Yonex Tried and Tested

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Slanter, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

I attended a Yonex Demo yesterday and tried out most of the range. I normally play with a Ti-10 Long but also use the old Tour 800. The MP-100 was extremely impressive in attack but had significant shortfalls racquet head control - not a great doubles racquet. The SP SS had a very 'dead' feel - not my cup of tea. The SP SX on the other hand was much more responsive, generating much more power - excelleng doubles racquet. MP-77 same as SP SS.

The new MP-88, however, was simply sublime, producing power with much less effort than all but the MP-100 but without it's control problems. All racquets were 3U. All were strung at 20lbs from factory. If you are looking for a new racquet then at least test the MP-88, especially if you like the SP SX, Ti-10 or Tour 800.

The price is less of an obstacle the more you buy. I have 3 friends interested in buying 2 racquets each, so the £120 price tag is already below £100. Collaborate in your purchasing for the best deals

2. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    I've a MP80 4U and I found it is too weak, even weaker than Ti SP SA. How do you compare MP80 (or MP88) 3U with Ti SP SR/SS ?

3. Iwan

Iwan Guest

he said the rackets he tested were 3u not 4u :)

4. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

It is nice to know that Mp 88 i slike Mp 100! But How head heavy is it compared to Ti 10 3U and SX! That would be a nice comparision! so to the stiffness!

5. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    I know he was talking about a 3U MP88 - as I want to find out whether it is worth to buy another 3U MP80/88. The 4U version is very disappointed, to be honest.

6. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

All my observations about racquet testing are necessarily subjective, but the MP-88 and to a lesser extent the SP SX felt very 'active' in the shot. I could feel them doing the work.

The Yonex dude was trying to explain to me in fine (rehearsed) detail the different merits of the racquets but I really didn't listen. I do remember that he said the MP-88 had 2 different flexes in the shaft. I am not surprised that a lighter version of the MP-88 is disappointing as the head will probably utilise less of the power potential in the shaft. Going on that theory the 2U could be even better. The 3U did not feel head heavy after the Ti-10, but the MP-100 did.

Finally, the MP-88 is probably where the Yonex dudes are getting their bonuses at the moment. He was so desperate to sell that one he ignored several people who were expressing an interest in the others.