• smash

412 19.63%
  • drive

112 5.34%
  • straight net

98 4.67%
  • crosscourt net

896 42.69%
Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ooops, 00:45 is actually the start of the rally
    Yeah, but the RTH shot is basically the same, except more difficult and most times more surprising for the opponent. In any case, a good crosscourt drop will be a good way to dig yourself out if you're in trouble as most opponents will anticipate a straight drop or clear.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckie View Post
    Ooops, 00:45 is actually the start of the rally
    Yeah, but the RTH shot is basically the same, except more difficult and most times more surprising for the opponent. In any case, a good crosscourt drop will be a good way to dig yourself out if you're in trouble as most opponents will anticipate a straight drop or clear.
    It's the angle that you can create if you play it right is what is so beneficial. The shuttle just dies in terms of pace, and your opponent is left scrambling and can only play a loose straight net shot (presuming they've played a straight clear and you replied cross court) but it is difficult to get right, and if you play it wrong then you are really struggling in the rally.

The other shot (at 00:45) is played under very little pressure and there is time. Still impressive, useful and just as effective

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, especially with my height. Thankfully, most people assume that I can hit incredibly hard just because of that, and have their defensive stances quite far back. That makes this shot quite lethal if used sparingly
    Somebody had asked before what the shot should look like, that's why I posted it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sUaaHxabrA
    00:39 and 07:21 should give you a general idea of the shot. Please don't watch the 2nd game
    U also did a good drop at 1:28.
    When playing fast, u may want to try "bouncing" back to base from baseline after to u hit - like a quick hop on both feet (same time).

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I know, really not a great game that one. I've been working on footwork and recovery though...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

U hit the nail right on the head - the recovery step! Make it small, but extremely fast.

Yeah, I know, really not a great game that one. I've been working on footwork and recovery though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suprisingly, the backhand crosscourt drop would've been up until recently, but now I'd say the smash. To be able to master it with proper technique is really difficult.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried it yesterday. The drop went well, but didn't go crosscourt. Not sure if I didn't turn the racket face enough (or didn't increase the speed of the swing). May be I should have swing hard, same as a smash.

It's a sliced drop - appears to be a smash, but instead of smashing it straight, you turn the face of the racket and slice the shuttle hard. It's still a fast drop, but should go crosscourt near the sideline.
    You'll also need to go over the shuttle to get it to go down quickly (it's not a stop drop), so it's more like 2 o'clock for a right-hander.
    I'll see if I have some footage of it - but I doubt it^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by captaincook View Post
    I tried it yesterday. The drop went well, but didn't go crosscourt. Not sure if I didn't turn the racket face enough (or didn't increase the speed of the swing). May be I should have swing hard, same as a smash.
    You should swing hard and cut the shutllecock...then it will be a disguised cross drop.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by captaincook View Post
    Swing exactly the same as if you were going to play a flat longline smash (to the base line), but turn the face of the racket to the left. That should result in a nice sliced crosscourt drop going just over the net - if necessary, adapt the angles until you get it right. It's important that you keep the swing straight to create the deception, it's very easy to forget about that and give away the direction early.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Backhand straight drop IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Backhand cross court smash is hard

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any shot you can't do!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all subjective. We all have different strengths and weaknesses but for me, the most difficult shot to master has been the tight dropshot, especially the in-to-out sliced cross court dropshot with a bit of deception.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The doubles low serve is the most difficult shot to master. This is the only shot that is governed by a set of rules and hence the presence of service judges to regulate it during official tournaments.

Besides, the opponents is always in a ready position (threatening most of the time) to pounce on any less than perfect service. The server is always under constant pressure to perform this shot.

Sometimes a match is decided by the quality of the serve.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flite View Post
    The doubles low serve is the most difficult shot to master. This is the only shot that is governed by a set of rules and hence the presence of service judges to regulate it during official tournaments.

Besides, the opponents is always in a ready position (threatening most of the time) to pounce on any less than perfect service. The server is always under constant pressure to perform this shot.

Sometimes a match is decided by the quality of the serve.
    I don't think the low serve in doubles is a difficult shot to master, it's just a difficult shot to do consistently well.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about your opponent pouncing, it's going to happen however well you play the serve. In most cases, it's down to your partner to return it back. As long as you don't make it too easy for the receiver, it should be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R20190 View Post
    I don't think the low serve in doubles is a difficult shot to master, it's just a difficult shot to do consistently well.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about your opponent pouncing, it's going to happen however well you play the serve. In most cases, it's down to your partner to return it back. As long as you don't make it too easy for the receiver, it should be fine.
    What is the difference between a difficult shot to master than a shot that is difficult to do well consistently?

If you are able to execute a quality serve, more often than not the shuttle would end up at the net or would went out/wide if your opponent (the receiver) still try to force a push/attacking shots simply because there is very limited (or none at all) angles and space for the receiver to work on and therefore you and your partner holds the advantage in the next few shots which eventually would win you the rally.

It does not only required skills when comes to the double low serve but mental toughness and intelligence comes into play as well.

Anyhow, this is my personal opinion and it boils down on the individual at the end of the day as to which shots is the most difficult to master.

Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast