stiff flex problem

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by slow_shash, Aug 22, 2007.

1. slow_shash

slow_shash Regular Member

Engineering student
    So this is my story..
    I played with mp44 for a long time, had no problems with it. Four months back I switched over to mp99..it felt ok slightly better than 44. But I couldn't see the big diff, it didn't feel so right, still i stuck with it. A couple of days back started playing with my 44 again ..suddenly my strokes were better than ever before....my smashes were harder and backhand clears were going out!

I am think that i haven't learnt to use such a stiff racquet yet. How can I change/improve my technique?

2. Jurethatsme

Jurethatsme Regular Member

microbiologist
    You did a very big step, when turning from mp44 which is "flexible" to the mp99 which is a "very stiff" racquet. You should have chosen something of "medium" stiffness first... But it's ok, you will get used to it.
    However, I think that the problem is not in the stiffness - what about string tension? I suspect that mp99 has higher tension because it is new I suppose and maybe you just overstrained (lower tension higher repulsion - of course the tension range depends on the user). Is it possible?

3. slow_shash

Engineering student
    my mp44 is strung with ashaway micro at 23lbs. mp99 i have no idea....it was strung when i bought it probably inferior quality strings

4. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    The Difference

Rather than employ a lot of kinetic terms, let us try to illustrate this. :cool:

Imagine two racquets strung to equal tension -- one racquet has a stiff shaft and the other has a flexible shaft.

Imagine now that you are hitting a basic clear with a classic swing action.

Your racquet face begins to travel forward from behind your head to a high point about one-and-a-half armlengths above and slightly ahead of you.
    When the strings meet the shuttle, the racquet face would have travelled a distance of around 6 feet.

With this kind of arcing motion, you need very little power to hit the shuttle to the opposite baseline (all you need to do is get it to fall just 44 feet away, not a mile away). :p

Obviously, the faster your action, the more punch you deliver.
    And this is where it gets interesting.

The long arc gives the flexible shaft what it needs - plenty of time to bend and straighten. It means you get more bang for the buck, i.e., extra power.

But, in a very fast game environment like a competitive doubles match, 6-feet swings will be fewer than the many short-and-quick swings, slashes, jabs and taps. Here, a stiff shaft works wonders.

A stiff shaft, when whipped, bends and straightens almost instantaneously. This means its properties are largely wasted in a long swing. However, in a short and swift movement, it snaps at the shuttle, crashing into it with much greater force than a flexible shaft can hope to achieve.

Forget 6 feet swings... some players can pack a massive punch in just 4 inches. (I'd like to do that too.) :mad:

The choice of flexible or stiff should be dictated by your style of play. If you're fond of swings, flexible is the way to go. If you're the explosive kind, stiff is what you need. From what you have recounted, it seems you are a 'swinger'. :D

Have fun. :)

5. slow_shash

Engineering student
    Can i stop being a 'swinger'. Is it possible to correct my action. I am guessing my forearm should be stronger

6. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Swing Along

No, no... don't stop being a swinger. :)

The basic swing is a critical component in good badminton technique.
    Note that full smashes are born from swings... the faster you swing (not the longer you swing), the more powerful your smash. In fact, you need to whip your racquet.

What you need to develop is a fast and furious 'wrist-punch'. With very little or almost no backswing, you must be able to tap, lift, push, drop and kill the bird.

I'd suggest you remain a swinger until you learn to convert your swings to whips. Simply put, the whipping action is a combination of a very fast swing, proper forearm pronation and snappy wristwork.

You;ll get there soon. :)

7. Jurethatsme

Jurethatsme Regular Member

microbiologist
    To correct this error you realy should watch Zhao videos, for example episode 10, where is pointed out the difference between the 'swinger' and the correct, powerful stroke. Videos can be found on Badminton Central.

8. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

You beat me to the punch. Swing on Baby...

9. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

lol

I just couldn't resist that :D

10. slow_shash

Engineering student
    thanks for ur help guys