lord, Sony is in the Semis of the World Championships, who would have thought? Go INA!

4. apontoh

apontoh Regular Member

remember that Sony was a Bronze Medallist in Athens 2004 also...he's returning to his previous glory...

5. z3048018

z3048018 Regular Member

MS

LD over BCL
    SDK over CY (though i don't mind him winning :D)

WS

ZL to beat LL
    ZN over WC (i hope)

MD
    this is a tough one.

LWW/CTF will draw with MK/HS (aarrrghhh, i can't decide. i like them both :crying:)
    although a JPN pair in the finals will be magnificent, i just can't see them past JJS/LYD

WD

upset here RS/KO will overcome HS/GL :eek::eek::p though i don't mind HS/GL in the finals
    YW/ZJW (thank God she is back with her old partner) to beat YWL/ZYW

XD
    hoping for an all CHN affair

6. markchan

markchan Regular Member

Quote:-"although a JPN pair in the finals will be magnificent, i just can't see them past JJS/LYD"

.........I also couldnt see them pass Lulk/Alvent or Koo/Tan. :D

7. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

LD 65:35 BCL. (Basically BCL has no idea how to beat LD).
    SDK 52:48 CY (Sony is faster, while CY is stronger. But seems Sony is in fabulous form now. Should be a good match to watch anyway.)

WS

ZL vs. LL (Dont care).
    WC 49:51 ZN (I wich WC can take the title).

MD
    LWW/CTF 45:55 MK/HS (With CY/FHF and KKK/TBH out, MK/HS must be determine to take the title. While LWW/CTF may still enjoying the victory yesterday.)

Japan pair 50:50 JJS/LYD (First, I support PJB. Second, PJB must know inside out of Korean badminton secrets)

WD

Dont quite care, but hope YW/ZJW can take the title.

XD

Limpele/Vita 50:50 GL/ZB (Limpele is a better player than ZB while GL is much better than Vita. But GL may be a bit tired now. )

Widianto/Natsir 50:50 XZB/ZYW

8. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo

It seems nothing can stop Xie ZB cruising to the title. He's in super form now. Gao L/Zheng B was tamed easily by XZB/ZYW in training.

9. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Banzai kawaii shoujo desu yo!

10. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

Notes from QF matches:

China, Indonesia and Japan did very well today. Korea had mix results. So did Malaysia. Choong/Tan won after being in behind twice. But KKK/TBH lost despite of home crowd supports and they save 2 match points in the third set and they even managed to have 2 match points but lost 23-25 at last.

11. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

SF prediction:

(Prediction based on both opponents play their best game)

MS:

Only one suprises player here: Sonny DK. No one probably not even his coach can predict he will reach SF when he got to meet a very in form LCW in R16. But he play his best game to defeat LCW and Peter Gade in QF. Now, all that matter is can Sonny keep his level of play consistently or his impressive form is just in this tournaments only.

Meanwhile, China made their quota by advancing all possible 3 players into SF despite CJ lost. Anup S play very well advancing to QF. Lets hope he can maintain his level of play.

Malaysia players kind hit of slum all of them. They did not got even one player in QF from 4 players. Denmark players always reliable by reaching 2 QF but not higher than that.

Lin Dan VS Bao Chun Lai.

BCL probably hope in QF match yesterday that LD lost to Anup in QF but that did not happen. So LD will win and go to the final. Maybe in 2 or if he lost concentration in 3 sets.

Chen Yu VS Sonny DK

Logically, I predict Chen Yu will win cause Sonny already play his best when he won LCW and Peter Gade. But my heart said Sonny will win in 3 tough sets.

WS:

China as reliable as ever, send 3 players into SF. Yes, XXF lost so easily in R16, but Zhu Lin managed to win over WMC to create a battle with Lu Lan. And of course the other SF is also from China, Wang Chen.

For WMC, lets wait and see how well she do in next 4-5 events. If she can steadily beat China players, that mean she can be consider the elite WS players which until now only be filled with China and ex China players.

Zhang Ning VS Wang Chen

2 of the old China players and maybe now the best will fight each other. ZN will win just because this is her best chance considering XXF her nemesis already booted out. ZN win in 3 sets.

Lu Lan VS Zhu Lin

From their previous records, ZL had more better records. So ZL win in 2 sets.

12. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

MD:

Probably the most unpredicted category. 2 of the top MD Cai/Fu and Koo/Tan who everybody predict will meet in final, cannot take the pressure and lost in QF. Shocking!

Indonesia had good result this year. Kido/Setiawan play at their usual level and managed to reach SF. Luluk/Alvent lost to very improved Japan pair. Joko/Hendra also lost very tight to very improved China pair.

China had mix results. Cai/Fu played nervously in QF specially end of the game while they are leading twice. Guo/Xie improved so much but still cannot crack SF.

Malaysia also had mix results. Choong/Lee play brilliantly and moved to SF. But they are old. Still hard to know if they can keep their level of play till next year Olympic. The bad news come from their young pairs. TBH/KKK lost in QF. And other two pairs lost even before reached R16. TBH/KKK had to improved their level of play cause now lots of other countries already learned their style of play and know how to deal with them now.

Korea had good result. JJS/LYD back to their best form and reach SF by defeating Denmark and China pairs.

Denmark had the worst results. JE/MLH are struggling this year, maybe cause their age. JR/LP even worse, lost to Russian pair. They really need quick change now.

Japan is the most improved! Their 2 pairs are very fast in net play now! Othsuka/Masuda barely lost to Markis/Hendra. Sakamoto/Ikeda even better by beating Luluk/Alvent and TBH/KKK and reach SF. Maybe this is the first time Japan MD in WCS semi final.

CTF/LWW VS Markis/Hendra

Indonesia pair if they can play their usual level despite Malaysia huge crowds, they will win in 2 tight sets. But if not, Malaysia old pair will win.

JJS/LYD VS Ikeda/Sakamoto

Japan pair will made another surprise by reaching the final in 3 sets.

WD:

The most predicted category.
    No new star here. China as always managed to burying all their opponents and had 3 pairs in SF.

Although Japan pair managed to reach SF, but it due to their so lucky draw cause Du/Yu retired. They even did not had to meet any top pairs in QF.

WYL/ZYW VS YW/ZJW

Both had same big chance to win.

Ogura/Shiota VS Gao Ling/Huang Sui

GL/HS will win.

XD:

Suprisingly, there is not a surprise in here also.

Indonesia managed to made better results than last year by having 2 pairs in SF. Nova/Butet play not quite good but enough to win. Flandi/Vita play real good.

China also had very good results by placing 2 pairs in SF.

Meanwhile Korea did quite good by have a pair in QF. Denmark not very well by failing even one place in QF. Poland did very well by having one pair in QF. England did poorly by losing 2 pair in QF. Not that they lost in the QF but how they lost.

Both Nathan/Emms and Anthony/Donna lost quite tamely in QF.

GL/ZB VS Flandi/Vita:

Very hard to predict. It can go both way. But I pick GL/ZB in 3 tight sets cause of their consistency of play.

Nova/Butet VS ZYW/XZB

Also can go both way. Very tough match. Nova/Butet to win in 3 closed sets.

13. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

CY is not physically strong. This guy has fat only no muscle. CY is probably the weakest physically among all CHN male players. I think Lin Dan's attack much stronger.

14. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    No muscle? How does he even wake up from his bed? ;)

15. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    But today CY played so fast and attacked Susilo...susilo has no answer to CY tonight

16. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

yeah, CY is faster and skillful. The word strong should belong to Lin Dan.

17. chity hour

chity hour Regular Member

this year world championship really make me shock!
    first, a few underdog show a really good performance
    sridhar beat taufik n hafiz
    mew choo beat xie xing fang
    lee chong wei out
    cai yun-fu hai feng out
    sony in semi final
    the japanese beat my koo-tan pair
    not really sure who's gonna win it
    (it seem like lin dan can rule the men single)

18. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

You are wrong. CY said in his blog that he can benchpress 100kg and he is always proud of that. Furthermore LYB once mentioned that 100kg is kind of the best benchpress in Team China now (supporting his claim that his players are not strong enough yet, he himself used to benchpress 130kg).

My impression is that CY is really slow in turning around. That's how ppl like Boonsak and LD beat him using cross-court smashes.

19. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Join the vote in the other thread... just for fun...

Uhm guys... you guys sound like INA fans... [if you haven't done so already] please join the vote between Kido-Hendra vs. CTF-LWW in the other thread... We need more INA support there... :p :D

20. Just4Kicks

Just4Kicks Regular Member

Chef
    I am hoping ZJW/YW will beat WY/ZYW and they meet GL/HS in the finals... it would be a classic match. Though i looove GAO LING..i hope ZJW/YW wins the title... she needs to prove something to LYB.

WC and ZN quite tricky... depends who's more consistent. WC can create an upset here ( which i hope not...ZN was denied the title twice)

I'll also be rooting for LWW-CTF pair just so to make ZJW extra happy.

Gao Ling and Zheng Bo too over Flandy and Vita, would be nice to see them against Nova and Lilyana ( provided they beat Zhie and ZYW first).