String Diameter

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Adam, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Adam

Adam Guest

Hi there. I recently bought a Wilson Hyper Carbon 9.0. This racket is designed for power. It has a low kickpoint and a flexible shaft. I was wondering what the diameter of a string matters in terms of power, reliability, and control. I have to restring my racket and am looking for pointers. Thanks

2. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Oh you mean the "guage" of the string. Well string does matter in a way of duribitliy, power, aerodynamics and other stuff which affects the performance. I'm not sure about the full details if you're looking for but it's a general idea.

Well I could recommend a string you can use. It's the Gosen Roots B505 string. It comes in 3 colors, white, purple and yellow. It's a .22 gauage string made from synthetic gut and it's also powerful, durable and soft. You can look at the reviews on Badminton Central for more details.

3. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

Thin gauge = higher performance, shorter life.

Thick gauge = lesser performance, longer life.

Check out www.babolat.com or www.bowbrand.co.uk. Both make a range of strings including synthetic and gut and have some information on choice of string.

4. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Thin gauge /= to higher performance.

I've tried quite a number or strings over the years and thinner gauge does not imply that its better!!

If it were the case, BG-66 would be Yonex's "Top-of-the-line" string. And not the BG88Ti or BG-85 or BG-68Ti for that matter.

5. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Actaully from what I heard is that Yonex's specs are not corrrect so they are thinner than what the spec saids. ie. bg 68, is 0.66 guage, but that's when it's not stretched, so when it's stretched, it's thinner than .66 so it breaks easily. So it's a bit of a trick. The Yonex which still lasts the longest is the 70. I also know that color matters for Yonex because the thickness of the string is not the same.

I used to with Yonex until I got fed up with them because I had BG-80 and it would break within like 2 weeks until I got advised from a badminton rep to go with Gosen Roots B505 (.98 guage) string. That is made from synthetic gut which is better BG-80 since it lasted a whole lot longer. Gosen strings specs don't lie however. When it's .68 guage, that will be the guage when it's stretched and color doesn't matter.