Training lefthanded-ness

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by wesbutt, Aug 21, 2007.

1. wesbutt

wesbutt Regular Member

Student
    Hey there..i'm 16 years of age and has adopted mostly right handedness, which means my left hand is a noob in badminton...
    so i was thinking...can i still play with my left hand skillfully?
    this means that i have to change my footworks and playing style all to the left hand type rite?
    can i still train to a level thats on par with my right handed-ness at this age?

2. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    i don't think it's too wise to confuse your footwork that way.....lol

i can win newbies in badminton with my left hand, but the footwork gets kinda ugly

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Why would you want to do that?

4. wesbutt

wesbutt Regular Member

Student
    the footworks will get ugly eh....
    i wanna be flexible cuz right now my right hand's got some kinda injury ..i scared it'll not heal ..i love badminton so i err..>_>..wanna try out playing with my left hand...i guess it's hard to adopt the change now eh?since my body is almost fully grown n nt that flexible on the left hand side...

5. Athelete1234

Student
    Just take a break from it, and allow it to heal properly, then continue badminton again.

6. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I don't see why you can't try it. Basketball players usually learn to dribble, shoot and layup with their non-dominant hands, you can probably do the same in badminton.

7. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    I remember a post saying if you can use both of your hands-left and right to play badminton or write a note. It's bad for you-why? I remembered it has something to do with oxygen/brain. I have to search up the thread to show you guys. Just stick to your right hand for now.

8. stumblingfeet

Yikes, haven't any of you ever play a musical instrument? Even though it can't surpass your dominant hand in terms of control, your non-dominant hand is capable of remarkable dexterity. You're not gonna go brain dead from using it.

That being said, unlike basketball there's not much practical use in developing this ability.

9. Athelete1234

Student
    And there are several studies which require rediculous left hand dexterity. Have you ever seen Godowsky's study for left hand in C#- based on Chopin's revolutionary etude? It's insane.

10. stumblingfeet

:eek:

i just youtubed "godowsky + chopin" and yikes those etudes are sick. That stuff is hard enough with two hands, doing it one-handed is unbelievable.

11. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    Using left hand

Hi Guys,
    I tot by using left hand, one will develop his/her right part of the brain too.:pOf course in addition to dexterity.;)
    Lee:D

12. Lefty23

Lefty23 Regular Member

Professional
    I'm a naturally right handed. I learned to play southpaw because of a shoulder injury. Fortunately I was just starting badminton at the time so the learning process wasn't frustrating.

Now when I try playing right-handed I can't even do short backhand serves anymore!

13. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    hmmm but learning with the non-dominant hand means doing footwork in a completely laterally inverted way. and personally i think badminton footwork is harder to master than basketball...lol
    anyway even while basketball players can dribble with both hands, the dominant hand is probably still dominant in one way or another...say, shooting?

14. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    I've always wanted to train up my left hand... for the fun of it, of course. Imagine if I suddenly switched hands to take a supposedly backhand shot... I can just imagine the stunned look on my opponent's face. Lol!

Only thing is, I've never had a real excuse(note the word excuse, not reason) to do it.. till I read this thread... shoulder injury eh... ;)

15. Lefty23

Lefty23 Regular Member

Professional
    Yep! I couldn't keep away from playing for very long, so I just asked a friend to feed me shuttles for several sessions till I found the sweet spot. Imagine how many shuttles I missed before I could actually play!

Footwork is easier to learn left-handed. What's hard is being able to hit the shuttle with the off-hand at all!

16. stumblingfeet

A player who can make plays (including shots) off of either hand is that much more dangerous. It's just like having more strokes available for badminton.

I don't think it should be that bad to learn it. When you learn badminton footwork for the first time, you're probably developing physical capacity, learning movement efficiency, learning to understand what good footwork is, etc as well as, obviously, motor learning. If you want to retrain to do things the other way, motor learning is your only concern. So, there aren't as many roadblocks to your progress.

17. stumblingfeet

Actually, I just remembered this friend of mine. In high school, he was a pretty decent left handed singles player. Then once he got into university, he switched to his right hand. He said that he had better control with it, but less power.

...and he hasn't beaten me since!:rolleyes:

18. Lefty23

Lefty23 Regular Member

Professional
    Actually the opponents don't seem to notice because the of the pace of the game. Or maybe I haven't had opponents that specifically target my right side yet. Usually they know I'm right handed, so they place their shots by my left side. They keep forgetting that's where my racket is by default!

Seriously though, in a real game...the game goes by so fast, and if your feet are doing what they're supposed to, you would never have to switch hands, unless the score's 20-8 in your favor and you want to show off.