R.S.L. Shuttlecocks

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by jenny, Mar 21, 2002.

1. jenny

jenny Guest

HI everyone:
    I am currently using this reinforced shuttlecocks silver feather. I in fact have no idea about this brand and would love to know some more about it regarding the grades, the site ,and its quality comparing to the other birdies. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    RSL is a well known brand who has been around for over 70 years. RSL stands for Reinforced Shuttlecocks Ltd. They have a patent for the process used. I haven't seen them around in Vancouver as the popular brands are Yonex and Victor but I've heard good things about RSL. Have you checked out the product review section to see what kind of comments/reviews were submitted?

3. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    RSL Classic is excellent which is the best shuttlecocks from RSL, and it is comparable to other leading brands as well. As far as I remember, RSL silver is the 3rd class shuttlecocks from RSL - in my opinion, it is ok but gives no surprise.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    RSL used to be THE shuttle used in the UK.

Silver is pretty decent. I definately don't like the 'Ace'.

5. WYM

WYM Guest

I used to play with RSL Gold for quite a while. However we found that it's consistency to be of suspect. Every now and then, we get a few dozens (in a batch) that dosen't fly quite well or just kaput after a few points. Normally it is like one of the feathers that go. Fortunately we can exchange the tubes in the same batch for another lot, most of the time.
    Anyway due to the inconsistency we have switched to Protech.

6. bahluga

bahluga Guest

switched to aeroplane. RSL was inconsistent

7. Pete

Pete Guest

I tried the AEROPLANE G1101 and found its durability and flight characteristic to be above average: 6 points out of 10. The price is about HKD 74.00 to HKD 75.00. If anyone has tested the SG1101 and EG1101 please let me know as they are higher grade shuttlecocks.

8. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    RSL Tourney Classic

We use RSL Tourney Classic. It's the best - the most consistent, durable and playable shuttle I've ever played with. The Ace is terrible, though, but that's a practice grade and you get what you pay for I guess.

9. jenny

jenny Guest

Pete:
    not yet . i am going to check it out then .. Thanks .

10. jenny

jenny Guest

Cheung:
    Yes i know there are different grades, have u tried the best one yet ? and where did u get it ?

11. jenny

jenny Guest

To everyone :
    Thanks for all you guys of your helpfullness.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Just to elaborate, RSL classic used to be the most widely used in UK in the region I lived. Then a shuttle brand called SnowPeak came in with much better quality shuttles.
    The RSL shuttles weren't as durable or as consistent as the snowpeak's (as other people have indicated). Bear in mind shuttles are more expensive in UK.

In HK, the shuttles are cheaper and there's not much difference between the silver and higher priced RSL, well not that it makes so much difference to many people's play (IMO). Even switching around different brands of shuttles is pretty common in HK. So I just have the attitude of 'give me a fairly decent shuttle and I'll play on'. It keeps me on my toes when adapting to different conditions.

In terms of shuttle durability, this is less important in HK than the UK because the unit cost is cheaper. Mind you, we still keep the old shuttles for training routines.

And just for other readers, I've never seen a plastic shuttle used in an indoorcourt in HK. Must be over 99.99% of shuttles used are feather variety.

13. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Just bought a tube of R.S.L. #6 Tourney shuttles from Tad's in Vancouver. Retailing at CAN$22. Any players with R.S.L. experience, what are your opinions of this particular model?

14. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Tad's price is too expensive. I will try to get a box the next time I am in HK.

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Well, there's not much choice here in Van, is there? Had a browse of Tad's shelves... I saw a few tubes of R.S.L Tourney #5 and #6, Yonex AS-20s and one AS-50 as well as tubes of crappy Victor Silver and Winex Tournament.

16. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    There is another alternative source. Just ask me the next time we meet ;)

17. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Cool! Peter! Will you be coming out this Saturday at VRC? I will try to make it, although might be abit iffy as my cousin will be visiting from Singapore:(.

18. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yeah, I will be there :)

19. carlol

carlol Regular Member

entreprenuer
    im using rsl silver feather now. its not as good as the rsl tourney classic, but i find it better than aeroplane.

Its cost, durabilty, and quality of flight are all just right for me and my playmates.

Aeroplane (green) used to be very good, but the last few batches i've seen have been crap (if you pardon my french)... we keep buying a tube every now and then to see if their quality has gone back to previous levels, but its been disappointing so far.

RSL silver feather is a good buy if you ask me. here, its approximately USD 10.00

:D