Anyone use eye protection?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by UkPlayer, Mar 21, 2002.

1. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I'm thinking about it

2. onth

onth Guest

it looks so weird wearing goggle for badminton. just a thought.

3. Don

Don Regular Member

I do, to cut down glare. Leader makes a good light pair and I think you can even change the lenses. It takes a little time to get use to it, but once you are, you can go with or without goggles.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    most of the time, badminton is pretty "eye-safe", it does take a little bit of time for the birdie to get to you, and almost all of the time, you should be facing where the birdie is coming from.

with one exception. the lady in mixed doubles is usually dashing around in front while being very close to the net, she is more prone to getting hit.

in fact, just last night, my partner got hit, it was lucky coz she got hit on the eye-brow, any lower will be dangerous.

i have been a couple of girls wearing eye protection for mixed doubles, and i think if they are comfortable with it, it is a wise thing to do.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    oh, one more thing, my coach told us this: when playing doubles, <b>never</b> turn around and look at what your partner is doing. you will never know if he would be hitting a erronous drive and hit your right in the face/eye. my coach was in some national team once and see one person got hit that way.

6. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I've been playing 20 years and I haven't taken a hit
    Thats why I'm starting to worry!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Yes. I actually wear glasses but decided to get a pair of sports googles with my prescription. It takes a bit of getting used to but sure have prevented a few shots to the face.

A player at our club got hit in the eye area once and the next day, he was sporting a real good shiner. Better be safe than sorry but Kwun is right in that it is not often that you will get hit in the face but then again, accidents do happen.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    UKP, accidents do happen, that's why they are "accident". :)

it is really your personal judgement call, i think most people will take the (abeit really small) risk and not wear glasses. but it sounds like you are playing at a very competitive level, your opponent/partner are probably more lethal than us weekend warriors. :)

9. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Kwun, I think I'm more likely

to get hit by an inexperienced player or while playing with an inexperienced player on my side.
    Firstly there's an unspoken rule, even in tournaments amongst experienced players that you avoid the big hit at the net.
    Ok some players may shake their opponents up with a dig, but I don't find that's the norm. And anyway, you know when that's coming so you can get the racket up in time or turn your face away.
    However, I have seen inexperienced players with a hovering net shot pull their racket back and go for the full shot just because they think it's impressive.
    I've got to say I get a bit more nervy about it when I play someone who doesn't seem to know that rule.
    Secondly if you play with someone inexperienced on your side and you're at the net, sometimes an inexperienced partner will put in a drop that hovers just above the net for the opponent to kill, and that really does leave you open for a whack in the face.

The time I'm most likely to get hit, and this is the main reason why I'm thinking of getting them is when I'm training. Because the envelope is being pushed you can get caught off guard. There's a training drill that I do where I leave the shuttle hovering for my training partner to kill at the net and it gets pretty hairy sometimes.

Otherwise it's pretty incident free.
    UKP :)

10. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Re: Kwun, I think I'm more likely

UKP,
    If you want, I probably can get you a hocket helmet with face shield for those drills that you do with your partner... :D :D

I've learned throughout my years that it is better to be safe than sorry. When I was playing basketball, I got whacked and scratched by others on my arms and face! I didn't need glasses back then but boy, was I tempted to start wearing elbow pads. ;)

11. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic

lol :D I like the idea of a hockey helmet. I could get right in the thick of the action.

I've always leant towards the cautious side after taking my BMX up a quarter pipe at 10 years and going over the top for a 20 ft drop without any pads/helmet! :D

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker

UKP, statistically, your turn is coming up soon!

The only person I've seen wearing protective eye shield in badminton was somebody who came back from college in US.

Definately agree with that don't look back rule but looking back on your partner's backhand side is proably going to incur less risk than the forehand side.

13. Danny Boy

Danny Boy Regular Member

Management consultant

Four week ago, I got hit by my partner’s racket on the eyebrow and ended with an inch cut and some blood down my face. I was very lucky. Now I am wearing goggles. After this episode, I am playing a much slower game now. Every time I get near the net, or close to anyone, I get very nervous.

The matter of fact, I got hit many years ago while playing racket ball on the same eyebrow. Who says lightning wouldn’t hit twice in the same spot.

Better be safe than sorry. Best luck.

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I do occassionally turn my head to look back to see where is my partner. The angle of turn, duration, and timing of looking back is critical

15. viver

viver Regular Member

Playing 20 years without a hit, that must be a record. Going back in time, when playing doubles against my coach, I got at least a hit in my forehead in every game. Coach's courtesy.

Playing here in Canada already saw few people getting hit in the face. Worst case was a lady, over 70 playing XD against MD. Both opponents apparently in their 30's. She got smacked just below the eye, when she was in the net. Don't know how to call that, but do you really to win so badly, above all if one of your opponents is a lady over 70 years old??

As for myself, I wear prescription glasses. I have the lenses in shatter proof plastic. It cost a little bit more but safety first.

16. Jason

Jason Guest

i just wear my glasses ^^

17. RL

RL Guest

I personally wear Oakley Pro M's with clear polycarbinate lens. Their a lot lighter and less bulkier than goggles. Couple of years ago I received a serious eye injury playing baseball requiring surgery. My ophthalmologists said I couldn't afford another close call. Several weeks ago I was cross-training playing squash and my partner hit me near the injured eye with his follow through. I got cut and a black eye. Lucky I was wearing my glasses, it could of been alot more serious. I would like to see more people wearing eye protection.

18. Don

Don Regular Member

Ever had the lenses knocked out? I've knocked out quite a few opponents' lenses. Contacts and protection is the way to go, or prescription lenses on the safety goggles.

19. Sony

Sony Guest

Something to think about but most of us most likely won't get wacked in the eyes. If you play regularily at a club and know the people you are playing, then there is no fear. Always keep your racquet up to protect yourself. If your partner has a mishit and the other team has an easy put away close to the net, then obviously one would move to his/her left/right, racquet up, or duck to avoid getting hit. I'm pretty chicken around the court. If I know there is a chance of getting plunked anywhere on my body, I run for my life. :)

20. jon

jon Guest

my glasses