• smash

414 19.61%
  • drive

113 5.35%
  • straight net

98 4.64%
  • crosscourt net

904 42.82%
Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phamd124 View Post
    A bit unrelated but I'm just curious about how tall you are (for your serves) and how far do you stand behind the service line on the low serves?
    Actually, i'm quite tall - 5'7 And i stand just behind the service line for my low serves. I think i should maybe stand back a bit more because i always feel a little restricted for some reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aeries View Post
    Actually, i'm quite tall - 5'7 And i stand just behind the service line for my low serves. I think i should maybe stand back a bit more because i always feel a little restricted for some reason.
    Try to flick serve but a low serve.. if you know what I mean. Flick your wrist and only use your wrist. No arm movements but only flick it enough to just pass the net. I am 5'6'' and I used to stand about 20 centimeters behind the line but I realized that this made my opponent drop on me more at the beginning due to the fact that I play doubles. They normally got me on the sides and it's because I wasn't close enough to the front. My coach then taught me this and it's a beau. I'll try to find a video and send you the link of how to do it when I have time but I think you can figure it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phamd124 View Post
    Try to flick serve but a low serve.. if you know what I mean. Flick your wrist and only use your wrist. No arm movements but only flick it enough to just pass the net. I am 5'6'' and I used to stand about 20 centimeters behind the line but I realized that this made my opponent drop on me more at the beginning due to the fact that I play doubles. They normally got me on the sides and it's because I wasn't close enough to the front. My coach then taught me this and it's a beau. I'll try to find a video and send you the link of how to do it when I have time but I think you can figure it out.
    I'll try that flick serve next time i go to my club I've seen a club member who uses that serve all the time, and i find that it's annoying for the receiver to return because she does so well haha. Is it like a low serve, but it's faster? When i return i always do a big backhand lift (my backhand lifts are strongest) which pushes her right to the back - she usually makes a weak return. Thank goodness i've found a way to counter attack it because it is a good serve and it was annoying me too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is a clear and drive??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mingaling88 View Post
    A stong smash from the baseline in doubles..and a tight cross court net shot in mixed!
    Throw urself up to about ur hip-high, then u can make it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me it is the overhead cross court drop shot.

It is real difficult to reverse and hit an overhead cross court drop shot.

Not backhand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hardest shot to master: short serve in doubles.

To master a shot, you have to be able to do it under extreme pressure situations. Finals of a tournament, say. In a tournament situation, if it's slightly high, you're dead. If it's slightly too soft, it's short. People's ability to read and react to shots seem to increase dramatically in tournaments (adrenaline probably has to do a lot with it). And a short serve can go wrong SO easily. A slight bend in the wrist/fingers, and it's either too low or too high. If your arms are slightly higher or lower when you come set, same result.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vote for straight net but also have problem with cross net as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

psychologically....would be the doubles short serve.

skill and timing wise..i'd say a smash return drive when the opponent is smashing at you crosscourt from your forehand side to your backhand side....then..you have to time it perfectly and concentrate the power to hit the shuttle inside out and drive it straight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wristworks View Post
    Hardest shot to master: short serve in doubles.

To master a shot, you have to be able to do it under extreme pressure situations. Finals of a tournament, say. In a tournament situation, if it's slightly high, you're dead. If it's slightly too soft, it's short. People's ability to read and react to shots seem to increase dramatically in tournaments (adrenaline probably has to do a lot with it). And a short serve can go wrong SO easily. A slight bend in the wrist/fingers, and it's either too low or too high. If your arms are slightly higher or lower when you come set, same result.
    Quote Originally Posted by William86_98 View Post
    psychologically....would be the doubles short serve.

This is very true, especially if your opponent is a good receiver. It's really a psychological battle.

As a receiver, I sometimes provoke the server by standing close to the net, expecting that he'd lift it so the attack is ours right away.

And as a server, if i know the receiver is provoking me, I just take my time in serving and focus on making a tight serve, close to the net as much as possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Normally the hardest shot is the the shot which you practice least. Or perhaps the one you haven't tried.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think is combining the footwork and the swing together ... to generated the most power i seem to strugle to do my footwork and the swing now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My most 'unpredicatble' shot is my net shots and drops, i sometimes try to hard to slice it, giving deception and a huge boost when its pulled off, but the consistancy of them are somewhat poor.
    My trouble is that i change my mind at the last minute, and it fluffs up the shots.
    My general game is somewhat perfect apart from that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aeries View Post
    i know what you mean, im 5ft 8in, and i sometimes find it cramped when up close to the net in a doubles serve, and if you lift the racket head,you risk it going above hip.
    So i stand slightly back from the line, 1ft or so back, gives me more room to decide if a short serve or a flic to the back is best

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd have to say the backhand drop which I'm starting to get the hang of but it's just hard to time it right and know when to hit straight or cross with your back turned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave "sparkey" View Post
    i know what you mean, im 5ft 8in, and i sometimes find it cramped when up close to the net in a doubles serve, and if you lift the racket head,you risk it going above hip.
    So i stand slightly back from the line, 1ft or so back, gives me more room to decide if a short serve or a flic to the back is best
    people cheat all the time man, look at the location where they hit the bird, not where they place the bird initially. I do it too, place the bird low and raise it up when hit, the motion is fast that it's hard to notice. you try to hit the bird below your hip in a serve that's gonna be a huge setup because the impact is from the bottom up (hense some people like to turn/tilt/rotate the bird slightly when hit to prevent less of an arc).

A flick serve works really well against new players, it's fast and unexpected, but against ok people, they will slam it right down your face. And i notice the bigger you are, the harder it is to serve against because there isn't alot of place to hit. I'm 5'9.5, and people tend to flick serve my partner (5'4) more than me even though I'm slower.
    Last edited by warlock110; 08-15-2009 at 02:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by huynd View Post
    The clear is not that easy. It's not just sending the shuttle from rear court to rear court, it's about varying height, rythm and also about keeping consistency. For me, when facing a better opponent, I still can play decent backhand drop, cross court, tight net shots, but my clears break down the first.

agreed actually, i find, especially in singles, its the first shot i fluff up

Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast