• smash

404 19.64%
  • drive

108 5.25%
  • straight net

94 4.57%
  • crosscourt net

878 42.68%
Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still having trouble with pretty much anything backhand. Because I learned myself wrong technique using only my wrist instead of my lower arm. Really trying hard last weeks to learn the right technique but it's hard.

My jump smash is also non existant. My "normal" smash is pretty powerfull and I can't really jump that high so I never tried to learn it, when I do try it my timing is bad so it is weaker than my normal smash.

The rest of the strokes are pretty decent by now (been playing for 6 years). My strongest shots are (compared to others from my level); backhand short serve, overhead smash and forehand drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckie View Post
    Nope. 'Only' the standing BH smash
    You're forgetting Thomas Cup 2004 and India Open 2009
    I'm pretty sure those were jumping BH smashes.
    He also did one in an exhibition match against a youngster.

3. Likes visor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just throwing this out there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYiij4CU57Y

It's not a jump in the same sense a a jump-smash jump (double-footed), but it is a small jump. Or a very big step + pirouette
    Last edited by amleto; 05-11-2013 at 07:54 AM.

5. Likes visor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^^ Lol... that`s exactly what I remembered and googled too. Full piroutte backhand smash by TH. The look on his opponent's face is priceless: he was just left standing there speechless with his jaw hanging to the ground.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplayer View Post
    The shot I would vote for isn't there: the short serve in doubles. It's the easiest and hardest shot all at the same time.

Wayne Young
    I agree. For reasons that I can't explain, my serve is my weakness shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider View Post
    I agree. For reasons that I can't explain, my serve is my weakness shot.
    and fortunately that is the easiest one to practice

all you need is a court and 2 dozen birds ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    Still having trouble with pretty much anything backhand. Because I learned myself wrong technique using only my wrist instead of my lower arm. Really trying hard last weeks to learn the right technique but it's hard.

My jump smash is also non existant. My "normal" smash is pretty powerfull and I can't really jump that high so I never tried to learn it, when I do try it my timing is bad so it is weaker than my normal smash.

The rest of the strokes are pretty decent by now (been playing for 6 years). My strongest shots are (compared to others from my level); backhand short serve, overhead smash and forehand drive.
    Is it just me or that short people like me aren't that effective with the jump smash? I'm about 5'8.5" tall. My accuracy goes way down when I try it so it's not a move that I will do unless there's more than enough time for me to set myself up for it.

My backhand is pretty decent. Even for a skinny guy like me, I can hit the birdie to the back court without much trouble. The only time I'll encounter a bit of difficulty is if the birdie goes slightly behind me while I'm running and I can't quite get enough swing speed to hit it to the rear court. It's not that often my opponent will get me into that position, but if they do, I'll be in trouble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    and fortunately that is the easiest one to practice

all you need is a court and 2 dozen birds ...
    It's strange because I don't ever really practice it. As soon as I get on the court, we just start rallying and practice smashing. lol! I also serve with a forward underhand motion because that's how I learned the game. I did tried to serve the way how most of you guys serve, but it just doesn't work. lol! It doesn't feel natural to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by quixilver View Post
    I can't do that shot either. Taufik must be really strong to hit it like that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's strange because I don't ever really practice it. As soon as I get on the court, we just start rallying and practice smashing. lol! I also serve with a forward underhand motion because that's how I learned the game. I did tried to serve the way how most of you guys serve, but it just doesn't work. lol! It doesn't feel natural to me.
    heh... i just get to the courts 15-20mins earlier, and if it's free that's when i'll practice serving

for doubles, you really should be serving backhand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heh... i just get to the courts 15-20mins earlier, and if it's free that's when i'll practice serving

for doubles, you really should be serving backhand
    I know, but at the same time, I don't see any practical advantages. Is there one? I mean, as long as the birdie goes across the net and not too high so that they can hit it right back at me right? It's a success as long as my opponent hits my serve up right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I know, but at the same time, I don't see any practical advantages. Is there one? I mean, as long as the birdie goes across the net and not too high so that they can hit it right back at me right? It's a success as long as my opponent hits my serve up right?
    it depends on the level of play i suppose... at higher levels, the serve (after so much effort to win a point) is the most important shot you can control

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it depends on the level of play i suppose... at higher levels, the serve (after so much effort to win a point) is the most important shot you can control
    I've been playing this game for about two decades so I'd like to think that I am better than average. I think I read somewhere that a serve in badminton is not as important as a serve for tennis. I created a thread asking what are the practical advantage of serving with either backhand or forehand, but no one was able to tell me. I don't mind changing for the better. I have always considered myself a student of the game and I believe that there's always room for improvement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been playing this game for about two decades so I'd like to think that I am better than average. I think I read somewhere that a serve in badminton is not as important as a serve for tennis. I created a thread asking what are the practical advantage of serving with either backhand or forehand, but no one was able to tell me. I don't mind changing for the better. I have always considered myself a student of the game and I believe that there's always room for improvement.
    The FH serve travels a longer distance to the net, leaving more time for your opponent to react. Also, the BH serve can be varied easier (serving all 4 front positions without obvious/any tells). Generally speaking, BH serves are a lot tighter. Some guys in my club used to or still serve forehand, and their short serves are not as tight as most BH serves. The only apparent advantage of a FH serve is that even with a weak wrist/finger action you'll still be able to send it long without too much of a swing...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Lol... that`s exactly what I remembered and googled too. Full piroutte backhand smash by TH. The look on his opponent's face is priceless: he was just left standing there speechless with his jaw hanging to the ground.
    These too, I think they count as jumps

Last edited by speedyambarish; 05-12-2013 at 07:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckie View Post
    The FH serve travels a longer distance to the net, leaving more time for your opponent to react. Also, the BH serve can be varied easier (serving all 4 front positions without obvious/any tells). Generally speaking, BH serves are a lot tighter. Some guys in my club used to or still serve forehand, and their short serves are not as tight as most BH serves. The only apparent advantage of a FH serve is that even with a weak wrist/finger action you'll still be able to send it long without too much of a swing...
    lol! I'm the only guy that does the FH serve with my group. I should really start practicing my BH serve in my spare time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jurethatsme View Post
    For me, the toughest shot is a back-court-backhand-behind-the-back-full-cross-court-jump-smash. I don't know why but it hurts and I never succeed...
    ><

Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast