Team Indonesia's performance in the World Championships 2007

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by badMania, Aug 19, 2007.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Overall, it was a 5* performance by Team Pelatnas in the Proton-BWF World Championships 2007 held at Kuala Lumpur. We managed to win two golds, one silver, and one bronze; equalling the results we achieve in Aneheim 2005.
    Now, let me summarize the performance of each player/pair involved in the tournament.

MEN'S SINGLES
    Taufik Hidayat
    (3/10) -- enough said about him as he lost to Anup Sridhar unexpectedly.

Sony Dwi Kuncoro (9/10) -- a near perfect score for him as he was never even expected to reach the Quarter-Final. Yet, he managed to enter the Final and knocked out Lee Chong Wei, Peter Gade, and Chen Yu along the way. His gallant performance against Lin Dan in the second set will boost his confidence for the upcoming tourneys this year. I hope he can break through to the top 5 by end of this year.

Simon Santoso (6/10) -- ok...he fulfilled his seeding but nearly lost to Nguyen Tien-Minh as early as the first round. So, pass mark for him. He needs to be more consistent and beat higher ranked players to progress up the rankings table :cool:

WOMEN'S SINGLES
    Maria Kristin Yulianti
    (7/10) -- similarly, she fulfilled her seeding and was not expected to beat Zhang Ning. Nevertheless, two wins in her first World Championships are a good result. Can she break to the top 10?

Adriyanti Firdasari (6/10) -- an unlucky draw against Xu Huaiwen in the second round means that she also was not expected to progress further than that. I hope she can break the top 20-25 by end of the year.

WOMEN'S DOUBLES
    Rani Mundiasti/Endang Nursugianti
    (7/10) -- Rani/Endang fulfilled their seeding too. They are a top 16 side, but, still have difficulty in beating pairs like Wong/Chin, Ogura/Shiota, and Jiang/Li. It's hard for them to break into the top 10 if they don't improve their strategies :cool:

Jo Novita/Greysia Polii (4/10) -- an injury to Greysia at the end of the rubber-set and an unlucky first match against Jiang/Li meant that they only lasted a match. Greysia's injury is worrying :cool:

2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Now, for the two events that win the Golds.

MEN'S DOUBLES
    Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan
    (10/10) -- perfect score for them as they managed to beat three strong pairs in Tony/Candra, Choong/Lee, and Jung/Lee. Many ppl might argue that they have yet to play Fu/Cai or Koo/Tan, but, hey, others have done the job for them :D I would expect them to win one or two more titles before the Super Series Finals.

Luluk Hadiyanto/Alvent Yulianto (4/10) -- a shocking defeat to the JAP in the round of 16 meant that they were among one of the failures of the WC this year :cool: Can they rise up to the challenge again and be counted as INA's second pair?

Hendra A. Gunawan/Joko Riyadi (7/10) -- not too bad for AG/Joko as they also fulfilled their seeding in the first WC which should see them rise up to the top 10. Still, they are not consistent and need to work harder to prove that they can be a top 5 pair :cool:

MIXED DOUBLES
    Nova Widianto/Lilyana Natsir
    (10/10) -- many ppl, including myself, are still not convinced of this pair. I even PAWed for Zheng/Gao to win yesterday :cool: But, they proved that they can yet again win the World Championships title and become the first Indonesian pair to win it twice :eek: They also beat China's top 2 pair along the way, so, I guess we shouldn't complain :D Let's see if they can nab a title or two also in the upcoming Super Series events.

Flandy Limpele/Vita Marissa (9/10) -- what a match against Zheng/Gao and it was so very close yet again :cool: They also beat last year's title holder, Robertson/Emms. Flandy's stamina is a suspect whenever the match reaches the third set, but, this pair is definitely one contender for the Olympics medals.

Mohd Rijal/Greysia Polii (8/10) -- an unlucky draw against their senior in the third round and an unexpected injury to Greysia meant that they did not lose a match in their first WC. However, they totally demolish their opponents in the first two rounds. I have high hopes on them for the future :cool: